• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Concerta2 C25 Review (Center Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 10.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 52 28.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 90 49.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 20 11.0%

• Total voters

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Crutchfield routinely labels products they stop carrying as "discontinued" even though those products have not been discontinued by the manufacturer. It tends to make people searching for that product consider similar products sold by Crutchfield rather than searching for the "discontinued" product at other vendors.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Crutchfield routinely labels products they stop carrying as "discontinued" even though those products have not been discontinued by the manufacturer. It tends to make people searching for that product consider similar products sold by Crutchfield rather than searching for the "discontinued" product at other vendors.
Poor and unethical business practice!

Sluraad

Crutchfield "discontinues" product pages for some reason (probably something to do with the price hikes, which are definitely permanent going forward). It's in stock and not actually discontinued. FWIW the Performa3 line is much older than the Concerta2, which I'd expect to be refreshed first.
The Performa line got refreshed, its called PerformaBE

Haint

The Performa line got refreshed, its called PerformaBE

LOL. The BE's $4500 Bookshelves and $10K - $16K Towers are by no stretch of the imagination the same market segment or target demographic as the Performa3's. That'd be like Toyota "refreshing" the Corolla with a Lexus LC.

Last edited:

iw655321

I have a 5.1 setup with Revel F226be L/R speakers and a B&W HTM6 center channel, the latter of which sits is in a constrained space. I've considered replacing the B&W with either the Revel C25 or C205, as only those models will fit in the space. The HTM6 works OK, but is clearly lacking in comparison to the Revel L/R speakers. I'm curious if anyone thinks this would be a significant upgrade? Or just a lateral movement?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a 5.1 setup with Revel F226be L/R speakers and a B&W HTM6 center channel, the latter of which sits is in a constrained space. I've considered replacing the B&W with either the Revel C25 or C205, as only those models will fit in the space. The HTM6 works OK, but is clearly lacking in comparison to the Revel L/R speakers. I'm curious if anyone thinks this would be a significant upgrade? Or just a lateral movement?
What about the Monoprice THX offering ?

I almost pulled the trigger to get one drop shipped/measured but haven’t yet.

iw655321

What about the Monoprice THX offering ?

I almost pulled the trigger to get one drop shipped/measured but haven’t yet.
Looks interesting! But unfortunately I’m constrained to 9” of height and 23” of width.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I have a Concerta 2 C25 it’s ok! Not the best am going to try KEF RC2

Descartes

Major Contributor
What if you put it on it’s side would it sound better? Maybe I will try it!

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
What if you put it on it’s side would it sound better? Maybe I will try it!

Of course. It will sound like this:

index.php

Of course, vertical directivity now suffers, but many TM 2-way designs are restricted to +/- 15 degrees (or even less) anyway.

There is an excellent argument to be made for using these as vertical MTMs where sealed designs are needed. Some speakers must live inside actual bookshelves, and some family members are not keen on strong bass in shared areas for casual listening. I could see a pair of these in my living room, for example.

If sub(s) are available, even better.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Several hundred people sitting all over a gigantic room, not a few people in a loungeroom, sitting on a sofa staring at a flat panel 10ft away.

Lots of truth in that.

To be a little more focussed, the 'correct' seating distance for stereo hi-hi is generally thought to be based on an equilateral triangle. As such, the angle between you and the 2 speakers will be c.60 degrees (30 degrees each side, from a line drawn between you and midway between the speakers).

In a cinema, you're going to get a lot of people sitting towards the front who have a far wider angle than that, which is the main reason you need a centre. If you placed dialogue which you wanted to come from the centre in a stereo pair, you'd feed it equally to both channels. If you were sat too close to (for example) the left side, it'd sound like it was coming from the left, rather than the centre.

For home cinema, dolby suggest 22-30 degrees, so similar to stereo hi-fi.

Bren Derlin

Is anyone else bothered by that full cup of coffee on the equipment rack? I’m having anxiety and PTSD flashbacks of a very unfortunate incident…

The purist in me also wants to slide that center to the front edge of the shelf. Ever tried it there?

Answer to first question is: no. It’s not my gear.

Answer to the second question, that’s what I do. Slide it all the way forward to avoid any weird reflections.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems that matching LCR inwall coaxials would solve many of these issues…
I have not brushed up on inwall speakers as problem solvers.
In truth, I ignore them because I have realized that a two-speaker system requires the minimum amount user intervention.
I realize that some feel stereo is not the optimum immersive-experience that could be achieved, employing multi-speaker set-ups for movies, etc.
But where and how, on earth, do you really install a "center" speaker inside a wall?
And once installed, how much leeway do you have to optimize its location later?

beaRA

But where and how, on earth, do you really install a "center" speaker inside a wall?
Preferably behind an acoustically transparent screen.

It belongs centered on the MLP with tweeter at ear height (maybe slightly above for multiple rows). What additional optimization is required?

nstzya

…..But where and how, on earth, do you really install a "center" speaker inside a wall?

My thought was to use coaxial in-walls in a LCR baffle wall type arrangement behind a AT screen perhaps. Granted, it would not allow much leeway, so it would require it to be be well planned and optimized - in the measure twice, cut once principle. ;-)

Top Bottom