• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F206 v. F208 v. Dynaudio - Thoughts?

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at speakers for my living room. I currently use Magnepan 3.5s crossed over over to a Rythmik F15HP, which I love, but am trying to find something a bit smaller (getting older and tired of hearing how big my speakers are from my significant other). I purchased a pair of Salk Sound 3s and the short is they and my room don't mix. You can read about that here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...room-issues-cross-posted-at-avs-forums.10540/

Since then, I have played with the Salks a bit more, including using them with a lot of extra absorption in the room (had an extra sofa and loveseat when furniture was being moved around). The bottom line is that the Salks just don't have the warm bit of extra midbass that I like and the midrange is not working for me.

A few years ago when having my Maggies rebuilt, I purchased a pair of Revel F36s which I used to fill in while they were gone. I found them to sound good in the room. The only thing they were lacking was what I would call transparency, they sounded a bit veiled compared to the Maggies, not sure if was just a bit more distortion, or something else. In the end I kept the Maggies and sold the F36s.

I am now circling back to Revel and considering the F206 v. F208. I think these may get me the extra transparency I want, with a similar sonic signature to the F36. Where I get concerned with the F206 is in what I would call midbass slam and spl capability. While I don't listen at extremely loud levels, they do get turned up once in a while where get peaks close to 100db. They will be high passed at 80hz, so I am unsure if there will be any practical difference with the F206 and F208. My room is large by volume, (approximately 6000 cubic feet (170 cubic meters for the rest of the world) and open to other rooms.

I am also eyeballing some dynaudios. I use X12s on my desktop system with a Rythmik L12 and love them. They are a bit fat sounding but transparent (I have equalized in Room to deal with bass modes so am +-4 db below 200hz). I am eyeballing the discontinued Excite X44, Evoke 50, and Contour 30. I know that is a bit of a variance in price range, but all the speakers I am looking at would be used, unless I could find a good deal new (I keep seeing people say that Revel can be purchased discounted, but cannot figure out where).

My concern with the Dynaudios is the use of low order crossovers and the associated lobing and narrow vertical listening range. This isn't an issue on my desktop as the listening position is basically locked in. In the living room, I prefer more flexibility, as sometimes we do things like dance and party. With the Maggies, they are tall enough, their sound doesn't change from sitting to standing. Years ago I used a pair of Vandersteen Signature 3As in the room and loved them, but they were extremely sensitive to listening position (like a couple of inches of movement while listening affected the sound) and that did them in for me in the end.

Thoughts, suggestions, experience, and even some criticism are appreciated.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have F206's, though not in use right now, and have heard F208's. And lived with Maggies (MG-I's, then MG-IIIa's) for many, many years until retiring them for Salon2's a couple of years ago. I was afraid I'd really miss the Maggies but the Revels have been great. The little taller models work better for me, and of course the extra bass helps, so I'd learn toward the F208's for mains. They play a little deeper, helpful even with a sub, and will be cleaner at louder volume.

I have not heard Dynaudio, or not so it matters, so can't really comment. However, coming from MG-3.5's, I would not want a speaker with limited vertical dispersion (more so than normal).

FWIWFM - Don

p.s. I also use Rythmik subs, small world... Tell Brian and Enrico hi!

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you find the F206 v. the Salon2? I would pick up a used pair of Studio 2s and be done with it, but think it could resort in a divorce (looks like the best used I could do is about $6500). I do believe in Richard Vandersteen's belief that to really properly integrate a subwoofer and mains, the mains should be linear to one octave below the crossover frequency, so 40hz here. The F206 has a -3 db of 52 hz, which is pushing it, whereas the 208 -3db point is 32hz.

I love Rythmiks. I used velodynes for decades, first an F1000, then stereo ULD-12s, then HGS-10 and HGS-12s. I felt the ULD were the best sounding of the bunch. The Rythmik F series are notably cleaner sounding to me and the L series slightly better than the ULDs.

jonfitch

Dynaudios IMO sound a bit more mellow than Revel. They use large tweeters which typically start beaming at a lower frequency to better mate with with a large woofer, so they won't have as much sparkle up top and sound more mid-focused. The lobing definitely exists with low order crossovers which makes listening outside of the sweetspot less enjoyable. Also I assume you are looking at the Contour series--the current lineup doesn't look that inspiring to me decor wise, but your mileage may vary.

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking at the Contour 30, which is pushing the maximum I want to spend.

I went and found the spinorama charts on the F206 and F208 and looking at them, despite it seeming on the face that the only differences between the two is the size of the woofers, the specs show a slightly different crossover-between the midrange and tweeter. The F208 is much smoother in that range and doesn't have the peaks in the midrange that the F206 does. Like most people, I am sensitive in the range, and my room has excess energy in the 1-3khz range, which will not be helpful. The full power curve of the F208 also makes them look a bit more laid back overall. I can see them sounding a fair amount difference even with a subwoofer.

If I am missing something, please chime in. Hopefully my Song 3s will sell soon (have a local buyer looking at them next week) and a used pair of F208s will come up.

Spin - Revel Performa3 F206 raw.png
Spin - Revel Performa3 F208 raw.png

Webninja

Forum Donor
I am contemplating the same 206 vs 208, so thanks OP. Although I am tempted to see if I can save a bit and get used Studio2s. I wonder if having dual (or quad) subs, plus the 206 would be enough. I am not ready to buy, so it’s fun daydreaming.

