• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F35 Speaker Review

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How big of a deal is the rear port for near front wall setups? My home theater setup is quite close to the wall and I think I'm only going to have a max of 14-16"? Both the M16 and F35 are rear ported which are the speakers I am considering upgrading to for my mains for my home theater setup. My room isn't huge but I'm looking at these as 10+ year speakers for me. Does the F206 with its front port perform better in these circumstances or is it a non issue? They are a bit spendier but I might be able to swing it.
Crossed at 80 Hz to subs, I doubt even being 1 x port diameter from the wall would produce the slightest issue. Even full range, this would simply serve to possibly *slightly* lower port tune as the proximity to the wall would serve as an extension to the port. AFAIK. The old concept of speakers needing to be pulled way out from a wall is from the olden days before eq. where boundary gain increases bass response. EQ pulls this down and simply results in lower distortion and more output capability(along with higher fidelity of course).

Sluraad

Crossed at 80 Hz to subs, I doubt even being 1 x port diameter from the wall would produce the slightest issue. Even full range, this would simply serve to possibly *slightly* lower port tune as the proximity to the wall would serve as an extension to the port. AFAIK. The old concept of speakers needing to be pulled way out from a wall is from the olden days before eq. where boundary gain increases bass response. EQ pulls this down and simply results in lower distortion and more output capability(along with higher fidelity of course).
Thanks, your posts have been some that I have been reading as I'm also trying to figure out the center channel.

I've got an oldschool B&W N-HTM2 that I really love but want to match whatever new mains I get with the center channel, so a C25 for the F35s would be the logical fit. It just barely clears my 19.75" furniture front opening width maximum so thats the direction I'm pointing.

I noticed you got rid of your C25 in favor of the RC263 center, though from what I can read the C25 seems on paper like it would be a bit better. However, the RC263 is a good performer and the price is very attractive and the W M+T W design does appear better for horizontal dispersion. How does the timbre matching sound with the F35s?

*edit: I misread the width, the RC263 is too big for me, as is the RC252, so I guess those are out.

Bear123

Thanks, your posts have been some that I have been reading as I'm also trying to figure out the center channel.

I've got an oldschool B&W N-HTM2 that I really love but want to match whatever new mains I get with the center channel, so a C25 for the F35s would be the logical fit. It just barely clears my 19.75" furniture front opening width maximum so thats the direction I'm pointing.

I noticed you got rid of your C25 in favor of the RC263 center, though from what I can read the C25 seems on paper like it would be a bit better. However, the RC263 is a good performer and the price is very attractive and the W M+T W design does appear better for horizontal dispersion. How does the timbre matching sound with the F35s?

*edit: I misread the width, the RC263 is too big for me, as is the RC252, so I guess those are out.
I'm considering selling my C25, I still have it sitting unused in my workout room system. It has lower distortion than the RC263 up until it reaches its clean output limit, which is earlier than the RC263. Off axis performance was not as good as the RC263 in my room although I strongly suspect it is significantly better than many 2 way MTM horizontal centers due to the smaller woofers and very close spacing. The RC263 blocks an inch of the bottom of my screen but its not the end of the world, and I'm moving next spring so its temporary. Often, it's not an issue as serious viewing(movies) typically have black bars top and bottom anyhow.

MrPeabody

Certainly when the crossover to the sub is an octave higher than the port peak frequency, it wouldn't matter how close to the wall the speaker is. But my thought is that even without the high-pass filtering, that much distance from the wall is probably more than it needs to be. The pressure wave leaving the port passes immediately through the wall of a virtual cylinder. The area for this cylinder naturally expands, moving from the port toward the edges of the rear surface of the speaker. As such it seems that only the cylinder area immediately at the port would be important, and it should only need to be slightly greater than the area of the port. The area of this cylinder is 2 x pi x r x D, where D is the distance to the wall. If you set this equal to pi x r^2 and solve for D, you get D = r/2. It seems that 3r/2 should be more than adequate even if the speaker is operated with the high-pass filter.

Denon545

I'm considering selling my C25, I still have it sitting unused in my workout room system. It has lower distortion than the RC263 up until it reaches its clean output limit, which is earlier than the RC263. Off axis performance was not as good as the RC263 in my room although I strongly suspect it is significantly better than many 2 way MTM horizontal centers due to the smaller woofers and very close spacing. The RC263 blocks an inch of the bottom of my screen but its not the end of the world, and I'm moving next spring so its temporary. Often, it's not an issue as serious viewing(movies) typically have black bars top and bottom anyhow.

I haven't heard the C25, but I have the RC263 and it is the best center I have heard and I've tried a bunch. SVS Ultra, Klipsch RC-64 III, Elac, etc.

