• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F228Be, is it that far behind?

OP
V

veeceem

Found on internet, clearly stated it's made in USA
received_1479238252243447.png

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody compared the 208 to the 228be? I’m curious what the extra $5k gets you. The only time I have heard beryllium tweeters, they’ve been in fatiguing speakers.

wannarock2

Joined Team F228Be
Hours into listening and I’m really happy.
They nailed crossover land, very smooth.
Waveguide is good, but do to low seating tipped these boys forward.
Well recorded 24bit music is justly rewarded.
Look Honey, new furniture!
me > ☀‿☀

Last edited:
OP
V

veeceem

Joined Team F228Be
Hours into listening and I’m really happy.
They nailed crossover land inc. solid components.
Waveguide is good, but do to low seating tipped these boys forward.
Well recorded 24bit music is justly rewarded.
Look Honey, new furniture!
me > ☀‿☀

NAS > Allo Katana Ess9038 (slow roll-off) DAC > Pioneer Elite C-91 Pre-Amp
NAD M22-V2 Masters Series Amplifier > Revel F228Be speakers

Room: 15’w, 20’l, 14’h
I picked Salon2s in the end, also drive them with NAD M22-v2! This amp is so effortless with anything I pair it with :)

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Dumb question- the width and depth measurements are 13.5 X 14.8 inches. Is that the base or the tower? I have found other loudspeakers don't include the base in these values.

Fjc20

this is my second day with my f228be and honestly I’m not all that impressed. They sound harsh. While listen to the normal songs I listen to I tend to cringe now. No feels or emotions with these speakers I’m feeling. Idk if they need break in. Anyone else have this experience with them?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
this is my second day with my f228be and honestly I’m not all that impressed. They sound harsh. While listen to the normal songs I listen to I tend to cringe now. No feels or emotions with these speakers I’m feeling. Idk if they need break in. Anyone else have this experience with them?
Not me.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What speakers are you accustomed to? Revel speakers are designed to have an accurate, neutral sound and are not going offer any sort of euphonic sound. Also, the Revel Be series are very dynamic, perhaps more so than your prior speakers. Maybe what you perceive as harshness is simply greater dynamics. Just throwing out some possible explanations for your impressions.

As to break-in, many here will say there's no such thing, but it does seem to me that some of the parts, such as surrounds, may change a bit over some period of time. I would give it some more time before passing a final judgement on them.

OP
V

veeceem

I had used other brands before Revel (now I have Revel M16s in bedroom and Salon2s in listening room)
I have to admit that listening to Revel speakers which tend to be neutral/accurate (as @MarcT mentioned above), at 1st, you will think that it doesnt seem impressive at all, but give it a month or two, once you learn how neutral these speakers are, you'll start to consider how inaccurate/colored the other speakers are :D

Fjc20

What speakers are you accustomed to? Revel speakers are designed to have an accurate, neutral sound and are not going offer any sort of euphonic sound. Also, the Revel Be series are very dynamic, perhaps more so than your prior speakers. Maybe what you perceive as harshness is simply greater dynamics. Just throwing out some possible explanations for your impressions.

As to break-in, many here will say there's no such thing, but it does seem to me that some of the parts, such as surrounds, may change a bit over some period of time. I would give it some more time before passing a final judgement on them.
So far I had a lot of DIYSG speakers. I was more into HT. now I’m getting into 2 channel. Before this I had klipsch rp600m and then hdi1600. The klipsch were fun to listen to I could sit back and enjoy the music. The hdi were more focused more detail but not so much air. So I figured let’s do revel cause I have revel outdoor speakers and simply love them!!!! I figured I get something that sound like that but better. More refine. Now I’m here listening and I’m like blahhh. They don’t do much for me. I find them dry and don’t convey emotion. It’s just sound coming out of them. I don’t sit there with a huge smile on my face. I constantly changing songs cause I’m like oh god that hurts my ears. Classical sounds the best out of them so far. Jazz and blues not so much. I’m waiting for my streamer to come in to hope the dac in there might help but I don’t think it will do anything. I do think more and more if these speakers are paired with tube stuff they might just sound perfect. But like I said i must of listen to them for about 8-10 hrs total since I have them and maybe it’s not so much for break in. But more about my ears and brain get use to the new sound.
I had used other brands before Revel (now I have Revel M16s in bedroom and Salon2s in listening room)
I have to admit that listening to Revel speakers which tend to be neutral/accurate (as @MarcT mentioned above), at 1st, you will think that it doesnt seem impressive at all, but give it a month or two, once you learn how neutral these speakers are, you'll start to consider how inaccurate/colored the other speakers are :D
hoping your right. I will definitely hang on to them for a bit to give them a real chance.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So far I had a lot of DIYSG speakers. I was more into HT. now I’m getting into 2 channel. Before this I had klipsch rp600m and then hdi1600. The klipsch were fun to listen to I could sit back and enjoy the music. The hdi were more focused more detail but not so much air. So I figured let’s do revel cause I have revel outdoor speakers and simply love them!!!! I figured I get something that sound like that but better. More refine. Now I’m here listening and I’m like blahhh. They don’t do much for me. I find them dry and don’t convey emotion. It’s just sound coming out of them. I don’t sit there with a huge smile on my face. I constantly changing songs cause I’m like oh god that hurts my ears. Classical sounds the best out of them so far. Jazz and blues not so much. I’m waiting for my streamer to come in to hope the dac in there might help but I don’t think it will do anything. I do think more and more if these speakers are paired with tube stuff they might just sound perfect. But like I said i must of listen to them for about 8-10 hrs total since I have them and maybe it’s not so much for break in. But more about my ears and brain get use to the new sound.

hoping your right. I will definitely hang on to them for a bit to give them a real chance.
Sounds to me like a set of Dynaudio Contour 60 or Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III would be more up your alley.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
this is my second day with my f228be and honestly I’m not all that impressed. They sound harsh. While listen to the normal songs I listen to I tend to cringe now.
Classical sounds the best out of them so far. Jazz and blues not so much.
I'm starting to think it may be the source material that both of you are listening too. As others here have hinted at, neither the Revels nor the JBL HDI's are going to gloss over harsh sounding recordings.. I have HDI 3600's and with music that leans to the bright side these speakers may reveal the flaws in recordings you didn't notice before. On the other hand, with great recordings you'll get a smoothness and inner detail you haven't noticed before also.
No the speakers aren't going to break-in, but you may break into listening to highly detailed reproduction.
The two sided sword of High Fidelity, Garbage In - Garbage Out.
Spend six months with them and see how you feel then. ;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Try less toe in.

Top Bottom