• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F328Be Speaker Review

amper42

Major Contributor
I have the Revel F328Be set up at 12' from the listening position. I'm not tilting them at all and they sound great!

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
I finally got a chance to run REW on the Revel F328Be in my listening room. I have the Denon 4700 setup in Pre-amp mode and configured in Direct mode with the Monolith 7X200 powering the F328Be for the test shown below.

REW and UMIK recorded the results below. I set the UMIK at 41" high the same as my seated ear position. Zero EQ is used in this example. I measured at 6 feet (purple) and again at 10' (brown) from the right speaker location. The results are flat down to 40Hz in my listening room and if I turn on Audyssey Dynamic EQ it raises the bass response, making it flat down to 25Hz. The BASS on the Revel 328 is hard hitting, tight and quite a bit of fun.

F328Be.png

Last edited:

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I finally got a chance to run REW on the Revel F328Be in my listening room. I have the Denon 4700 setup in Pre-amp mode and configured in Direct mode with the Monolith 7X200 powering the F328Be for the test shown below.

REW and UMIK recorded the results below. I set the UMIK at 41" high the same as my seated ear position. Zero EQ is used in this example. I measured at 6 feet (purple) and again at 10' (brown) from the right speaker location. The results are flat down to 40Hz in my listening room and if I turn on Audyssey Dynamic EQ it raises the bass response, making it flat down to 25Hz. The BASS on the Revel 328 is hard hitting, tight and quite a bit of fun.

View attachment 123418
Thanks for doing that! Is there any chance you could show those same results, but changing the graph settings so that the X-axis ranges from 20Hz to 20kHz, and the Y-axis from 50 to 100dB? That’s how Amir and others usually shows their measurements, so it helps for comparability.

Edit: Adding 1/6 or 1/12 smoothing would be great as well.

amper42

Major Contributor
Thanks for doing that! Is there any chance you could show those same results, but changing the graph settings so that the X-axis ranges from 20Hz to 20kHz, and the Y-axis from 50 to 100dB? That’s how Amir and others usually shows their measurements, so it helps for comparability.

Edit: Adding 1/6 or 1/12 smoothing would be great as well.

I can try the next time I get the UMIK and cables out. It's kind of an ordeal to get it all setup. Can you post a picture of where the preferences (20Hz to 20kHz, and the Y-axis from 50 to 100dB) go in REW. I'll print it so I have it for the next REW run. Thank you!

BYRTT

Forum Donor
I can try the next time I get the UMIK and cables out. It's kind of an ordeal to get it all setup. Can you post a picture of where the preferences (20Hz to 20kHz, and the Y-axis from 50 to 100dB) go in REW. I'll print it so I have it for the next REW run. Thank you!

Thanks share graphs here :) there's no need to re measure system again, simply open up same session files in REW and in upper right corner you have a "Limits" icon to push to set graph axis limits..

Traced your nice graphs and overlaid them to Amir's anechoic analyze as seen in below animation :)..
amper42_in_room_x1x1_1000mS.gif

GDK

Forum Donor
Yes, sorry, it wasn’t my intention to have you remeasure everything. As @BYRTT said, as long as you saved the measurements in REW, you can just load them back in and reformat them by adjusting the scale on the axis through the Limits button on the top right, and the smoothing is adjusted through the Preferences icon (the gear), a little further to the right.

However, I think that the comparison that BYRTT created shows that your measurements were remarkably close to Amir’s, although you seem to have got the better bass extension that people expected from these.

amper42

Major Contributor
Below is the REW image for the Revel F328Be in two versions with the 20Hz to 20kHz, and the Y-axis from 50 to 100dB settings. The first version is just 3 feet and 6 feet away from the 328. The 2nd version includes 10 feet as well. My room starts to impact the frequency response more at a distance of 10 feet. The room is 24' Deep x 28' Wide x 8.8' High.

3 and 6 feet REW measurements

328 3-6.png

3, 6 and 10 feet REW Measurements

328.png

Last edited:

Coach_Kaarlo

Yes the single AHB2 sits on top of the cabinet in the middle, I have pushed this thing pretty hard basically to the limits of my tolerable listing levels and have yet to see any clipping lights. Last nites entertainment was the DVD 4k version of one of my favorites: "The greatest showman" which was cranked up, followed by a "Talking Heads" concert on Prime, the AHB2 barely getting warm. As you can see no subs so the 328/AHB2 are doing all the work.

Thank you for all the info Rich. I certainly had in the back of my mind when I purchased the AHB2 that it may not have enough power and I was fully prepared to return the unit if I found myself encroaching the clipping zone. I was not going the bridged route and would have switched to a Purify amp had I needed more power. But as hard as I dare drive this thing it has not got hot or indicated any distress. Needless to say I'm also super pleased with the sound quality, just not sure it could get much better unless one was prepared to spend a lot more (which I was not).

I have a friend that bridges his AHB2s to drive his Salon2s and another that bi-amps.
So, they are find bridged.

The clip/distortion and protection are also class leading. I don't know of any amplifier that has these combinations of features.
These amps have been out for almost 6 years now, and I have yet to hear of a single failure.

- Rich

There is a familiar response (dare I say standard response) being proposed here.

If an amplifier does not clip the sound quality is not affected because it must be operating linearly.

