• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F328Be Speaker Review

Descartes

Major Contributor
80 Hz is a good place to start whether for music or movies i.e. all listening. 2 speakers can't do what a pair of properly positioned subs can do. No sense having fantastic, high fidelity speakers to end up with a low fidelity frequency response.

So then why bother buying such expensive speakers if it is to cross them over at 80Hz one is better of with bookshelf or stand mounted speakers!!

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So then why bother buying such expensive speakers if it is to cross them over at 80Hz one is better of with bookshelf or stand mounted speakers!!

There are still advantages to the bigger models. Whether or not those advantages justify the price difference is another matter. Subwoofers definitely reduce the advantages that the 328 has over the 228 or 226.

The bigger models will still be able to play louder and with lower distortion, even crossed to subs at 80Hz. In this case in particular, the F328Be is a newer product, with newer(supposedly) better drivers, and a newer and better waveguide. Compared to the bookshelf speakers in the same line, it also is 3 way instead of 2 way.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Because 80-300 Hz is handled tremendously better with three woofers and a large cabinet, vs one small woofer and a small cabinet, where heavy distortion sets in very early. This is clearly evident in every speaker Amir has reviewed, even at very close 1m distances.

Also because 80 Hz crossover is not a brick wall and excellent extension and output capability below 80 Hz ensures good sound quality and integration with subs. So capable towers do this much better than bookshelves. Also aesthetics compared to small speakers balancing precariously on stands. Again, the same reasons Floyd Toole crosses his Salon 2's over at 80 Hz(i think). The purpose of a great sound system is good sound quality. This is best achieved by crossing to good subs that can be placed properly. Regardless how capable the speakers are, good subs are even better below 80 Hz.

amper42

Major Contributor

I have some great bookshelf speakers (BMRs). They sound wonderful in a smaller 11' x 12' room. Can't complain at all. However, the Revel F328Be is a whole different level in a bigger 22'x 24' room or larger. The punch these speakers put out is breath taking. And linear bass down to 29Hz from a single cabinet with this kind of power is awesome.

I have dual HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subs. They do a great job - but, I much prefer the sound of running the Revel F328Be full range. It's a tight, consistent sound that definitely meets my needs for stereo. I won't be running subs unless I'm using it with home theatre. Even then, I will run the F328Be full range and turn off one of the subs. Bass with the F328Be is a significantly different sound than with a sub. It's hard to convince someone of this view until you hear it and spend time comparing the different possible configurations.

The cost of the speaker is relative. Nobody pays retail and deals are readily available. I was originally looking at the F228Be but the F328Be caught my eye. I can't even imagine comparing the F328Be to a Bookshelf with a sub(s) and think it's the same sound. :D

amper42

Major Contributor
I pulled out REW and measured the difference between the Denon 4700 in Direct mode with the Revel F328Be and compared it with using Audyssey with RLO settings of 0, 5, 10 and 15. Direct mode is in Red. REW was set with a 75dB volume match for each sample.

As you can see Audyssey raises the 29Hz FR to 75dB with the RLO +5 setting and elevates highs over 5000Hz by 2dB. I thought it was interesting to visualize how Audyssey Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset (RLO) settings impact the frequency response compared to direct mode.

328 Compare RLO.png

Last edited:

Bear123

I pulled out REW and measured the difference between the Denon 4700 in Direct mode with the Revel F328Be and compared it with using Audyssey with RLO settings of 0, 5, 10 and 15. Direct mode is in Red. REW was set with a 75dB volume match for each sample.

As you can see Audyssey raises the 29Hz FR to 75dB with the RLO +5 setting and elevates highs over 5000Hz by 2dB. I thought it was interesting to visualize how Audyssey Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset (RLO) settings impact the frequency response compared to direct mode.

View attachment 124658
The F328Be are amazing, end game speakers! Congrats and glad you are loving them. However, the above graph also illustrates that, no matter how good the speakers are.....well placed subs and eq are necessary for optimal sound quality. The response below 400 Hz is an excellent illustration of why. 15 dB variations in response and rolled off below 40 Hz.

I'm a little surprised your Hsu subs aren't quite up to snuff for you but then, your speakers may just be outclassing them a bit.
Another possibility is less than optimal setup/placement. Do you have them placed symmetrically on your front stage for aesthetics?

Again, the Hsu subs are very good values for the money but maybe stepping up to a bit higher quality like Rythmik might be a better match? Just thinking out loud. I've heard lots of subs over the years(Polk PSW110, JBL550P, SVS PB12-NSD, PB2000, PSA XV15se, PSA XS30, SI HST-18, Dayton PA-460, BMS18n862, PSA S1512, Rythmik FV15HP, and JTR S2x4). Rythmik definitely has a bit of a different sound than others.

Also, thanks for posting the RLO graph..I always found it a bit confusing to visualize what setting did what. Its clear the RLO of 0 provides the most boost, while RLO -15 provides the least.

As far as cost goes....although the F328Be are currently not in budget for me, I think they are worth the money. Objectively superb speakers with very low distortion and higher SPL capability than lesser priced speakers within the lineup. It seems like the higher price legitimately gets higher quality and better performance. Compare these to the cost of high end audio jewelry speakers and they are a bargain. I think you are getting what you pay for with these, and not just prestige and/or a name brand. These would be my cost no object, end game speakers.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
The F328Be are amazing, end game speakers! Congrats and glad you are loving them. However, the above graph also illustrates that, no matter how good the speakers are.....well placed subs and eq are necessary for optimal sound quality. The response below 400 Hz is an excellent illustration of why. 15 dB variations in response and rolled off below 40 Hz.

