• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 at half-price or something else ?

eyesofra

Hey guys,
I've been reading through various threads on Revel with keen interest. I have an oppurtunity to purchase a demo pair of F208s at essentially -48% off retail ( appx 5k AUD).
The store is a bit of a drive away so I'm not able to audition them. My current fronts are the brilliant KEF R500, predecessor to the current R5. The room is not large 4.3mx4x2.7m.
Is this a no brainer and should I place a deposit straight away :) or should I listen to other newer speakers around similar price point ?

What are your thoughts ?

Much appreciate your response.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Is this a no brainer
G'Day mate. Well if you're in the market for new speakers, these perform very well;
That 's a cracking price @ $5K AUD for a pair, basically new... a no brainer to me. Hell if you don't buy them... I might. ;)

JSmith

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you want them you better be quick.
Not sure wht else would match them at that price. Thats if they are in your budget and fit in with what you want. Wont be hard to drive either

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
should I listen to other newer speakers around similar price point
Most probably comparable price you'll get only second hand.

2x8" vs 2x5,25" might change something in stereo mode.
I'd give them a try at least. Even if you buy and don't like them in real life, resale losses will be low.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I think you should take a flier and discover a very good example of what Revel has to offer in its larger scale. I have both KEF (R3, Q100) and Revel (F206, M106, C25) speakers and love what both do so well. They are both very accurate in frequency response, but have very different dispersion characteristics, which makes them behave quite differently in-room. In my home office, Revels light up the side walls too much, which makes the narrower dispersion of the KEFs preferable. In my more suitably treated media room, the Revels cast a very wide soundstage, which sounds glorious. In the other dimension, I find Revel speakers to sound taller than KEFs, but that too is room-dependent.

OP
E

eyesofra

thanks for the response guys. I suppose hearing them is going to be the first call to action. As Jim said I need to figure out what improvement it's going to give me otherwise it's a waste of effort (and money). Much appreciate all your feedback.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Top Bottom