• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F206 v. F208 v. Dynaudio - Thoughts?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Either amp will work well. I am a Class D convert.

I didn't know amp topologies were a religious issue.

Transparent is transparent.

I like Class D for the energy bill savings.

Other than that....I don't know if I can tell the difference between modern Class D and the usual AB competitors.

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't know amp topologies were a religious issue.

Transparent is transparent.

I like Class D for the energy bill savings.

Other than that....I don't know if I can tell the difference between modern Class D and the usual AB competitors.

I like that Class D offers great sound quality, a small form factor, reasonable prices, and as you stated, lower power consumption. I am sold on them.

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean by great sound quality?

To me, every Class D amp sounded like...an amp.

Yep, and the ones from the major manufacturers (Hypex, Purifi, and Icepower) measure better than most Traditional Class A/AB amps, but at a lower cost per watt.

doug2761

Forum Donor
I have a pair of Dynaudio Confidence C2 speakers. They've been my primary speaker for well over a decade. These days I'm using room correction and getting great sound driven by a McIntosh MC402 or the Hypex NC400 monoblock amps I recently built. A problem that I have with the Dynaudios is that there's a significant (like 10db) dip in frequency response around 4 kHz. I'm not sure if there is a problem with my speakers but it's there on both when measured with REW. For now I'm correcting it out. I haven't compared Revel's speakers to the Dynaudios but the measurements by Amir on the F208 look much better than my Dynaudios. I've reached out to Dynaudio about the frequency response but they haven't been responding to see if this is designed in or perhaps a fault.

YSDR

A problem that I have with the Dynaudios is that there's a significant (like 10db) dip in frequency response around 4 kHz.
It's a broad dip or a narrow bandwidth dip? Measured at the listening spot as is or with a time-gated technique? Measured at tweeter(s) axis or at the listening height?
Anyway, the dip can be a result of a comb filtering effect of the two tweeter playing the same frequency range.
Imo, it would be better if Dynaudio would used a single tweeter with an adequate waveguide instead of two simple, flat faceplate tweeter.

Last edited:

doug2761

Forum Donor
It's a broad dip. Posting a screenshot of uncorrected room response measured using an omni mic (mini DSP). I'm able to correct it out with REW but I don't think that I should have to do that. I thought that Dynaudio configured the crossover so that the two tweeters did not overlap over the entire tweeter range. I'm wondering if I've got some caps that have aged or if the speaker was designed that way. Using room correction they sound fantastic though. My room is 18'x14'x8' with a large area rug. Apologies for hijacking this thread but hopefully this Dynaudio knowledge will be relevant.

Attachments

• Confidence C2 in-room response.jpeg
    Confidence C2 in-room response.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 225

YSDR

That's a huge dip indeed. If you can correct at the listening spot, that means you boost the tweeter (and midwoofer) responses considerably and distortion may rises because of the boost.
What was your measurement height relative to the tweeters?
Here is an in-room measurement of the C2 which doesn't shows that dip you have:
Dynaudio C2

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Subscribed.

I am currently trying to decide between the F206, the Evoke 30, and the R5. I have owned Dyns and KEFs and like them both. I have not owned Revels and do not have a good opportunity to hear them where I live.

I have heard the R3, and it sounds like an improvement on the typical dry KEF monitor type sound that lays all recordings bare.

I have been through several pairs of Dyns, and their house sound is mellower and tends to make even poor recordings sound listenable.

I heard Revels briefly at a local dealer and was not impressed, but their listening rooms are terrible, and I was not impressed with anything there, so I do not claim to have actually heard Revels.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
It's a broad dip. Posting a screenshot of uncorrected room response measured using an omni mic (mini DSP). I'm able to correct it out with REW but I don't think that I should have to do that. I thought that Dynaudio configured the crossover so that the two tweeters did not overlap over the entire tweeter range. I'm wondering if I've got some caps that have aged or if the speaker was designed that way. Using room correction they sound fantastic though. My room is 18'x14'x8' with a large area rug. Apologies for hijacking this thread but hopefully this Dynaudio knowledge will be relevant.

Are your side walls treated? That almost looks like a lack of first reflections or an in-room phase cancellation issue.

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
Subscribed.

I am currently trying to decide between the F206, the Evoke 30, and the R5. I have owned Dyns and KEFs and like them both. I have not owned Revels and do not have a good opportunity to hear them where I live.

I have heard the R3, and it sounds like an improvement on the typical dry KEF monitor type sound that lays all recordings bare.

I have been through several pairs of Dyns, and their house sound is mellower and tends to make even poor recordings sound listenable.

I heard Revels briefly at a local dealer and was not impressed, but their listening rooms are terrible, and I was not impressed with anything there, so I do not claim to have actually heard Revels.