CatDad

Would it be crazy to do these F35s coupled with either F208s or F226Bes in the front? The F35s would be for surround duty. I was considering the F206s for surrounds but perhaps the F35s might be another good, cheaper option to consider?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it be crazy to do these F35s coupled with either F208s or F226Bes in the front? The F35s would be for surround duty. I was considering the F206s for surrounds but perhaps the F35s might be another good, cheaper option to consider?

How far away are the surrounds? I generally prefer bookshelfs for surrounds as people can sometimes sit pretty close to them, and bookshelfs need less room to properly integrate the drivers.

CatDad

How far away are the surrounds? I generally prefer bookshelfs for surrounds as people can sometimes sit pretty close to them, and bookshelfs need less room to properly integrate the drivers.
We have plenty of room on the sides and the backs in this room so it sounds like towers could work. I was more concerned with the quality of the F35 vs F206 for the surrounds. Thank you!

theshade

In the rankings, this shows up as 5.6 preference rating. I finished reading the entire thread and cannot find the preference rating except for the 4.9 in the 1st page. I also saw in a recent post that amir has yet to upload the new spins and he will upload it shortly. I guess the rating could mislead people if they have not read the whole thread or is there something I missed? Thanks.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
In the rankings, this shows up as 5.6 preference rating. I finished reading the entire thread and cannot find the preference rating except for the 4.9 in the 1st page. I also saw in a recent post that amir has yet to upload the new spins and he will upload it shortly. I guess the rating could mislead people if they have not read the whole thread or is there something I missed? Thanks.
Don't rely on preference ratings. Stick with the reviews. F36 preferred for larger woofers. Couple with anthem room correction or Dirac.

500Homeruns

Hello all! I have enjoyed the forum for some time, but I believe this is my first post.
I have a pair of Revel F36 (white) in my current system. I plan to use them in my new 5.2 system when the construction of our new house is complete. My question is: How would the F35’s work to complete my surround sound system (center channel and two surround speakers)? The room they will be in will be an open concept and on the larger side (3500 cubic feet).
I plan on using my Marantz SR7013 with a Monolith amplifier (5x200) to power them.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello all! I have enjoyed the forum for some time, but I believe this is my first post.
I have a pair of Revel F36 (white) in my current system. I plan to use them in my new 5.2 system when the construction of our new house is complete. My question is: How would the F35’s work to complete my surround sound system (center channel and two surround speakers)? The room they will be in will be an open concept and on the larger side (3500 cubic feet).
I plan on using my Marantz SR7013 with a Monolith amplifier (5x200) to power them.
It would be ideal... If you can accommodate 5 floor standing speakers that would be the ideal.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Definitely stay in the family ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They should make for an excellent multich music system!
All you have to consider now is what to use on the ceiling for Atoms/Auro 3D playback. ;)

cardsdoc

Highly considering F36's x 3 for LCR as part of a dedicated basement HT I'm planning. Center would be behind an AT screen and L/R would likely be beside screen but may play with placement. In order for center drivers to clear screen bottom would likely have to raise speakers. I'm estimating about 6" but could be a little more or less. Sitting at 10ft for first row I think this is only ~ 3 degrees off axis if my math is right. Would there be any issue with this? How much off axis vertically would be acceptable based on the measurement data? Second row will be on a >12" riser so this may actually be ideal to raise them a bit anyway. I could do M16's x 3 but would prefer the towers if I could. Thanks.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Highly considering F36's x 3 for LCR as part of a dedicated basement HT I'm planning. Center would be behind an AT screen and L/R would likely be beside screen but may play with placement. In order for center drivers to clear screen bottom would likely have to raise speakers. I'm estimating about 6" but could be a little more or less. Sitting at 10ft for first row I think this is only ~ 3 degrees off axis if my math is right. Would there be any issue with this? How much off axis vertically would be acceptable based on the measurement data? Second row will be on a >12" riser so this may actually be ideal to raise them a bit anyway. I could do M16's x 3 but would prefer the towers if I could. Thanks.
No reply? Use the towers. Use Dirac or Anthem for room correction.

Descartes

Major Contributor
How about the surround speakers?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
MSRP so hopefully you got dealer prices 50% less + 20% as a demo piece!
Rumor is, he got them off the back of the shipping dock's at 2:00 AM.
But that's only the rumor.

fcracer

Forum Donor
Managed to finally snag a pair of these in white. Harman seems to be actively trying to not sell their home audio products in Asia. Took more than a year to find a set! Looking forward to hearing them in action after reading so much about Revel’s engineering ethos.

Top Bottom