• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

tuskenraider

Ha, I have mine crossed over at 100 Hz for smoother in room frequency response. It was hard to do, but the measurements don't lie. The 2 15" Rhythmic subs definitely add a little extra, but I have no problem throwing the AVR in pure direct mode if I feel like it.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Last night I disabled sub and listened to 3 way with dual 8 inch woofers. I had crossed at 80hz. Everything disappeared. Truly beautiful. Midrange and tweeter sounded magical unchained from that ugly cube.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Why did you disagree, you have subs and use them even if not all the time. ???
The assertion was [paraphrasing] people who don't think they need subs have never heard a system with well-placed, well-integrated subs.

I disagree, because:

1. I have heard many systems with well-integrated subs, including my current system, and;
2. Most of the music I enjoy has very little, if any, content below 40Hz, and my F206 have an in-room F3 of 32Hz, which is low enough to cover almost everything I need. In addition to my AVR with subs, I have a pathway that is laptop w/ Dirac -> Schiit Modius -> Peachtree Nova300 -> F206. Even though I have a very good sub integration with the AVR, and I have Audyssey and Dirac set up with very similar target curves, both limited to under 1KHz, I generally enjoy the sub-less pathway more. I cannot explain why, other than to say it sounds more "natural" to me. I have never tried to quantify that thought further, and;
3. With 300WPC at 8 Ohms and 500WPC at 4 Ohms available, and Dirac correcting the bass frequencies, there is plenty of visceral impact without subs in my small room, and I cannot hear any distortion, and;
4. Sweeping generalizations rooted in assumptions are pointless.

Movies are a different story, of course.

Pathways available in my media room:

Media Room Audio Paths.png

Sub integration results with 80Hz crossover:

MMM Media Room Left F206 SB2000 Bass Frequencies 180.png

MMM Media Room Right F206 SB2000 Bass Frequencies 180.png

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The assertion was [paraphrasing] people who don't think they need subs have never heard a system with well-placed, well-integrated subs.

I disagree, because:

1. I have heard many systems with well-integrated subs, including my current system, and;
2. Most of the music I enjoy has very little, if any, content below 40Hz, and my F206 have an in-room F3 of 32Hz, which is low enough to cover almost everything I need. In addition to my AVR with subs, I have a pathway that is laptop w/ Dirac -> Schiit Modius -> Peachtree Nova300 -> F206. Even though I have a very good sub integration with the AVR, and I have Audyssey and Dirac set up with very similar target curves, both limited to under 1KHz, I generally enjoy the sub-less pathway more. I cannot explain why, other than to say it sounds more "natural" to me. I have never tried to quantify that thought further, and;
3. With 300WPC at 8 Ohms and 500WPC at 4 Ohms available, and Dirac correcting the bass frequencies, there is plenty of visceral impact without subs in my small room, and I cannot hear any distortion, and;
4. Sweeping generalizations rooted in assumptions are pointless.

Movies are a different story, of course.

Pathways available in that room:
View attachment 272677

Sub integration results with 80Hz crossover:

View attachment 272678

View attachment 272679
I can't do the nice diagrams but have a very similar set-up and it works for 2 ch w/o subs but w/ movies/tv I use the entire system w/ subs.

Lsc

If you you need help with your Salon, at least use a Revel sub. Although unrevealed or unmeasured, I'll bet distortion is very low. Room shaking bass is distortion.
Revel does a lot very well but their subs would be a downgrade. Thank you for your advice though.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Revel does a lot very well but their subs would be a downgrade. Thank you for your advice though.
A downgrade compared to what I don't know.
But IMHO, unless your hell bent on matching the incredibly beautiful finish on your other Revel speakers,
there are a lot of subs available that can equal them for a lot less money.
TOTL Revel's Ultima Rhythm2 subwoofer was ($10,000), the B112v2 are $4k US, that same money can buy you a lot of subwoofer(s) from SVS, HSU, a whole bunch of others dedicated to building the best sub possible for $X dollars.
YMMV

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But IMHO, unless your hell bent on matching the incredibly beautiful finish on your other Revel speakers,
TOTL Revel's Ultima Rhythm2 subwoofer was ($10,000), the B112v2 are $4k US, that same money can buy you a lot of subwoofer(s) from SVS, HSU, a whole bunch of others dedicated to building the best sub possible for $X dollars.
YMMV

Here are the custom Rythmik E22 (dual 12") subwoofers with cabinets from Salk sound. I had them made for less than 1/2 the price of the Revel Rythm2 subwoofer. They product tactile bass. I suspect that 4 12 inch drivers might be competitive to the Rythm2. Jim Salk does amazing work. Two subs are also a big improvement over my old Velodyne HGS15, in output and reduced localization.