I'm a little surprised your Hsu subs aren't quite up to snuff for you but then, your speakers may just be outclassing them a bit.
Another possibility is less than optimal setup/placement. Do you have them placed symmetrically on your front stage for aesthetics?

Again, the Hsu subs are very good values for the money but maybe stepping up to a bit higher quality like Rythmik might be a better match? Just thinking out loud. I've heard lots of subs over the years(Polk PSW110, JBL550P, SVS PB12-NSD, PB2000, PSA XV15se, PSA XS30, SI HST-18, Dayton PA-460, BMS18n862, PSA S1512, Rythmik FV15HP, and JTR S2x4). Rythmik definitely has a bit of a different sound than others.

Also, thanks for posting the RLO graph..I always found it a bit confusing to visualize what setting did what. Its clear the RLO of 0 provides the most boost, while RLO -15 provides the least.

As far as cost goes....although the F328Be are currently not in budget for me, I think they are worth the money. Objectively superb speakers with very low distortion and higher SPL capability than lesser priced speakers within the lineup. It seems like the higher price legitimately gets higher quality and better performance. Compare these to the cost of high end audio jewelry speakers and they are a bargain. I think you are getting what you pay for with these, and not just prestige and/or a name brand. These would be my cost no object, end game speakers.

The REW measurements are taken 9 feet out into the room. I could measure 3 or 6 foot from the F328Be and get a smoother graph, but what I was looking for was "what is the room effect on FR". You are absolutely right that I'll need to look at placement and EQ to smooth out response. The speakers are now setup in a unilateral triangle to the listening area of 11' on each side. I have not tried measuring with Revel foam port inserts, moving them or room treatment. Just been enjoying them. Obviously, I have more work to do. Thanks for the suggestions.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

amper42

Major Contributor
I was expecting the reviewer to test both in his system, alone or maybe complemented by subwoofers, and give his opinion. The article only cited specs and quotes other people.... Disappointing.

I totally agree. I came away from the Revel F328Be vs Salon2 article with absolutely no answers. Instead, I was offered contrary subjective quotes from listeners other than the writer - mostly Revel employees and PR.

I would be surprised if that type of content could pass editorial scrutiny from a serious fact based organization. It's pretty easy to fall into this mode, when the writer sees their primary responsibility as mainly offering Harmon PR rather than putting in the work and providing science based content.

It's rare to find quality comparative reviews of high end speakers from any of the mainstream audio review sources.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I totally agree. I came away from the Revel F328Be vs Salon2 article with absolutely no answers. Instead, I was offered contrary subjective quotes from listeners other than the writer - mostly Revel employees and PR.

I would be surprised if that type of content could pass editorial scrutiny from a serious fact based organization. It's pretty easy to fall into this mode, when the writer sees their primary responsibility as mainly offering Harmon PR rather than putting in the work and providing science based content.

It's rare to find quality comparative reviews of high end speakers from any of the mainstream audio review sources.

It's not particularly difficult for a company representative to proclaim the new product superior to the discontinued product.
I think Olive's statement has more credibility.

- Rich

Terry Stahly

The consensus is pretty clear that most people don't think the 328Be are worth the extra money if you have subs. That isn't going to stop people from buying them anyway, and "expensive" is subjective, for some people these aren't a major purchase.
I debated same and ordered the 328be's to go with my Martin Logan Balanced Force 212's because for two channel sound the 228be just did not provide the ultimate large sound or sound levels I was looking for. I have not got them yet but everything I have read and heard says they definitely sound larger and louder. For home theatre with my 426be not worth it as it already sounds as good as you are going to get for movies.

amper42

Major Contributor
The depth and power of the Revel F328Be is wonderful. Every time I sit down with them it's a great experience. I find myself listening in stereo more than I ever have in the past. Usually, I had all 7.2.4 channels running. But there's something about running the F328Be's in stereo with the Purifi amp. It's got amazing depth.

I'm listening to Yosi Horikawa's album Wandering now on the "Bubbles" track and balls are bouncing all around the room. It just started playing "Wandering" and the drums are amazingly powerful. I only have the Denon 4700 volume set at 54 and the room is full of sound and it's coming from everywhere but I only have the two F328Be speakers running. :D

Love Denon 4700 preamp mode with the Purifi and F328BE in stereo. It's a whole new sound experience for me.

Last edited:

Senior NEET Engineer

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a big "if". Most audiophiles don't use subwoofers.

I don't see the relevance? My post was literally in response to a discussion about crossing them with subs. Random out of context generalities don't apply...

Descartes

Major Contributor
The depth and power of the Revel F328Be is wonderful. Every time I sit down with them it's a great experience. I find myself listening in stereo more than I ever have in the past. Usually, I had all 7.2.4 channels running. But there's something about running the F328Be's in stereo with the Purifi amp. It's got amazing depth.

I'm listening to Yosi Horikawa's album Wandering now on the "Bubbles" track and balls are bouncing all around the room. It just started playing "Wandering" and the drums are amazingly powerful. I only have the Denon 4700 volume set at 54 and the room is full of sound and it's coming from everywhere but I only have the two F328Be speakers running. :D

Love Denon 4700 preamp mode with the Purifi and F328BE in stereo. It's a whole new sound experience for me.

Which Purifi amplifier do you have?

Top Bottom