• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F328Be or KEF Reference 3 Speakers.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for reaching out. Have you heard the F328Be speakers and are they that much better than the F228Be?

Have you seen this video? Apparently the 328 is not just a bigger speaker. It has an improved tweeter and improved waveguide that's "light years ahead of what's in the Salon2".

It might be worth it to wait a bit to see what's gonna happen with KEF's meta technology and hear Amir's impressions of the speaker. From the looks of the Olive score preview, the F328be actually measures worse than the F208 :( That doesn't mean it will sound worse, though, as the Salon2 seems to measure worse than both, yet it's still their double blind champion and flagship. Speaking of the Salon2 and F208, Amir will probably soon be one of the few people to ever hear the Salon2, F328be, and F208 all in the same room. His opinion should thus be very valuable.

vavan

Amir will probably soon be one of the few people to ever hear the Salon2, F328be, and F208 all in the same room
I wish I had done my listening tests so I could make my own judgement with F208 but I don't have time as I have to pack and drive them to the owner in a few minutes. But based on measurements, I think they come very close to my Revel Salon 2. If so, they should sound wonderful

OP
D

Digi

Have you seen this video? Apparently the 328 is not just a bigger speaker. It has an improved tweeter and improved waveguide that's "light years ahead of what's in the Salon2".

It might be worth it to wait a bit to see what's gonna happen with KEF's meta technology and hear Amir's impressions of the speaker. From the looks of the Olive score preview, the F328be actually measures worse than the F208 :( That doesn't mean it will sound worse, though, as the Salon2 seems to measure worse than both, yet it's still their double blind champion and flagship. Speaking of the Salon2 and F208, Amir will probably soon be one of the few people to ever hear the Salon2, F328be, and F208 all in the same room. His opinion should thus be very valuable.

Point well taken. Thanks.

lovemusic

As I mentioned in another thread, I listened to the whole revel range in the same room (spread over a few days) and ended up linking the 328be the most, closely followed by the Salon2. The 226 and 228 was notch below, followed by studio2 and the 208s. But the whole range is incredible!

I don't focus on measurements, will leave it to the pros voice their take. I'm just a regular guy who likes to enjoy music from the comfort of his living room.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I mentioned in another thread, I listened to the whole revel range in the same room (spread over a few days) and ended up linking the 328be the most, closely followed by the Salon2. The 226 and 228 was notch below, followed by studio2 and the 208s. But the whole range is incredible!

I don't focus on measurements, will leave it to voice their take. I'm just a regular guy who likes to enjoy music from the comfort of his living room.
Which did you like better, the 226 or the 228? And how far below these is the 208. 208s are selling on the used market for around $2k which seems like a fantastic bargain.

lovemusic

The base on the 226 is lighter, but I would save the $3k and get a sub-woofer for a much better base response. The 208s are good, but the BE tweeter is worth the jump IMHO.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Which did you like better, the 226 or the 228? And how far below these is the 208. 208s are selling on the used market for around $2k which seems like a fantastic bargain.
Not to derail the thread, but I would be very interested in a pair of f208s used for $2k. :p I've been watching online and don't believe I've seen a pair listed that low. There's a pair about 4 hours away from me advertised at $3500 (which is still no bad deal, really).

Back on topic, I have been impressed with the measurements I've seen from both Kef and Revel, and super eager to see what Amir found on the f328s. I guess there aren't any neighbor kids who could carry them up the stairs...though I suppose explaining any accidents would be pretty awkward.

Terry Stahly

I have a pair of Martin Logan Balanced Force 212 subs and B&W 801 Nautilus with Krell 750/channel in a home theater set up. Adding a Lumin T5 for some serious two channel. Would I be better off with Revel 328Be or the 228Be since I have the two big subs? I would think the 228's would be plenty.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of Martin Logan Balanced Force 212 subs and B&W 801 Nautilus with Krell 750/channel in a home theater set up. Adding a Lumin T5 for some serious two channel. Would I be better off with Revel 328Be or the 228Be since I have the two big subs? I would think the 228's would be plenty.

Yes: You're fine with the smaller one if they are identical besides bass drivers and response.

No: It's not going to be as good if the waveguide is smaller on the smaller one, and they don't control directivity as low.

EX: Some people think "The Ones" are better than the 8260, and that it's just bass extension... This isn't correct, as it has more controlled dispersion than any of The Ones besides the new B models which should be able to match it for even, smooth dispersion.

OP
D

Digi

The base on the 226 is lighter, but I would save the $3k and get a sub-woofer for a much better base response. The 208s are good, but the BE tweeter is worth the jump IMHO.
Hello, Did you think that the F228Be was much better than the F226Be in the bass output?

lovemusic

Not that much of a difference! The f226be bass response is quite impressive given its size. Given that both could do with a sub-woofer, I would recommend saving $3k for subs.

Lsc

According to Revel the F328Be has a better tweeter and waveguide along with better bass drivers so if you are looking for performance level with the Salons the F328Be would be a better bet. I have the F228Be and they are excellent speakers but they are not Salon good, imho.

Top Bottom