• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I totally agree with you about the sound...no matter what I did, I couldnt fall in love with them - But i do think they are gorgeous to look at!

I just got my special 40's hooked up last night and I'm in love with my system again and more than ever - I'm wondering why i ever even tried to cheat on dynaudio...
I don’t know, I’m rather easy when it comes to looks. Unless it’s something weird like those JBL boxes or an electrostatic, I don’t usually mind it.

Now my ideal is the super-high-tech Wilson Benesch look. But the F208, I hated. I’m sure they’re better in black though.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the walnut (thought the Salon2 were going to get the walnut option) but just to be different have white F206 side surrounds..

Looking for 2 gloss black or gloss white side tables that can hold the side surrounds.

fraa

I am considering replacing my Tannoy Revolution XT6F with Revel f206. Would there be a big difference?
f208 is another possibility, but f206 is now about $2000 a pair where I live (Japan).

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

seedragon

Forum Donor
I am considering replacing my Tannoy Revolution XT6F with Revel f206. Would there be a big difference?
f208 is another possibility, but f206 is now about $2000 a pair where I live (Japan).
I walked into a store with the intent to walk out with F206, then compared them to F208 for an extended amount of time. The difference in the size of the sound stage and bottom-end extension - which translates into what people often call "body" - was immediately apparent. I bought F208s (along with the C208 center) and am glad I did. I posted more details about my decision-making journey earlier in this thread. Good luck.

USER

Forum Donor

I used to own the XT6Fs. I bought them before I started reading this site, when I trusted say-anything salesmen. Once I became comfortable with how to read the speaker reviews and finally knew enough about what I can expect from very high quality speakers I decided to upgrade. While looking around, I bought Revel M16s for my second system and I tried them out in my main system. I much preferred them to the XT6Fs, even with the smidge less bass that the M16s provide. So, yeah, I think you will like the Revel sound, which is noticeably more neutral than the Tannoy one. I ended up getting the F226Bes and I cannot be happier. While I have not heard the F206s, I have enough faith in Revel to expect excellent speakers, certainly better than the Tannoys. Do expect a little less bass, but also note that if you are not using DSP, the bass of the Tannoys may be bloaty for you right now given the tuning, so (the Revels) may sound better there regardless. If you look at the M16 and F226Be threads you can see some notes I posted as well as measurements comparing the three speakers, with DSP and without, with a sub and without. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Last edited:

fraa

fraa

I walked into a store with the intent to walk out with F206, then compared them to F208 for an extended amount of time. The difference in the size of the sound stage and bottom-end extension - which translates into what people often call "body" - was immediately apparent. I bought F208s (along with the C208 center) and am glad I did. I posted more details about my decision-making journey earlier in this thread. Good luck.

Well, f208s are not discounted at all, so currently there is a price difference of x2.5. I am tempted but might wait to see if any discount is forthcoming.

fraa

I used to own the XT6Fs. I bought them before I started reading this site, when I trusted say-anything salesmen. Once I became comfortable with how to read the speaker reviews and finally knew enough about what I can expect from very high quality speakers I decided to upgrade. While looking around, I bought Revel M16s for my second system and I tried them out in my main system. I much preferred them to the XT6Fs, even with the smidge less bass that the M16s provide. So, yeah, I think you will like the Revel sound, which is noticeably more neutral than the Tannoy one. I ended up getting the F226Bes and I cannot be happier. While I have not heard the F206s, I have enough faith in Revel to expect excellent speakers, certainly better than the Tannoys. Do expect a little less bass, but also note that if you are not using DSP, the bass of the Tannoys may be bloaty for you right now given the tuning, so it may sound better there regardless. If you look at the M16 and F226Be threads you can see some notes I posted as well as measurements comparing the three speakers, with DSP and without, with a sub and without. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Yes, Revel speakers are generally praised on this site. That's the reason I am attracted to them. I gather the bass weakness is the main drawback, though I am not sure what the consensus is here, amid all the technical talks I don't really understand. If even f208 is weak in bass, f206 would be even weaker I suppose.
For some reason all the "Be" models are sold out in Japan. Perhaps they didn't sell very well, as Revel is not very well-known here. And Revel doesn't seem to allow any direct international sales. I inquired a few US merchants but they all say they cannot sell internationally.

USER

Forum Donor
Yes, Revel speakers are generally praised on this site. That's the reason I am attracted to them. I gather the bass weakness is the main drawback, though I am not sure what the consensus is here, amid all the technical talks I don't really understand. If even f208 is weak in bass, f206 would be even weaker I suppose.
For some reason all the "Be" models are sold out in Japan. Perhaps they didn't sell very well, as Revel is not very well-known here. And Revel doesn't seem to allow any direct international sales. I inquired a few US merchants but they all say they cannot sell internationally.

