• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F226be and C426be review on Audioholics

boselover61

No indication if the units are made in the concentration or forced labor camps that the PRC has setup for a million or so ethnic Uyghurs in Xinjiang. It would be nice to have a disclaimer from Harman. You evidently do not care, but 21st Century forced labor camps are unacceptable.
This doesnt make sense. Which country makes your computer, tablet and smartphones? You evidently do not care if you make this kind of statement. Chinese people work in factory too just like us. Take this racist stuff elsewhere.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
It would work well. I have three center channels for my fronts in my theater.
What do you mean having three center channels for the fronts? You use three center speakers at the same time? Or you have three different setups with the same center speaker repeating because it is that good?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean having three center channels for the fronts? You use three center speakers at the same time? Or you have three different setups with the same center speaker repeating because it is that good?

Haha, I took it to mean he uses centre channel speakers as his mains. But the alternatives you mention would be much more amusing :)

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Thanks. I thought that the horizontal orientation of center speakers is always bad but necessary becuse it is easier to integrate in HT. I am aware this C426be is exceptional speaker and does not suffer those issues.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I thought that the horizontal orientation of center speakers is always bad but necessary becuse it is easier to integrate in HT. I am aware this C426be is exceptional speaker and does not suffer those issues.

Fair point. There are usual serious issues when the centre channel is a two-way MTM, in which case you'll get major cancellation at the crossover point horizontally off-axis.

This is not generally a problem with 3-way centre channel speakers, although it is true that most don't measure anywhere near as well as this one :)

vavan

Made in China
surprised to see some inscriptions in russian there. my f208s are made in Indonesia but IIRC do not carry messages in russian, need to check

Last edited:

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
surprised to see some inscriptions in russian there. my f208s are made in Indonesia but IIRC do not carry messages in russian, need to check
Why? It's made in certain region for a certain market.

vavan

It's made in certain region for a certain market
so do you think that that c426be from the picture above was made in china for russian market specifically but my f208s made in indonesia weren't intended to end up here?

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
so do you think that that c426be from the picture above was made in china for russian market specifically but my f208s made in indonesia weren't intended to end up here?
Probably. I don't know Revel's strategy, but i suspect they use some factories for nearby regions. Russia is a big and important market in Europe and Asia. It makes sense to have cyrillic inscription if you intend to sell to that market.
Also, I don't think it matters much. Unless you think that there are differencies between units made in different plants? I don't believe so. I think Revel has good quality control.

vavan

Unless you think that there are differencies between units made in different plants?
I think I might have heard something about that

OP
E

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Its an outstanding speaker, let alone a center channel.

Size and legs can be problematic, I had to place it over my media cabinet not inside it. As a consequence, push up my TV mount. Minor headaches. But when these start playing, you are in a different world. The off-axis response is hard to believe. Sometimes I sit 70 degree off axis (while remote working) and the sound is immaculate. Extremely accurate, detailed and incredible dynamics and at $4500 these beauties are the steal of the year!
I'm jealous; I have the C208 and planned to order the C426 but they just are not available. Don't know if it's the damn virus or other issues with China. If you know of a dealer that has an inventory please LMK via PM.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No indication if the units are made in the concentration or forced labor camps that the PRC has setup for a million or so ethnic Uyghurs in Xinjiang. It would be nice to have a disclaimer from Harman. You evidently do not care, but 21st Century forced labor camps are unacceptable.
Sadly, I suspect that the prevalence of such manufacturing practices is about to increase dramatically.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. It's a good opportunity to ask Harman directly exactly where they are made.
I agree. It's a good opportunity to ask Harman directly exactly where they are made.
I agree. Though made in China, I'm sure I would not have to send it abroad to have it serviced. Having had to do that for several components this year has proven to be a nightmare. And yeah, it would make a hell of a difference to me if this were made with exploited let alone slave labor.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair point. There are usual serious issues when the centre channel is a two-way MTM, in which case you'll get major cancellation at the crossover point horizontally off-axis.

This is not generally a problem with 3-way centre channel speakers, although it is true that most don't measure anywhere near as well as this one :)

Sorry, you've confused me with this one - because of the way my house is laid out and pre-wired, I was thinking of using 2 of these for L/R 2 channel music-only setup. They will be quite a bit overhead, almost 8', but i can toe them in as much as needed as well as angle them down w pads as far as safety will allow.

Given they would be paired with dual subs, probably 10-12" sealed since it's music only, would I experience the issues you're describing? Or would I be better off w a coaxial like Kef R3 or Hsu CCB (which often shown superior vertical directivity) or simply KISS w the bookshelf rather than the center? I know, probably hard to answer without knowing more about room etc. But it's a large space - sloped ceilings 13-18' tall and 25x40' w speakers about 20' apart

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, you've confused me with this one

Sorry about that :)

What I meant was that, with a two-way centre channel, the speaker will exhibit pretty severe cancellations at positions off of the central horizontal axis. So these would be a bad idea for L/R stereo, you'd have to be directly on-axis of both speakers to get the correct response, and the lateral reflections would be pretty messed up.

However, with a 3-way centre channel, especially one as good as this Revel, there is no problem at all using two of them for your L/R speakers. However, one caveat is that you would have to keep them in their intended horizontal orientation. Is that what you'd planned to do?

Omar Cumming

Two center channels cost $2K more than two floor standers, so why bother?

Cheers

Top Bottom