I have a simple experiment, link below.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...no-v-stereo-what-is-audible.21864/post-726184

If you cannot hear any difference then take the above statement as fact (for you and your situation only [your hearing, your room setup, your speakers etc]). However, with ABX, some members on here have heard the difference between running 1 AHB2 in stereo versus running 2 AHB2's in bridged mono. The recording quality is not great but the difference is audible to some. And the amplifiers never clipped.

Low sample size, so by all means take the test a few times and share your results. Foobar can level match the files so you don't have to......

Valentin R

Below is the REW image for the Revel F328Be in two versions with the 20Hz to 20kHz, and the Y-axis from 50 to 100dB settings. The first version is just 3 feet and 6 feet away from the 328. The 2nd version includes 10 feet as well. My room starts to impact the frequency response more at a distance of 10 feet.

View attachment 123466

View attachment 123467

Nice
Look at very hi frequency >8k it just stays continuous. No fall
That’s a big difference with F228be better waveguide and lence optimization

amper42

Major Contributor
Yes, sorry, it wasn’t my intention to have you remeasure everything. As @BYRTT said, as long as you saved the measurements in REW, you can just load them back in and reformat them by adjusting the scale on the axis through the Limits button on the top right, and the smoothing is adjusted through the Preferences icon (the gear), a little further to the right.

However, I think that the comparison that BYRTT created shows that your measurements were remarkably close to Amir’s, although you seem to have got the better bass extension that people expected from these.

The bass is strong in the Revel F328. I don't think you can get a complete picture of the bass response in the Revel F328Be with the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). Put them in a room and measure with REW and you get a whole new picture. I am amazed at how much bass they offer. It's a different kind of bass than my BMR monitors produce flat down to 37Hz. The bass of the Revel F328Be is a rich, full bodied bass that can kick harder than you can stand. :D

I was playing "Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man" today and when I came upstairs my wife said I know that song, but I don't think I have ever heard the bass drums and percussion so prominent. lol

Last edited:

GDK

Forum Donor
Below is the REW image for the Revel F328Be in two versions with the 20Hz to 20kHz, and the Y-axis from 50 to 100dB settings. The first version is just 3 feet and 6 feet away from the 328. The 2nd version includes 10 feet as well. My room starts to impact the frequency response more at a distance of 10 feet.

View attachment 123466

View attachment 123467
That’s awesome. Thank you so much for doing that. Ok, one very last question from me: approximately how large is your listening room?

Thanks again!

amper42

Major Contributor
That’s awesome. Thank you so much for doing that. Ok, one very last question from me: approximately how large is your listening room?

Thanks again!

The room is 24' Deep x 28' Wide x 8.8' High.

Reactions: GDK

amper42

Major Contributor
Adjustment to the Revel F328Be NFS measurement by Amir can be found here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...orrection-for-klippel-nfs-measurements.22493/

These measurements align with the extended bass I am experiencing with the Revel F328Be. With strong bass response down to 29Hz I have less need for my two VTF-3 MK5 HP Subs.

The mid bass punch of the Revel F328Be is stronger and tighter than any other speaker I have auditioned. When I first heard it, it made me take a double take, raise my head and go "WOW". The scale of hi-def, articulate mid bass punch offered by the 51" F328Be is extraordinary and the speaker handles the load effortlessly. :D

Revel F328Be Spinorama improvements.png

Revel F328Be On-axis response improvement Klippel NFS.png

Last edited:

Valentin R

Adjustment to the Revel F328Be NFS measurement by Amir can be found here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...orrection-for-klippel-nfs-measurements.22493/

These measurements align with the extended bass I am experiencing with the Revel F328Be. With strong bass response down to 29Hz I have less need for my two VTF-3 MK5 HP Subs.

The mid bass punch of the Revel F328Be is stronger and tighter than any other speaker I have auditioned. When I first heard it, it made me take a double take, raise my head and go "WOW". The scale of hi-def, articulate mid bass punch offered by the 51" F328Be is extraordinary and the speaker handles the load effortlessly. :D

View attachment 124339

View attachment 124340
It’s a very important difference with about 2dB up to. 300hz
And about 5dB @ 30hz

Descartes

Major Contributor
So what crossover frequency should one use with these speakers for Home Theater?
Does it make sense to cross them over at 80Hz?

Valentin R

In my opinion 80hz makes sense for HT duty
Specially if several subs in multiple locations are used to generate a uniform sound field

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what crossover frequency should one use with these speakers for Home Theater?

My advice generally is to measure and see what works best. Better extension gives you more options, but usually the room will contribute more to determining the best crossover frequency. In my room, 100Hz is what I've found to work best.

amper42

Major Contributor

I run the Revel F328Be in Direct mode for stereo. This runs the speakers full range.
In Home Theatre mode I have the Revel F328Be set as Full range and the other nine speakers set with an 80Hz crossover. I'm running with Dynamic EQ and Volume turned off and MultEQ XT32: L/R Bypass. It sounds pretty good. But who knows I may try some other setups too. Love the mid and low bass of the Revel F328Be.

When Audyssey is 1st run it will suggest Full Range for the F328Be but you can easily change it with the App.

11.png

The Revel F328Be sounds so good in stereo with the Denon 4700 that I usually leave the other amps turned off and just use the speakers in Direct mode with a Purifi amp. I'm also trying it with MultEQ XT32 set to reference and Dynamic EQ ON and that sound pretty cool too.

Last edited:

Bear123

80 Hz is a good place to start whether for music or movies i.e. all listening. 2 speakers can't do what a pair of properly positioned subs can do. No sense having fantastic, high fidelity speakers to end up with a low fidelity frequency response.

Top Bottom