• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F226Be vs KEF Reference 1

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right. There is no such thing as a perfect level match because they all produce different SPL at different frequencies. You could reduce the Revels so they sound just as loud but you'd end up with less bass.

So the KEF are just a really laid back sound.

Thing is, I don't think the Revels are actually louder(at least according to my spl meter), so is it fair to reduce them?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright, I held the mic in front of my face and took the first 20-seconds of the song that plays around the 10' mark. Each trace is an average of that 20 second time period for each speaker. A moving mic probably wouldn't be appropriate as this is variable music and not pink noise.

test.png

This would support the higher level of clarity and female vocals from the Genelecs and Revels and the warmer sound of the KEFs.

Note this is at a desk, so that influences the results. Just look at the differences between them and not the absolute values.

Last edited:

goldenears

Is there a way to do it without even using a mic? Like somehow piping the audio directly from the video into REW?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the KEF are just a really laid back sound.
That was my feeling when listening to the Blades. My local dealer has these and several other expensive speakers on demo, I haven't been there for ages, obviously, but I used to drop in often before lockdown because it is near the hospital where I donate platelets and we have been friends for decades.
On direct comparison I definitely have preferred the Magicos and Wilsons, which are stupidly more expensive here than the US.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright, I held the mic in front of my face and took the first 20-seconds of the song that plays around the 10' mark. Each trace is an average that 20 second time period for each speaker. A moving mic probably wouldn't be appropriate as this is variable music and not pink noise.

View attachment 123511

This would support the higher level of clarity and female vocals from the Genelecs and Revels and the warmer sound of the KEFs.
Wow a huge difference between 300 and 700 Hz where so much of the music lies, no wonder they sound different!

Lsc

My hearing must be going because they all sound the same on my airpod pros :).

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

Kachda

Forum Donor

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is these are in room recordings. So the dispersion of the speaker and type of room will have a large influence on the sound. The revels and genelecs sound brighter probably because of side wal reflections being stronger than the kef
Look at the predicted in-room – it is accounted for there. There is much more energy above 2 Khz in the R3 than the Revels. That is why I conclude that the KEF tested in the above video is much more tame sounding.

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
Seems to me like the LS50 is their big seller, so if I were them, I'd address the weakness of bass response with a more expensive but still compact speaker. Do a hybrid of LS50 and R3, better cabinet than R3, meta driver from ls50 and bass driver from R3. Personally I'd shape it more like a mini blade with two woofers on the side to differentiate it.
Lol.
Dude saw the future in 2020.
LS60 meta.

stren

Forum Donor
Looks more like KEF LSX/Blade hybrid to me. The price is outrageous, though. I might pay $4-5k for those. For the price they're asking I could get Buchardt A700's.

Outrageous is strong. Depends what you compare it to. Blades are a ton more and they don't have amps or any smarts ;) LS50WII and 4x KC62 would be more too.

A700 aren't much cheaper and don't have the point source capability that these do. They are bigger and more capable for bigger rooms I imagine, and can be put in a cardioid mode. Depends what you want.

Top Bottom