FWIW, I also listened to Revels at my dealer and wasn't all that moved, but I bought them on faith based on the general consensus of the community on both this forum and the AVS forum. I'm very thankful that I did. I had previously owned Goldenear Triton 5's, which I liked a lot. The Revel dispersion pattern is significantly wider and at first, I wasn't all that thrilled. After owning them for a couple of weeks, I'd never go back. I guess the main compliment to the Revels is that I don't have the "what if?" thoughts so much any more. I'm more delightfully surprised, on a daily basis. We had recently finished the Umbrella Academy series on Netflix, which has just an excellent soundtrack that is mixed in such a way that I was continually impressed. I would be surprised if you had regrets, but I would urge you live with them a couple of weeks before rendering judgment.

doug2761

Forum Donor
Are your side walls treated? That almost looks like a lack of first reflections or an in-room phase cancellation issue.

Thanks for the feedback. Sidewalls are not treated and you could be correct on lack of first reflection. I had not thought of that when positioning. Left side of left speaker is not near a boundary and right side of right speaker is a couple of feet from floor to ceiling window. I have a pair of stand mount speakers that are flat when positioned where the Dynaudio speakers sit so I presumed that it wasn't a room boundary.

The folks at Dynaudio are engaging with me so we'll probably figure it out. I think the pandemic disrupted everyone so my queries to them from back in May understandably fell through the cracks.

vavan

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
"I didn't know amp topologies were a religious issue."

Has a bumper sticker of a fish with the word Purifi printed under it.

Moi?

I don't own any Purifi products at this point in time.

I have nothing against them, though.

Nor do I care much if my next amp uses Purifi or something else.

doug2761

Forum Donor
Please report back
Reporting back. The Dynaudio folks asked if I could send them a picture of the back of the tweeter unit. From the pictures they are confident that the problem is from the coating between the faceplate and magnet pealing. Some of that material has likely fallen into the gap of the magnet causing reduced output. They are sending out new tweeter units under warranty. Attaching pictures here for those interested.

I want to add a bit about the level of customer service that I'm experiencing with Dynaudio. It's excellent. I've had these speakers for more than a decade and probably close to 15 years. Once I engaged with them again to refresh the thread I started in the midst of the pandemic chaos my communications over email have been answered very fast. Their response from the photos was something like, "oh yeah I see the problem...we'll send you new tweeter units under warranty". I never had to ask about warranty coverage or claims. They just took care of it. Seems relevant to share as part of the decision process on Dynaudio products that was the subject of the OP.

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 505
OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reporting back. The Dynaudio folks asked if I could send them a picture of the back of the tweeter unit. From the pictures they are confident that the problem is from the coating between the faceplate and magnet pealing. Some of that material has likely fallen into the gap of the magnet causing reduced output. They are sending out new tweeter units under warranty. Attaching pictures here for those interested.

I want to add a bit about the level of customer service that I'm experiencing with Dynaudio. It's excellent. I've had these speakers for more than a decade and probably close to 15 years. Once I engaged with them again to refresh the thread I started in the midst of the pandemic chaos my communications over email have been answered very fast. Their response from the photos was something like, "oh yeah I see the problem...we'll send you new tweeter units under warranty". I never had to ask about warranty coverage or claims. They just took care of it. Seems relevant to share as part of the decision process on Dynaudio products that was the subject of the OP.

Really great to hear they support their products so well. It is nice when a company goes above and beyond what is required.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

That's awesome, but I have no idea how they could identify that cause from those pics... ;)

But good to know if my Contour 20s have issues at some point they can be relied upon.

doug2761

Forum Donor
That's awesome, but I have no idea how they could identify that cause from those pics... ;)

But good to know if my Contour 20s have issues at some point they can be relied upon.
Yeah I was thinking in a similar way. Perhaps this is a common problem with that speaker. Regardless it's still good customer service.

doug2761

Forum Donor
Yeah I was thinking in a similar way. Perhaps this is a common problem with that speaker. Regardless it's still good customer service.
Closing out the follow up. I received the replacement tweeters yesterday and installed last night. Pretty simple soldering and bolting operation. I tried not to think of the costs to replace the speakers if I gaffed it. Listening and measuring shows that this solved the problem. Posting measurements from REW taken with omni mic and no room correction.

I still have to work on placement to move the nulls around 50 Hz to 60 Hz but everyone has some issues with room constraints. Perhaps I'll experiment with a subwoofer. When I looked at the old tweeters more closely it seems that the surround is under the metal film that peeled away so it could also have been that the tweeters were no longer sealed in their chambers. I'm getting great sound again without room correction on the tweeter frequencies. Cheers Dynaudio for your service.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 7.38.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 7.38.00 AM.png
    813.1 KB · Views: 196
Top Bottom