• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Concerta C10 Review (center speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 68 36.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a proper surround setup. Sure it is outrageous but giving the C10 a "Fine" or "Great" score (42% of the voters) is more outrageous :eek:
iu
T
That is a very nice living room you have :)

arisholm

And this is exactly the reason that products like this one, the Polks, and others exist. Some people want a room with speakers not speakers with a room wrapped around them.
Sure, tradeoffs and WAF. And that room was never intended be a proper HT, I prefer to separate those things as the requirements for speaker placement, room treatment, amps, sources etc are very different in a setup with 7.4.4 vs 2.2

arisholm

That is a very nice living room you have :)
Thanks, it is a dream come true :) It is a bit messy though. Cannot seem to get rid of stuff so it is piling up... And still waiting for more subs...
PS: I assume you did not refer to that control room, that would be a bit over the top, even for me :)

Last edited:

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have no idea what that is?

JWAmerica

I don't see the point of a center channel that cannot reproduce the full range of the male voice.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see the point of a center channel that cannot reproduce the full range of the male voice.
Are you going off of the measurements that Amir has done that do not include a bass boost when installing on a wall? If it has a -3dB at 110hz, -6db at 100hz (meets spec) doesn’t that about cover it?

MacCali

Major Contributor
Is the C10 part of a C line or is C just indicating center, do they not match with the M10? I remember a while back the M10's were ridiculously cheap on sale. I just kept on questioning if this was worth it for the living room.

Just wanted something decent and not space consuming, as I have a dedicated theater/music room.

Doctors11

Is the C10 part of a C line or is C just indicating center, do they not match with the M10? I remember a while back the M10's were ridiculously cheap on sale. I just kept on questioning if this was worth it for the living room.

Just wanted something decent and not space consuming, as I have a dedicated theater/music room.
I believe the C denotes center and they were part of the same line, now discontinued. If you're looking for something similar with deeper bass, at least on paper the Monitor Audio Apex line looks pretty good. I'd love to see one of those measured here or by Erin.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Here is his interview with Erin where he walks through the research and parameters and factors he is currently using to calculate preference score. His equation is publicly available which is how the preference score posts are calculated.

I wanted to see the formulas and data used on a sample.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

GaryH

Major Contributor
Read the rest of the paragraph.
Read the article on the 'missing fundamental' linked in that paragraph. It's not always perceived, and not by all listeners, and even when it is the perceived timbre may be different.

Last edited:

SwampYankee

There’s always something to compromise when you limit the height of the centre speaker. You can’t have your cake and eat it when you place limits to the system design.

This is not a no-compromise speaker. However, in my book C10 offers the right compromise. You just have to use a higher crossover frequency for the subwoofer. I’m happy that @amirm agrees.
I appreciate this comment. Prioritizing horizontal dispersion at the expense of low frequency extension is fine when choosing tradeoffs. I am struck, however, by the comments on other center speakers. Switching priorities to better bass extension in these horizontal mtm or mmtmm centers appears offensive to many ASR members. I think it's more productive to emphasize the compromises posed by severe height constraints and compare where manufacturers put their efforts. If you need a short and wide center you will have to pick your poison.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I believe the C denotes center and they were part of the same line, now discontinued. If you're looking for something similar with deeper bass, at least on paper the Monitor Audio Apex line looks pretty good. I'd love to see one of those measured here or by Erin.

Oh thanks, I didn’t want the C10. Just the M10 or 12’s. Think there is an M12

beagleman

Major Contributor
I appreciate this comment. Prioritizing horizontal dispersion at the expense of low frequency extension is fine when choosing tradeoffs. I am struck, however, by the comments on other center speakers. Switching priorities to better bass extension in these horizontal mtm or mmtmm centers appears offensive to many ASR members. I think it's more productive to emphasize the compromises posed by severe height constraints and compare where manufacturers put their efforts. If you need a short and wide center you will have to pick your poison.

As I have said before, I own several center speakers, and have put them all through rotation for months at a time, and even compared them over short periods of time.

I agree the MTM has a bit of a dispersion issue, but my 2.5 way I really only notice it, if I listen for it. And my 3 way, is really not much better than the 2.5 way, well maybe on paper, but in real use, not a big change.

I really DO notice my one mini-center that rolls off below about 150 ish Hz. It has a much thinner tonality and struggles to integrate with a sub well.

This revel seems to be made well and do some things well, but the limited low end to me would be a deal breaker for sure.

I feel to be a legit center, it needs to go down to about 60-80 hz or in that range

WeiW

No. The Predicted-in-room response is excellent above bass.

Think of it this way. Take a perfect speaker that has 20 to 20 kHz response. Then high pass it at 200 Hz. Does it become a terrible speaker?
I'm looking for exactly a center speaker like this! Question: after attenuating 6db above 200hz, should I set the crossover at 200hz as well? Currently, I'm using a very small center speaker which is part of a Bose 5.1 system so the crossover is set at 110hz.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm looking for exactly a center speaker like this! Question: after attenuating 6db above 200hz, should I set the crossover at 200hz as well? Currently, I'm using a very small center speaker which is part of a Bose 5.1 system so the crossover is set at 110hz.
You need to measure your room to answer these questions. Your room has modes that cause certain frequencies to get amplified and others attenuated. And of course the mixture of sub and this speaker is an unknown.

The comment on attenuation was hypothetical by the way. I would use it as is and see where you land once room/wall impact plays its role.

Top Bottom