As I mentioned, the difference in bass was not significant in quantity as much as quality. Note that your room will dramatically affect the room modes, amplifying the bass in some spots and attenuating it at others. I find the tuning in the Revels much better for real in-room use (meaning that they anticipate some issues). Please look at these in-room measurements. Of course, your room is different and results can vary.

Tannoy XT6Fs. Note the ugly, ugly bloat from 50-70Hz (and that crazy dip). The bass did not sound good without DSP. It muddied the overall sound. I blame the tuning, which exacerbates the issue. (Added: An unknowledgeable youtube reviewer may say that a speaker without this issue may have better "detail" not realizing it is not necessarily about the higher frequencies and that if you lower the bloating frequencies, the muddiness will go away. DSP does wonders for this speaker, which is capable of being clearer sounding if you take away such a peak.)

WO DSP.jpg

Here is M16 with and without DSP (there may be a small sub being used with the DSP, I don't remember; but the difference would be at <40Hz). (Added: Note that it too has a similar but not as extreme bass tuning strategy to make it sound as if it has more bass that it really does. I too think DSP is a must with the M16s, which makes them absolutely stellar speakers.)

DSP V REGULAR.jpg

Much nicer. So much smoother. The coax design in the Tannoys sucks in my opinion. Notice that the bass is not really that much "worse"! It is tuned high at around 100Hz (see the review), but it doesn't bloat as bad as the Tannoys.

Notice the many similar bumps and dips, even in comparison to the Tannoys (but remember that these measurements are over a long period of time so I didn't get the mic placement in the same spot). Those are the room modes. They will be the same with any speaker as long as there is enough bass to activate them there. Basically, the room dictates how your speakers sound below about 400Hz.

F226be vs M16.

f266be and M16.jpg

Not much "worse" than the Tannoys--the difference is mainly at 35-45Hz. But again, the room modes are better. Finally, all of these speakers (and in my opinion, ALL SPEAKERS) require a sub and DSP for optimal sound no matter what. So I personally would not get too hung up on the difference. Remember that DSP will help out the Tannoys TREMENDOUSLY, so you can make your current sound system sound better with something like the miniDSP SHD with Dirac, which is what I use.

If you have any other questions, refer to the other posts or PM me as I don't want to clog up the F208 thread with non F208-related posts.

Last edited:

USER

Forum Donor
The first graph has a 35dB-wide vertical scale and the second one a 90dB-wide one, and probably different smoothing settings.
Apples to oranges.

I was trying to refer to the problematic Tannoy coax design, which I think anyone can make out with what I presented. Above 1kHz is just as annoying to me. But if you need a better comparison to understand the difference here is a different measurement with closer scales and at the same 1/12 smoothing. You can see the high frequency breakup that Amir found in his review of the bookshelf version of this speaker, which uses the same coax component.

Note that by this point I was using some bass traps to mitigate some of the bass issues.

tannoy.jpg

BYRTT

Forum Donor
The first graph has a 35dB-wide vertical scale and the second one a 90dB-wide one, and probably different smoothing settings.
Apples to oranges.
I was trying to refer to the problematic Tannoy coax design, which I think anyone can make out with what I presented. Above 1kHz is just as annoying to me. But if you need a better comparison to understand the difference here is a different measurement with closer scales and at the same 1/12 smoothing......

Decluttered into below animations same graph scale :) (omitted the second graph because there is no need to dual M16's)...

Tuga_a_multi_600mS.gif

jaykay77

There is a lot of subjectivity that's ignored here because measurements are weighed heavily on this forum...

You should try both if you can...keep the tannoy's until you try the revels. I bought F208's due to the hype on ASR, and ended up trading them for something that doesn't measure as well, but sounds way better to my ears. Take the graphs and measurements to a certain point, but don't forget to let your ears do some of the deciding!

USER

Forum Donor
There is a lot of subjectivity that's ignored here because measurements are weighed heavily on this forum...
lol. If you read my comments carefully you'll note that I noted my experience with the speakers. The difference with this site is that I can back up my claims with data, so it means a little more than just spewing unhelpful anecdotes, noise in a sea of noise. More, the biggest difference is that with this site I learned how to do so. My Tannoys always sounded like shit because of their bloated bass, sunken midrange, and weird highs. I didn't need graphs to tell me that, but they certainly helped with understanding their issues and making them sound much better by fixing specific issues with DSP.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You should try both if you can...keep the tannoy's until you try the revels. I bought F208's due to the hype on ASR, and ended up trading them for something that doesn't measure as well, but sounds way better to my ears. Take the graphs and measurements to a certain point, but don't forget to let your ears do some of the deciding!
What did you end up buying that you preferred over the F208's?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What did you end up buying ?

Lsc

Well, f208s are not discounted at all, so currently there is a price difference of x2.5. I am tempted but might wait to see if any discount is forthcoming.
I would definitely wait as I got >20% off when I bought them right when they came out. Covid had skewed the supply curve a bit but it should return to normal.

Top Bottom