• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Concerta C10 Review (center speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 68 36.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also worth noting, fit and finish is really good. Mounting hardware is well thought out as well. All in all it seems well designed for its intended use.View attachment 173132

Is that a measurement with or without EQ? I ask because I'd expect that (assuming a listening position measurement) to sound super bright.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that a measurement with or without EQ? I ask because I'd expect that (assuming a listening position measurement) to sound super bright.
That measurement is without EQ at about 3 feet from the speaker if I recall correctly (in different room) Measured where it is installed (green) you can see how it measures from around 12 feet averaged from 9 measurements. It is installed on the wall above my screen. The mount is great because it allows for a very large range of tilting down to the listening position. It is about as bad of a place to put a speaker near where the front wall/ceiling meet. I have had a few speakers there and this one actually measures the best at this location.

82573157-930F-434C-A420-3BEB97082776.png

Mauro

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. The goal of this series of reviews is to solve the problem of needing a center speaker in a setup like mine:

index.php

I have the matching center speaker for the Revel bookshelves but there is no way, no how it can fit in that cabinet. There is just room for a speaker like Revel C10 and its competitors. Among those, they have all had severe directivity errors with other response errors on top of that. The C10 is least compromised in that manner.

This is NOT a discussion of what would be the best center speaker. That type of speaker does not fit this application. When I have room, I use them like this Revel C52 which weighs some 60 pounds:

index.php

Even the midrange is too big to go under these TVs!

We built his cabinet custom at a time when a 50 inch TV was large. So I originally thought I would put a proper center under it. But then 65 inch TVs became common so that is what is in there, leaving no room for much of a center speaker.

Those Revel speakers need to be vertical but then would make the shelves too big so they are on the side as a nod to looks. Not everything is optimized for sound.

And yes, we do need to sometimes categorize things. On testing AVRs, I initially compared their DACs to desktop units. But then decided to make a category for them and grade on a curve that way. Otherwise they would all fall in the category of "not recommended."
I love these series of reviews on center speakers. You are the only one to provide quality data on center speakers. And it is fundamental to have good slim center speakers for this use case.

I was also planning to buy a center speaker like the Revel c208, but it would sit much lower than the TV and I am not sold on the ventriloquist effect when actors mouths on the screen are 1 meter/3ft above the midrange woofer.

It would be very interesting to see also a review of Revel M8 as a center and the lcr8 for a secondary room.

Keep up the good work as always @amirm !
This site is a great source of knowledge. You just need to figure out how to put together an easy way to retrieve the information as your database of reviews is so large that google and duckduckgo start dismissing some reviews.

Last edited:

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love these series of reviews on center speakers. You are the only one to provide quality data on center speakers. And it is fundamental to have good slim center speakers for this use case.

I was also planning to buy a center speaker like the Revel c208, but it would sit much lower than the TV and I am not sold on the ventriloquist effect when actors mouths on the screen are 1 meter/3ft above the midrange woofer.

It would be very interesting to see also a review of Revel M8 as a center and the lcr8 for a secondary room.

This site is a great source of knowledge. You just need to figure out how to put together an easy way to retrieve the information as your database of reviews is so large that google and duckduckgo start to dismiss some reviews.
There is a review index on this site that is pretty good, although some reviews are missing from it too.

Also erins audio corner does reviews and has quite a few center channels. He also has a klippel nfs.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor

This site is a great source of knowledge. You just need to figure out how to put together an easy way to retrieve the information as your database of reviews is so large that google and duckduckgo start dismissing some reviews.
Don't think would be problem with 208. It's that good.

MacCali

Major Contributor

You should check out the klippel score web page. I have it saved in my tabs. Very useful tool and incorporates objective data and if it’s by Erin or Amir a subjective take. Not sure how far back Amir has gone with his subjective take.

I bought my stereo speakers on that score and man they are extremely excellent. Plus saved nearly 10 grand vs the other I wanted which actually had a very similar score .2 difference.

Mauro

You should check out the klippel score web page. I have it saved in my tabs. Very useful tool and incorporates objective data and if it’s by Erin or Amir a subjective take. Not sure how far back Amir has gone with his subjective take.

I bought my stereo speakers on that score and man they are extremely excellent. Plus saved nearly 10 grand vs the other I wanted which actually had a very similar score .2 difference.
Do you mean https://www.spinorama.org/?
Yeah i like it, but it is still lacking in features. I am not expecting Rtings level of search engine and tools, but a web tool with graphs would be helpful. I saw many attempts around ASR with tables, links and bullet points but nothing continuously updated.

Top Bottom