• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F228Be, is it that far behind?

Krunok

Major Contributor
I find that even my poor man's f208 gives great sense of spaciousness so I'm less inclined to upmix stereo since I purchased these couple of months ago

Judging by F208 DI charts it would seem it fires quite wide and yet those reflections are smooth. Up to 10kHz vaues of both DI's are smooth and lower than those of F228BE so I wouldn't be surprised if most folks would prefer it in a blind listening.

F208 Spinorama.jpg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I know it is declared power rating that is to be pulled from the AC line and it is supposed to match the power rating of the amp's power supply transformer. When I see power rating of 600W and claim that amp can deliver 1000W + losses to cover used power which will be converted to heat instead to be sent to speakers I am quite sceptical about those claims. Anyway, befire buying this amp I would be very much interested to know the power capacity of this amp's power supply and max current capacities of it's output stage elements.

You'd have to look at something like UL standards, e.g. https://standardscatalog.ul.com/standards/en/standard_813 I do not have a current copy (and no idea where my old copy is). Bear in mind that when requesting max values you should also ask them to specify the duration (time) for which max power can be delivered.

Krunok

Major Contributor
You'd have to look at something like UL standards, e.g. https://standardscatalog.ul.com/standards/en/standard_813 I do not have a current copy (and no idea where my old copy is). Bear in mind that when requesting max values you should also ask them to specify the duration (time) for which max power can be delivered.

I just checked for my amp - my Rotel RMB-1075 (built to THX Ultra specs, review and measurements here) has 1.5kVA transformer but a power consumption rating of 800W although it can deliver 5*200W at 4Ohm. According to THX Ultra spec amp is able to deliver that power continuously so I have no idea why power consumption is declared at 800W. Maybe they counted on a fact that rear channels were never draw that much power in real life scenario.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I just checked for my amp - my Rotel RMB-1075 (built to THX Ultra specs, review and measurements here) has 1.5kVA transformer but a power consumption rating of 800W although it can deliver 5*200W at 4Ohm. According to THX Ultra spec amp is able to deliver that power continuously so I have no idea why power consumption is declared at 800W. Maybe they counted on a fact that rear channels were never draw that much power in real life scenario.

Yes as @restorer-john would say the rear-panel power draw spec has been "watered down" similarly to the FTC output specs to account for not all channels being driven to max simultaneously. There is an actual spec but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is -- far from my day job and just not something I normally give more than a glance. In Days of Yore it came closer to making sense when you compared output to wall power; these days, not so much, so I tend to ignore it. A quick glance showed a factor of 1/8 peak all-channel power being used by one manufacturer but I've no idea if that is the standard.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yes as @restorer-john would say the rear-panel power draw spec has been "watered down" similarly to the FTC output specs to account for not all channels being driven to max simultaneously. There is an actual spec but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is -- far from my day job and just not something I normally give more than a glance. In Days of Yore it came closer to making sense when you compared output to wall power; these days, not so much, so I tend to ignore it. A quick glance showed a factor of 1/8 peak all-channel power being used by one manufacturer but I've no idea if that is the standard.

I agree, that figure seemed to become pretty meaningless. Anyway, as I said, befoer purchasing particular amp I woud always recommend folks to check if real power capability of power supply and max current spec of output stage elements are inline with power declared for that amp.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The rated power consumption on gear correlated pretty well with typical 60% or so efficiency amplifiers in the 1970s and could be used as a rough guide, but for sure, it all went out the window in the 80s and 90s. I don't think it was a deliberate thing, but mainly to do with the various standards around the world for power consumption ratings.

Some ratings were apparently typical use scenarios, others were worst case maximum and some were given ratings where the switched outlet capacity was included in the devices consumption. To give you an idea, this amplifier (200+200W@8/350+350@4) actually pulls over 1kW when doing a full power IMD test into low impedances...

1578951503041.png

I guess I'm a bit old school. A watt is a watt unless it's a VA... ;)

OP
V

veeceem

My Revel Salon2s arrived yesterday. Not properly setup yet, but NAD M22 v2 on Low Gain can play them super loud and clean in my 25m2 room. And can be as loud that the whole 150m2 3 stories can hear, so do the neighbors. Thats it for now. Going to test mid/high gain tmr
Pass labs xa25 cant do that, seem heavy/strain somehow.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My Revel Salon2s arrived yesterday. Not properly setup yet, but NAD M22 v2 on Low Gain can play them super loud and clean in my 25m2 room. And can be as loud that the whole 150m2 3 stories can hear, so do the neighbors. Thats it for now. Going to test mid/high gain tmr
Pass labs xa25 cant do that, seem heavy/strain somehow.
Out of curiosity, what are the production dates of these Salon2s (on the outside of the shipping carton)? Did you buy them new?

OP
V

veeceem

Out of curiosity, what are the production dates of these Salon2s (on the outside of the shipping carton)? Did you buy them new?
Put the box up high, so I cant check. But from my bro's words. It is of 2017. And yes, bought them new from authorized dealer.
Edit: 2017 was when the dealer received the shipment of speakers from Revel. If I ever get up there again, I'll take a look on the box.
Is there something wrong with certain patch of produced s2 that why you ask? :/

Last edited:

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think the earlier ones were made in california whereas they started manufacture in mexico starting in 2017. That's just my own input, I don't think Kal was referring to that.

OP
V

veeceem

I think the earlier ones were made in california whereas they started manufacture in mexico starting in 2017. That's just my own input, I don't think Kal was referring to that.
Tried to climb up there but the boxes are too big, cant turn them to check. Maybe it's easier to check with Revel by using the serial numbers

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
It will say on the back of the speaker where it was manufactured.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
It was most likely made in Mexico in that case. My JBL 4367 say Made in Mexico on the back, but maybe that's more to do with JBL Synthesis being a little more transparent then Revel with things. Though again that is speculation and I'm not so sure because the new L100's do not say made in Mexico on the back either.

Not that any of this really matters since at the end of the day the measurements are the same, the parts are made with the same tolerances. I'm not sure if having cheaper labour in another country effects any of that.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
OP
V

veeceem

My biggest question now is how to close the door at the back of Salon2. Not possible with banana, if use spades then the spade plug of the bridges will come lose, same with straight wire thru holes. Only solution I can think of is use a set of bi-wire spades at speaker ends...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
My biggest question now is how to close the door at the back of Salon2. Not possible with banana, if use spades then the spade plug of the bridges will come lose, same with straight wire thru holes. Only solution I can think of is use a set of bi-wire spades at speaker ends...

Leave it open, or do like many of us and just (carefully) take it off.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Is there something wrong with certain patch of produced s2 that why you ask? :/
I suspect that Harman is not making Ultima2s and that they are offering from current stock.
Mexico? Mine were made in Indonesia in 2017, iirc.

OP
V

veeceem

I suspect that Harman is not making Ultima2s and that they are offering from current stock.
Mexico? Mine were made in Indonesia in 2017, iirc.
I guess Indo, found a pic of Salon2 which has different coding of serial number than mine. Also, it has "Made in US" line instead of "designed and engineered..."

Top Bottom