• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F206 v. F208 v. Dynaudio - Thoughts?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Wow! That is amazing and speedy customer service! And what an improvement!

typericey

Subscribing as well. I finally got rid of my Bowers & Wilkins 705 S2's, the last relic of my pre-ASR days. They deceived me with faux detail and extension when in reality it just had a hot treble. They did sound clean with seemingly low distortion. Anyway, I digress...

Looking at the F206 or the M106 as a replacement. But it's not as simple in my case, as the availability of Revel in my country, new or used, is severely limited. It will be for bedroom use, so the size of the F208 is a disadvantage in my case. Which is unfortunate as it is the one that's already measured by Amir, plus I had the chance to audition the F208 briefly and I loved what I heard. The midrange and the scale was what struck me the most.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like that Class D offers great sound quality, a small form factor, reasonable prices, and as you stated, lower power consumption. I am sold on them.
And the ability to drive 4 ohm loads with ease.

sfdoddsy

I'm curious about the spin differences between the F208 and F206 above 200Hz in the Revel charts earlier.

They have the same 5.25" mid drivers, the same tweeters, the same crossover points and (one would assume) the same crossover topology. The only physical difference is the width of the baffle. The directivity looks identical, and the off-axis response likewise.

Yet the F206 has a much lumpier on axis response according to Harman.

The Soundstage measurements of the F206 are much notably better than Harman's.

I think the F206 (and the F208) would be better if they used a smaller mid like the Salon 2, but I'd expect them perform virtually identically to the F208 when used with a sub unless you like to play at insanely loud levels.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Subscribing as well. I finally got rid of my Bowers & Wilkins 705 S2's, the last relic of my pre-ASR days. They deceived me with faux detail and extension when in reality it just had a hot treble. They did sound clean with seemingly low distortion. Anyway, I digress...

Looking at the F206 or the M106 as a replacement. But it's not as simple in my case, as the availability of Revel in my country, new or used, is severely limited. It will be for bedroom use, so the size of the F208 is a disadvantage in my case. Which is unfortunate as it is the one that's already measured by Amir, plus I had the chance to audition the F208 briefly and I loved what I heard. The midrange and the scale was what struck me the most.
I would see if you can trial Arendal or Buchardt speakers as they use similar design approaches in their attention to measurements and directivity.

typericey

I'm curious about the spin differences between the F208 and F206 above 200Hz in the Revel charts earlier.

They have the same 5.25" mid drivers, the same tweeters, the same crossover points and (one would assume) the same crossover topology. The only physical difference is the width of the baffle. The directivity looks identical, and the off-axis response likewise.

Yet the F206 has a much lumpier on axis response according to Harman.

The Soundstage measurements of the F206 are much notably better than Harman's.

Equally as curious. In my simple mind, how hard can it be for Revel to make the on axis similar in the mid and high frequencies if essentially the same design and drivers are used? Can the width of the baffle make all the difference? I don't think Revel will intentionally cripple the F206 just because it is a cheaper model.

CyberAthlete

Top Bottom