• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F226Be vs KEF Reference 1 Meta

Uniqued

Is there any winner between the two? for hometheater and music.
They are on my list of optional upgrade from the OG ls50 that I own for a few years.
I have b&w DB1D as a subwoofer.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is there any winner between the two? for hometheater and music.
They are on my list of optional upgrade from the OG ls50 that I own for a few years.
I have b&w DB1D as a subwoofer.
I don't think you would be disappointed with either. If I were to look at the two brands, I'd look at the F228be instead of the 226, prices are close. In your price range there are more then enough great speakers avialable. There are measurements for the Revels here and the KEF at Erin's.

OP
U

Uniqued

I would say KEF Reference 1 Meta is better but both are great. Why these two in particular? There are many similar/better performing speakers that are also cheaper within that price point as @Everett T pointed out and even much cheaper. Start with https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/scores.html and be sure to read the help section.
Hmm why those two -
I always loved kef and wanted to try the reference.
My dealer recommended to checkout 226be.
What speaker do you suggest?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the 226's and have owned R11/5/3/2c. There's just so many factors that go into properly answering such a Q. I explain the difference to my friends as "wide" (JBL/Revel) vs "deep" (Kef/Genelec). It's a lot more complicated than that, so it's always helpful to know what your budget is, what your room is like, how far you'll be sitting, and how important is the appearance of the speaker.

jonfitch

I think a dome tweeter with a waveguide + separate midrange has a lot more dynamic headroom than a concentric design so I would lean towards that for home theater. KEF for me with its more narrow dispersion and less diffuse soundstage makes for a better small listening room 2 channel setup. I love KEF's designs for nearfield listening. Revel speakers just sound way too diffuse when you are sitting closer in and in a smaller space.

archerious

OP which speakers did you end up buying?

archerious

ATM none.
Saving up, then i'll go demo.
I know the feeling.

Tried to go demo some Kanta and Olympica Nova this weekend but I didn't make in time for either of the two Hifi stores. Post-covid most Hifi stores in Houston still seem to close early.

Top Bottom