E22WithSalon2.jpg
PredictedResponseWith1MsDelayAppliedToLeftSub.jpg

- Rich

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here are the custom Rythmik E22 (dual 12") subwoofers with cabinets from Salk sound.
Very handsome, beautiful woodwork, also the graph shows some incredible downward extension..
Interesting way he seems to have bookmarked the veneer on the side with different graining shades?
In my fairly small room I'm completely happy with my 2 SVS SB2000's.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very handsome, beautiful woodwork, also the graph shows some incredible downward extension..
Interesting way he seems to have bookmarked the veneer on the side with different graining shades?
In my fairly small room I'm completely happy with my 2 SVS SB2000's.
Those are beautiful indeed.

Lsc

YMMV
I was referring to vs. getting another JL Audio F113. Looks like there is a F212 that I may pickup instead. And it’s exactly as you said in that the Revel subs currently offered are not the best values. You can get better subs for less money.

The JL subs are also not good values especially at the current jacked up MSRP but used it’s not as bad. I’m pretty stuck on JL Fathoms subs for music. The bass quality is equal to the salons which is what I’m looking for. I have a SVS PB16 as LFE for movies (the bass in this sub is a little boomy for the salons when listening to music).

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was referring to vs. getting another JL Audio F113. Looks like there is a F212 that I may pickup instead. And it’s exactly as you said in that the Revel subs currently offered are not the best values. You can get better subs for less money.

The JL subs are also not good values especially at the current jacked up MSRP but used it’s not as bad. I’m pretty stuck on JL Fathoms subs for music. The bass quality is equal to the salons which is what I’m looking for. I have a SVS PB16 as LFE for movies (the bass in this sub is a little boomy for the salons when listening to music).
You may want to also look at Ryhtmik subs, they are nice looking in gloss black.

- Rich

Lsc

You may want to also look at Ryhtmik subs, they are nice looking in gloss black.

- Rich
I’ve heard great things about them but I have a deal in place already. I was going to get the Gotham G213 but the deal fell through plus 360lbs might be more than I can handle with my kids unwilling to help me anymore lol. The F212 is also no lightweight at 220lbs. Anyway, long term is to get 2 of them and then the CR-1 to fix all the integration issues…or maybe the CR-1 before the 2nd F212. That’s the plan at least.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have a SVS PB16 as LFE for movies (the bass in this sub is a little boomy for the salons when listening to music).
Ya buy your ticket and take your ride. ;)
I find the trade-offs in ported vs sealed to be just what you said.
All things being equal
A ported sub will go a bit deeper & louder but they can can be a taste boomy, specially around the port tuning
and size wise tend to be larger.
A sealed sub may be flatter - tighter, roll off sooner on the bottom, and overall are smaller sized. Less efficient requiring
more power to go loud.

A couple guys like HSU offer port plugs, etc that can offer a bit of both (supposedly). I've never played with one but
imagine they will offer a compromise on both's pro's and con's. IME with speakers, nothing perfect and they are
all a combination of strengths/weaknesses.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I was going to get the Gotham G213 but the deal fell through plus 360lbs might be more than I can handle with my kids unwilling to help me anymore lol.
Threaten to not feed them anymore, and they'll help you standing on their heads. LOL

Lsc

Threaten to not feed them anymore, and they'll help you standing on their heads. LOL
Lol! Then they go to the mom who is the bread winner and favors them over me as I’m barely hanging on. So that means no subwoofer or audio gear for me. :)

I’m

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Then they go to the mom who is the bread winner and favors them over me as I’m barely hanging on. So that means no subwoofer or audio gear for me.
Your in very serious trouble my friend,
I really feel for you. :facepalm:

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
YMMV
I cannot find any measurements on Revel subs. I'll bet exhibit very low distortion.

Lsc

Your in very serious trouble my friend,
I really feel for you. :facepalm:
My wife bought me the salon2 with her bonus so she takes care of me too :).
Ya buy your ticket and take your ride. ;)
I find the trade-offs in ported vs sealed to be just what you said.
All things being equal
A ported sub will go a bit deeper & louder but they can can be a taste boomy, specially around the port tuning
and size wise tend to be larger.
A sealed sub may be flatter - tighter, roll off sooner on the bottom, and overall are smaller sized. Less efficient requiring
more power to go loud.

A couple guys like HSU offer port plugs, etc that can offer a bit of both (supposedly). I've never played with one but
imagine they will offer a compromise on both's pro's and con's. IME with speakers, nothing perfect and they are
all a combination of strengths/weaknesses.
Exactly! I actually have all 3 ports plugged in the PB16. I’ve tried different combinations but I like it the best with the ports plugged. Im more 2 channel, quality is more important for music type vs I need a room full of 18” subs for movies type. I watch movies but when you mostly stream, it’s hard to get that amazing quality from back in the day via 4K or regular blu-ray.

I know I’m talking about the salons but the same applies to the F208 (this thread). The F208 have very good bass so it’s hard to get a sub that integrates well without degrading the overall sound quality.

Top Bottom