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am contemplating the same 206 vs 208, so thanks OP. Although I am tempted to see if I can save a bit and get used Studio2s. I wonder if having dual (or quad) subs, plus the 206 would be enough. I am not ready to buy, so it’s fun daydreaming.

If you haven’t seen it, there was a good thread on AVS forums (another sane place on the web) discussing some differences between the 206 and 208 with subs.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-s...eone-help-me-read-measurement-chart-f206.html

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
I purchased the F208's last week. I went from Goldenear Triton 5's (which were similar in size to the F206's). I worried a little that the F208's would be too large for the room, but that worry was alleviated within about a day. Unless you're in a very small room, I don't think the size will be an issue. They really excel at higher volumes--in fact, I would say that's the first attribute about them that stood out dramatically compared to the other speakers. The dealer here in Nashville also has the Studio's in stock. When they heard that the Studio's were going to be discontinued, they stocked up. I'm going to pm you about the dealer.

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, decision made. A member put me in contact with his drug audio dealer. He was able to offer me such a good price on the F208s that I purchased a new warrantied pair for nearly a used price. 30+ years of playing with audio and I have finally bought my first pair of speakers new as opposed to used or demo. For anyone considering F208s or even F228be, there are deals right now that will make your jaw drop. I nearly bought the F228be, but couldn't justify the money, even though they are an unbelievable deal.

vavan

For anyone considering F208s or even F228be, there are deals right now that will make your jaw drop
could you please make us jealous and disclose those deals?

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Public posting of pricing is generally frowned upon. I am happy to pm about it.

YSDR

My concern with the Dynaudios is the use of low order crossovers and the associated lobing and narrow vertical listening range.

Dynaudio doesn't really use low (1st) order crossovers nowadays, even if they states they use. For example, their Special 40 uses first order crossover on paper but in reality the acoustical slopes more like a 4th order, although the linked test doesn't show the individual slopes but the step response is speaking for itself, the up-down spikes paints a textbook 4th order, 2-way crossover.
I think the lowest order they use is 2nd order but more often 4th.
918DS40fig09.jpg

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dynaudio-special-forty-loudspeaker-measurements

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My concern with the Dynaudios is the use of low order crossovers and the associated lobing and narrow vertical listening range.

I use Dynaudio Contour 20s in my living room, have had them for 2-3 years now. I use them with 2 x Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X subs.

Dynaudio doesn't use 1st order crossovers on most of their newer speakers. The Special 40 is a retro throw-back design.

As for vertical lobing, at my listening distance of 17', it's really not an issue.

The floor standing models in the new Confidence line have some fancy pants waveguide in the baffle. I've yet to hear them. They're the probable upgrade path for me.

YSDR

Even if the Special 40 is a retro design, it utilizes an acoustically 4th order crossover.
So what is retro about it? Hehe, nothing, except marketing.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Even if the Special 40 is a retro design, it utilizes an acoustically 4th order crossover.
So what is retro about it? Hehe, nothing, except marketing.

Au contraire.

The voicecoil of the woofer.

It's the only current production Dynaudio speaker that still uses old school "inside magnet" style voicecoil.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I've heard selected models from Dynaudio from different ranges and the balance does seem different from one to another, but broadly consistent in each 'range' in fairness. Would be interesting to see what people here think of the floor standing Confidence models as I've now had two sessions of the 60's with different driving systems but the same room setup. Not sure the pro models are 'visible' to domestic clients.

DeJaVu1127

I purchased the F208's last week. I went from Goldenear Triton 5's (which were similar in size to the F206's). I worried a little that the F208's would be too large for the room, but that worry was alleviated within about a day. Unless you're in a very small room, I don't think the size will be an issue. They really excel at higher volumes--in fact, I would say that's the first attribute about them that stood out dramatically compared to the other speakers. The dealer here in Nashville also has the Studio's in stock. When they heard that the Studio's were going to be discontinued, they stocked up. I'm going to pm you about the dealer.

HTNut1975, I have been lurking on the forum for a while now and decided to finally join the site. I bought a set of Revel F36s back in January from Crutchfield, but am thinking about upgrading to F208s with a C208 for my front sound stage. How big of an upgrade do you think going from the F36s to the F208s would be? I'm currently powering the F36s with a Denon AVR X6500H. You stated you got your speakers from a dealer in Nashville, this is not that far for me living in Huntsville. Would it be possible to have you PM me some details about the dealer and how much you paid for your F208s if you don't mind? Thank you.

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am going from memory, as I had the F36s and now have the F208s. The F208s have a bit more resolution, are a bit warmer, and have deeper bass. They are cut from the same cloth, the F208s just have more of everything. I would suggest that you will want an external amp to power them from your AVR X6500H, as it does not appear to like 4 ohm loads and the F208s dip below 4 ohms in the bass range.

Last edited:

DeJaVu1127

I am going from memory, as I had the F36s and now have the F208s. The F208s have a bit more resolution, are a bit warmer, and have deeper base. They are cut from the same cloth, the F208s just have more of everything. I would suggest that you will want an external amp to power them from your AVR X6500H, as it does not appear to like 4 ohm loads and the F208s dip below 4 ohms in the bass range.
CDMC. Thank you for the quick and helpful reply. What you said about the differences are the exact things I'm wanting compared to the F36s for both movies but especially music playback. I do at times find the F36s to be slightly bright on certain music tracks. I figured I would need an external amp to drive them. Have been looking at the Emotiva XPA and Monoprice Monolith lines.

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom