• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F35 / F36, or? Can't find any good speakers in this price range.

fjhuerta

Hello all,

After owning a Concerta2 M16 and trading for a Focal Aria 926, I decided I need something else. The Arias aren't bad but their sonic balance leans towards... lean. Too bright for me, and even with EQ, I do not really enjoy them. I'd have rather kept the M16.

So, I'm looking for a pair to replace the Focals. The F35/ F36 seem like a sure bet, but a) they are very difficult to get in Mexico, and b) they are expensive (the F35 goes for $2.1K a pair, and the F36 for $2.6K).

I've been thinking about what could replace them, but we have a very limited selection of easy to get speakers (size issues, I guess). I can get a pair of PSB Imagine 2xt (for $1.3K), Monitor Audio Bronze 500 (for $1.5K) or Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G (for close to.... $2.8K).

I'd assume the PSBs are not in the same league, and neither the Bronzes. I couldn't find any significant measurements for those. I've read about the Silver 500s, but they seem inferior to even the F35s (although with higher power handling). The good thing about the Silver 500s is that they are readily available, while the F36 will take me a couple of weeks or months to find.

I cannot, again, listen to the speakers beforehand...except for the Silvers, which I listened to in a showroom full of people and other speakers playing. I could not get an idea of what they can do.

I think the Revels are the safest bet, but I'm open to being talked out of them for the Silver 500s. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello all,

After owning a Concerta2 M16 and trading for a Focal Aria 926, I decided I need something else. The Arias aren't bad but their sonic balance leans towards... lean. Too bright for me, and even with EQ, I do not really enjoy them. I'd have rather kept the M16.

So, I'm looking for a pair to replace the Focals. The F35/ F36 seem like a sure bet, but a) they are very difficult to get in Mexico, and b) they are expensive (the F35 goes for $2.1K a pair, and the F36 for $2.6K).

I've been thinking about what could replace them, but we have a very limited selection of easy to get speakers (size issues, I guess). I can get a pair of PSB Imagine 2xt (for $1.3K), Monitor Audio Bronze 500 (for $1.5K) or Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G (for close to.... $2.8K).

I'd assume the PSBs are not in the same league, and neither the Bronzes. I couldn't find any significant measurements for those. I've read about the Silver 500s, but they seem inferior to even the F35s (although with higher power handling). The good thing about the Silver 500s is that they are readily available, while the F36 will take me a couple of weeks or months to find.

I cannot, again, listen to the speakers beforehand...except for the Silvers, which I listened to in a showroom full of people and other speakers playing. I could not get an idea of what they can do.

I think the Revels are the safest bet, but I'm open to being talked out of them for the Silver 500s. Any thoughts?
get the revels.. either model but preferably the f36 so you won't "what if" yourself into another upgrade...you obviously know what you like...

OP
F

fjhuerta

And the plot thickens. The dealer has the F206 for 25% discount. In Mexico, that means MSRP; $3.4K.

So... F36 or for 800 dolllars more,. the F206.

OP
F

fjhuerta

I have the F36 now boxed. I'm about to pull the trigger and go for the F206.... I'm only thinking that will always regret not getting the F206 at this price.

airgas1998

but..but...the 208's....i know you must stop somewhere, right?...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I know what you're going through.
My advice (since 'tis not my money :D) :Get the F208!! Later add subwoofers... You may be satisfied for a long while. After a lot of work to integrate the subwoofers with the mains. People here can guide on this...

Peace.

Last edited:
OP
F

fjhuerta

Oh, it's not the F208, it's the F206.

I'm really on the fence, since from what I've read, the F36 have a better bass response than the 206, but overall, the 206 is the better speaker. I won't be adding a sub (at least, for now).

One thing I hadn't noticed is how the F36s have 3 more dBs sensitivity. This is somewhat crucial for me, because I'll be using them with vintage tube amps (McIntosh MC30s and MC240). This may be indeed a deal breaker to get the 206s.

A couple of hours until I have to make my decision!

Last edited:

tw 2022

Oh, it's not the F208, it's the F206.

I'm really on the fence, since from what I've read, the F36 have a better bass response than the 206, but overall, the 206 is the better speaker. I won't be adding a sub (at least, for now).

One thing I hadn't noticed is how the F36s have 3 more dBs sensitivity. This is somewhat crucial for me, because I'll be using them with vintage tube amps (McIntosh MC30s and MC240). This may be indeed a deal breaker to get the 206s.

A couple of hours until I have to make my decision!
under those conditions the f36 may be better, i've heard them , they are pretty good.. they certainly won't embarrass you when you have friends over...

OP
F

fjhuerta

PXL_20220924_173734498.jpg
I had forgotten I also have a pair of MC-260s :)

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
And the plot thickens. The dealer has the F206 for 25% discount. In Mexico, that means MSRP; $3.4K.

So... F36 or for 800 dolllars more,. the F206.
I've got the M16, S16, M106 & F206, get the F206 and get a sub if you can. I've found that I don't want to inch up the product line from there to the F208s, considering size, cost and incremental improvement. If money, space and others weren't considerations... sure... the 328Be's would be great... lol. If you can afford the F206, you won't be disappointed for the additional investment, I'm not anyways. Good luck.

OP
F

fjhuerta

I did buy the 206. I was really torn between the 36 because of their sensitivity. I wanted to keep them really bad. But in the end I was convinced I do want a great midrange over extra volume.

So instead of using my MC30s I decided to use my 60s. Which will basically give me the same volume as before.

It was a really tough decision, since I loved my M16s. But from talking to the dealer and looking at the spinoramas, I'm convinced I will have a better speaker to begin with, and by adding a pair of subs later I'll probably have a far better one than if I had started with the 36s.

That, plus the 25% off, which I had never seen before on the 206 (or any Revel, for that matter) sealed the deal.

I'm installing them and they look drop dead gorgeous...

Attachments

• PXL_20220924_191333719.jpg
    PXL_20220924_191333719.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can bridge/parallel tube amps easily. Even a pair of mono amps can be hooked up for more power. Might as well use them if you have them should you feel a bit more power is needed. Paralleling reduces output impedance too which might help the tube amps control the ported bass better.

Bren Derlin

Congrats on the purchase, and enjoy the speakers.

I was in similar boat a few weeks ago. Looking to replace the M16's in our basement set-up, as those were going upstairs to replace a pair of 18 year old speakers. The M106 speakers were on sale for a great price, and grabbed them without pause. Absolutely love the purchase, and have the sub dialed in. The Performa3 seems to be a definite step up from the Concerta2 line.

Top Bottom