• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Concerta2 C25 Review (Center Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 10.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 52 28.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 90 49.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 20 11.0%

• Total voters

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Unless ONLY YOU sit dead center and watch movies, a Center speaker is EXTREMELY important for the overall experience.
You are basically just watching stereo TV, not surround sound with a 2.1 mix.

Nah, it's not important at all. There's plenty of us who threw out centre speakers years ago because they are pretty much useless, sound dreadful, and are so compromised they are really only useful as a source of spare parts for the mains (good way to pick up spare drivers cheap).

Good imaging mains running phantom (or mixed down to 2 channel) is better, way more high fidelity and it doesn't matter where you sit. Either that or do it properly- buy identical L-C-Rs and be done with it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nah, it's not important at all. There's plenty of us who threw out centre speakers years ago because they are pretty much useless, sound dreadful, and are so compromised they are really only useful as a source of spare parts for the mains (good way to pick up spare drivers cheap).

Good imaging mains running phantom (or mixed down to 2 channel) is better, way more high fidelity and it doesn't matter where you sit. Either that or do it properly- buy identical L-C-Rs and be done with it.
Why doesn’t cinemas do the same do you think?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Several hundred people sitting all over a gigantic room, not a few people in a loungeroom, sitting on a sofa staring at a flat panel 10ft away.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That brings up the question about how accurate most theaters are, in 'rendering the proper audio' within their boundaries... even if they are FDA, EPA, and/or Dolby certified? :oops:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That brings up the question about how accurate most theaters are, in 'rendering the proper audio' within their boundaries

All I know is cinemas in general are wayyy too loud in my experience.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Several hundred people sitting all over a gigantic room, not a few people in a loungeroom, sitting on a sofa staring at a flat panel 10ft away.
In a cinema more people sit off-centre than a HT. The work of a centre speaker is way more pronounced than in a HT. And, tell that phantom centre to the people sitting near to the outside aisle!

I suggest you draw a cinema and an average HT side by side and re-read what you said above.

beagleman

Major Contributor

Okay, if you say so.......

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll do the math but only if you provide me the quantities of these Revel Centers that the cinemas are interested in.:)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll do the math but only if you provide me the quantities of these Revel Centers that the cinemas are interested in.:)
What is your question to do with the make and model of the speaker when you are arguing no centre speaker should be used in a theatre?

beagleman

Major Contributor
What is your question to do with the make and model of the speaker when you are arguing no centre speaker should be used in a theatre?
I think some have a lack of understanding of the basics of cinema and home cinema, and frankly should not even be in a thread about center speakers, or anything to do with home theatre.....o_O

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The science-based deficiencies of 'phantom' center -- of two channel audio in general -- are well known, and well remedied by a proper center channel loudspeaker.

Which isn't to say that is what is sold as a "center" necessarily fits the bill.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Appears OT police are after my behind!
Mine was NOT a question, nor was I arguing about "no centre" in "theatre"...
I think some have a lack of understanding of the basics of cinema and home cinema,
Others have a lack (and/or understanding) of humor... regardless of my statement ending with a smilie.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Others have a lack (and/or understanding) of humor... regardless of my statement ending with a smilie.
I think that is because we do not expect a joke in the middle of a debate

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
.......Perhaps you should tell them.
And while you are at it, ask to speak to their speaker engineering department, and school them on proper center channel design!

At this point, if they haven't been told coaxials exist, I'm not going to be the one to tell them about the internet.

Thankfully there is no need: Genelec and Kali seem to have that down on the low end and high end.

nstzya

Seems that matching LCR inwall coaxials would solve many of these issues…

Cedrep

Hello, is woofer are the same as JBL SCL-6 ,SCL7 ? Revel and JBL have same mother factory Harmarn, What do you think ?
Could we expect same quality as low distortion ?

Haint

Top Bottom