• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel f206 versus kef r7

Novak

Hi all
I am hunting for new speakers. The Revel F206 and the Kef R7 holded my attention.
I would be glad if any of you have experience with one of these or both, to help me understand the differences between these 2, objectively and subjectively.
Cheers.
N

Last edited:
OP
Novak

Novak

20200502_134631.jpg

OP
Novak

Novak

If I may, which one do you think is better if the rear wall is close?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I'd take the R7, as all things being equal between these, coaxial midrange is a very nice plus. The R3 was also shown to measure very well, here. Personally, I also think they look very good.
The Revel, because the port is in front.
I don't see the link, unless you really want to stick them to the wall.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree the KEFs look better, though I'm not a huge fan of any of the revels aesthetics. Something about that elliptical waveguide and gumdrop shape that makes them look a bit gaudy to me...

In terms of sound, it's unlikely anyone here can give you a good answer as to which one is truly better. The usual directivity comments apply. The KEFs will have narrower horizontal directivity while the revels will have wider. This is a matter of preference. The theoretical differences are usually a sharper, more focused, more upfront soundstage with narrower directivity vs a slightly more diffuse but more expansive Soundstage on wider directivity speakers. But which is better will depend on your preference, recording, positioning, and your room too.

The KEFs rear port doesn't matter(I had the R3s next to a wall) unless it's literally just like two inches away from the wall. Irrelevant imo anyway, as they come with two-step port bungs, which you might want to use if you have them up against the wall for more linear bass and maybe even some extra sub-bass.

OP
Novak

Novak

Based on specs, kef should go a bit deeper on the bass? Is it significant?
I could not find measurement of the f206. If any one knows.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd take the R7, as all things being equal between these, coaxial midrange is a very nice plus. The R3 was also shown to measure very well, here. Personally, I also think they look very good.

I don't see the link, unless you really want to stick them to the wall.

Gee wiz. I thought the Revels would work better because he wants to put them close to the front wall and front ported speakers work better in that application. Some like coaxial drivers, some do not. The KEF's probably are better looking, but that's a matter of taste too. I have LS50's by the way.

OP
Novak

Novak

Also in Europe, R7 are cheaper (800euros less)... Which is also of an interest to me ;)

Speakers will be between 10 inches to 20inches from the from front wall.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Gee wiz. I thought the Revels would work better because he wants to put them close to the front wall and front ported speakers work better in that application.
Depends on how close, really. Genelec says 5 cm minimum, for example.
monitorplacement_wall-distance.jpg

monitorplacement_wall-distance2.jpg

Some like coaxial drivers, some do not.
Never seen someone disliking well-made coaxials because they're coaxial.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also in Europe, R7 are cheaper (800euros less)... Which is also of an interest to me ;)
Then how about R5s plus a pair of good subwoofers?

Thinking objectively, I'd lean to the KEFs, because they have smoother directivity. This implies that they're better suited to wide-range EQ, even if the Revels might be slightly flatter out of the box (but on which axis?). And I'd consider local service & support.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@q3cpma the graphic is well and good for Genelec's because they are designed that way. Those speakers also have boundary eq built in. KEF recommends a minimum of 9" from the front wall. For Revel I could not find a minimum, but they recommend plugging the ports if the speaker is less than 61 CM from a wall other large object. Of course, if you high pass your mains a lot less energy is coming out of the ports.

It probably boils down to do you want a speaker from an English company which is made in China and has Scandinavian modern design or a speaker from an American subsidiary of a South Korean company where Toole and Olive used to work, is built in Indonesia, and has styling which is somewhat baroque. Is that simple enough?

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
R7 because tweeter crossover frequency is higher.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The human voice sits around 300 to 3500Hz.
You don't want the group delay and phase issues of a crossover in that important range.
Not to mention the different properties of 2 different drivers.
So the higher the tweeter crossover freq the better.

Sorry I thought it was funny.^

OP
Novak

Novak

The human voice sits around 300 to 3500Hz.
You don't want the group delay and phase issues of a crossover in that important range.
Not to mention the different properties of 2 different drivers.
So the higher the tweeter crossover freq the better.

Sorry I thought it was funny.^
Thanks
Yes this was:D

Top Bottom