• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F228Be Review (Speaker)

MrDogg

Maybe 1 day! those are some good looking speakers but at 5k a piece I want them in cocobolo!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe 1 day! those are some good looking speakers but at 5k a piece I want them in cocobolo!
You can have mine so cheap you could have a woodshop rap them with cocobolo veneer if you want. :)

eyes-on-you

Here is my 228BE measurements from listeing position. 1/12 smoothing.

What is the reason of 8KHZ dip?

Also, you will find complete REW data link:

https://we.tl/t-XuIN9y6qne

228.jpg

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is my 228BE measurements from listeing position. 1/12 smoothing.

What is the reason of 8KHZ dip?

Also, you will find complete REW data link:

https://we.tl/t-XuIN9y6qne
Did you measure both at once? If so, it's likely interference between the two speakers. Unless you're perfectly centered with the mic, you'll get interference in the tweeter-area. Measure one and one separately to assess high frequencies.

eyes-on-you

Did you measure both at once? If so, it's likely interference between the two speakers. Unless you're perfectly centered with the mic, you'll get interference in the tweeter-area. Measure one and one separately to assess high frequencies.

yes, measurements taken while both speakers playing.

eyes-on-you

Did you use moving mic or is this a single position

Screenshot from one position, sweetspot.

In the REW data, you will find 6 different measurements. Top is sweetspot.

Others, Umik is positioned parallel to the listening positions.

eyes-on-you

Just guessing, maybe it’s rear wall or side wall reflection

My room is asymetric. Big diffuser located on the front wall. Broadband absorbers located near the diffuser and behind the each speaker.

Left of speaker is open area, no sidewall, right is big window, glass.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Screenshot from one position, sweetspot.

In the REW data, you will find 6 different measurements. Top is sweetspot.

Others, Umik is positioned parallel to the listening positions.
I would try moving mic to get the average response around your listening position. A single measurement is prone to cancellation effects which are not heard because we have two ears and also are never exactly still. You can also average the 6 responses, though moving mic will give you a better idea in one measurement cycle.

Vhond

Also to remind people from the F328 thread, Amir measured his in room response and they had loads of bass and also could get by without subs assuming you are able to EQ out the room modes. The F328 was criticized the same way as the F228.

View attachment 132448

Then also just before that post someone mentioned a comment from Kevin Voecks regarding measuring deep bass in an anechoic chamber and how it is very hard to get right, especially with multiple woofers and the port contribution. It's a good read and shows that maybe we should have a different approach when measuring bass.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/equipment/revel_ultima_salon2.htm
So 226BE would be better choice?
What about the differences between 226BE and 228BE (is this only bass extension)??

fraa

I've recently got a store display pair of F228Be. It was possibly the last pair available in Japan. Apparently they have altogether ceased selling Revel in Japan. Earlier I couldn't find any F206 or F208 and had given up, when I found this pair. It was over budget so I resisted for about a month, but finally gave in.

A question: I have a class A/B integrated amp capable of 240W a channel at 4ohm (120W@8ohm). Is it powerful enough to drive the speakers? Unfortunately I can't find any measurement of the amp. I don't listen to music too loudly but they say some headroom is important...

Last edited:

eyes-on-you

I've recently got a store display pair of F228Be. It was possibly the last pair available in Japan. Apparently they have altogether ceased selling Revel in Japan. Earlier I couldn't find any F206 or F208 and had gave up, when I found this pair. It was over budget so I resisted for about a month, but finally gave in.

A question: I have a class A/B integrated amp capable of 240W a channel at 4ohm (120W@8ohm). Is it powerful enough to drive the speakers? Unfortunately I can't find any measurement of the amp. I don't listen to music too loudly but they say some headroom is important...
I use F228 with the 100W benchmark AHB2.

I did not notice any clipping at loud listening levels.

Amp plays cool by the way.

fraa

I use F228 with the 100W benchmark AHB2.

I did not notice any clipping at loud listening levels.

Amp plays cool by the way.
That's nice to hear.
The reason I asked was that I had read somewhere that with these speakers a single AHB2 was not satisfactory, but I couldn't find the post.
Searching more thoroughly, now I have found it:
I have been fascinated by comparisons between the Revel 228 Be and the open baffle designs (especially the Spatial Audio X5). Having just bought the F208's new, I was nearly convinced that the performance of Revel speakers were like 'drinking warm cocoa'. I assume this analogy aimed to suggest that they are not dynamic and even boring. That was the phrase used to compare them to the X5's and it did spring to mind when I brought them home and began playing them on a single Benchmark AHB2 amplifier.

That was before a friend suggested I run them on mono blocks. Well, I bought a second and now run them on two Benchmark AHB2 power amps in bridged mono. The difference is huge. Better attack, bass extension, imaging, sound stage, detail and tonality. The speakers definitely like power and boy do they reward that gift. I suspect this will be the same regarding the F208's successors, the 228 Be's.
You don't have the same problem?

eyes-on-you

That's nice to hear.
The reason I asked was that I had read somewhere that with these speakers a single AHB2 was not satisfactory, but I couldn't find the post.
Searching more thoroughly, now I have found it:

You don't have the same problem?
I have never use monoblocks but maybe he use different dac. I am using with the benchmark dac2 hgc. This dac has a high output.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A question: I have a class A/B integrated amp capable of 240W a channel at 4ohm (120W@8ohm). Is it powerful enough to drive the speakers?
I used the Purifi amp with that kind of power and it had no trouble driving them.

radix

Major Contributor
I have 2x AHB2 as monoblocks driving the F228be in a large room. I find the max volume I'd want to drive them at from my SHD is about -18 dB maybe -12 dB (by the SHD display), listening at about 7m (the room is actually about 10m long). Normally, I'm listening to it around -23 to -30 dB. I should measure that SPL at the listening position, sorry I don't have that number.

As the monoblocks are about +6 dB over a single amp, I'd say a single amp would be sufficient. I do at times listen to wide dynamic range material, so I wanted the extra overhead.

The AHB2 also have a sensitivity switch on the back that needs to be set correctly for the pre-amp (or dac, etc.) that's driving it.

This is a new rig for me, so I'm still getting accustomed to it. I am very happy with the setup.

Marc

fraa

Thanks everyone.
So it seems my amp (Denon PMA-SX11) is powerful enough.
Actually I was thinking of getting one of those purifi amps and was wondering if the current 1ET400A is enough or I should wait till the newer, more powerful one comes out.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks everyone.
So it seems my amp (Denon PMA-SX11) is powerful enough.
Actually I was thinking of getting one of those purifi amps and was wondering if the current 1ET400A is enough or I should wait till the newer, more powerful one comes out.
Don't know about the 228Be's but the Purifi Eval 1 amp drives my F208's to painfully loud but clean volume.

Top Bottom