• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel, Elac, Wharfdale, KEF, Focal

swampbrain

Previously I'd posted a thread in the Speaker measurements and discussion forum re: the possibility of finding audiophile quality speakers in the 6-8 hundred dollar range. After more reading and reviews I've concluded that I need to up my budget somehow to get what may be my "forever" speakers.

I've narrowed down my candidates, based on reviews (mostly subjective) and max budget/cost, and think I've got it narrowed down to the following....

Revel Concerta2 F35
Elac Uni-fi 2.0 UF52
Elac Debut Reference DFR52
Wharfdale Diamond 11.5
KEF Q750
Focal Chora 816

I'd appreciate any impressions, opinions, experience etc etc with these models. Subjective opinion is valued in addition to measured responses etc

Suggestions for other, comparable brands/models are also welcome but anything more expensive than the models above is probably a no-go.... these are all at the very top of my budget and will take some serious scrimping and saving to purchase.

Monitor Audio? MartinLogan? SVS? Bowers and Wilkins?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All of the above, LOL. Probably the F35 from that list. Plan on getting a microphone and learning how to use REW. The difference is dramatic.

Sprint

Forum Donor
Are you open for book shelf? Then you could probably add KEF R3 which has measured very well in ASR

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might look through us audio mart, audiogon, etc.. and find something better for your money or what you're considering for a little less.

OP
swampbrain

swampbrain

Are you open for book shelf? Then you could probably add KEF R3 which has measured very well in ASR
I kind of have my heart set on towers even tho my main listening space is small enough that I'm sure quality bookshelves with a sub would be more than sufficient. Having said that there's a good chance I'll be setting up a dedicated listening room that's much larger after acquiring these.

OP
swampbrain

swampbrain

You might look through us audio mart, audiogon, etc.. and find something better for your money or what you're considering for a little less.
Thx. I also heard accessories4less has deals pretty regular deals /discounts esp. on Focals

The reason I'm looking at Crutchfield is because apparently they will let you audition speakers and ship them back (for a reasonable fee). Since I won't be able to hear ANY of these before purchasing (no hifi stores that carry these within 200+ miles) it would seem prudent to use a vendor who allows this without charging a fortune just in case what seems like a winner on paper doesn't agree with my ears.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good idea , I've been trying speakers and there are some places that give a break on return shipping. Crutchfield is good about returns, at least I've had good luck with them.

Top Bottom