• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel C763L In-ceiling Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 60 50.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

brandonhall

Forum Donor
I just had four of these installed in our existing ceiling holes. My purchase price was $129 a pair and it is a well built speaker for that money. I have no idea how they measure, but they appeared to offer a good mix and value and performance. Haha, I can't pull mine out of the ceiling but it's a good candidate for in-ceiling measurements @amirm .

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We don't all live in Nort America. It certainly makes me uncomfortable when I see a US home renovation TV-Show and they finish a beautiful interior with a 65" TV hanging slightly below the ceiling.
Makes a lot of sense to mount the TV that way if you happen to have a dental chair in your living room.

c2270581e68dddc00816bafa11f62c0a.jpg

dasdoing

Major Contributor
we might be sitting straight on a "square" couch.....but only until we make ourselfs confortable.
moving the TV up makes sense, BUT you have to angle it down.

my mom when she was alive asked me to install a TV to hear bedroom. I installed it into the the wall/ceiling corner. it was perfect for when you lay down.

Reactions: EJ3

testp

i just had a thought, new speakers: be rotating & be good to user position..

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the review, @amirm
I could not help but vote for the HappyPanther for this Revel.
I kept imagining that it would have been a perfect marriage between this LCR and an upgraded audio system in a 1985 Plymouth Minivan.
202302_Minivan.png
:)

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a friend that has all of his 5.1 speakers (except the sub) mounted on locations of the ceiling that he sussed out when building the house many years ago.
Thanks for the feedback, but I do prefer my playback to actually resemble the original mix (i.e. bed layer speakers at or slightly above ear level per spec, etc.).
I would be using the angled bookshelves where they are meant to be placed for Atmos and or Auro (just as the speakers tested here are meant to be).

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the review, @amirm
I could not help but vote for the HappyPanther for this Revel.
I kept imagining that it would have been a perfect marriage between this LCR and an upgraded audio system in a 1985 Plymouth Minivan.
View attachment 264820:)
With a V6 and an upgraded suspension (KYB GAS-ADJUST-SHOCKS/STRUTS, bigger/better anti sway bars with graphite impregnated poly-urethane mounts & links, better tires)
these things can be almost a pleasure to drive. Now upgrade & finish the entertainment system (no, that is not the vehicle itself) and you have a pretty good family vehicle. Durable, keeps the peeps happy & almost fun to operate.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the feedback, but I do prefer my playback to actually resemble the original mix (i.e. bed layer speakers at or slightly above ear level per spec, etc.).
I would be using the angled bookshelves where they are meant to be placed for Atmos and or Auro (just as the speakers tested here are meant to be).
They do not do critical listening in that room, it is the living room with a kitchen bar & wide open kitchen/dining room open floor plan. If any critical listening where to occur, that would happen in the separate, closed off from the rest of the house, compute room (designated on the floor plan as a bedroom).
This is a husband & wife who are retired, never had nor wanted children, but love to stay busy and have better than average sound.
That they have managed to do.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many are thinking about using these speakers for Atmos height speakers. I don't see them being optimal in this configuration given the narrow usable angle. I hope to review more in-ceiling speakers to see if we can find the ideal ones for this use.
The interesting part of this review is that the C763L is/was heavily used as the Atmos speakers while mastering Blurays.

Last edited:

tehas

Thanks for the review Amir ! I've been thinking about how to get quality Atmos speakers in my listening room, and I think the best choice is upside down mounted bookshelves, with the tweeter pointed at the main position. Unfortunately, precious few bookshelves come with built in mounting hardware except pro studio monitors.

D700

@amirm

Even with limited dispersion angle, wouldn't these be superior to a reflected height speaker? For example, the one on top of the Klipsch RP-8060 FA II that fires at an angle to the ceiling, relying on the bounce to the seating position? Or are those types scattered enough to have a wider cone?

I'm planning a new from scratch basement home theater in the fall and was just starting look at this kind of thing.

The limited directivity of the Revel, if targeted correctly, seems like it would be superior, especially since I don't have a smooth ceiling (yet).

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I anxiously await more data on alternatives, but for now despite their limitations these seem to be the best option for in-ceiling Atmos duty, no?
If I had to guess, the best option if you insist on mounting speakers inside the ceiling is probably the Kef coaxials. They should avoid the dispersion issues that are otherwise going to plague these speakers.

They are not cheap, but if you have a speaker that fits in the ceiling AND it's also cheaper than the bookshelves you're using you really have to ask how it could possibly be good with all of those limitations.

A regular speaker mounted to the ceiling and pointed at the listening positions is probably always going to be the best, though.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
If you're doing in ceiling atmos, look at brands that have an angled in ceiling speaker. Some of them that are coaxial type will work well to cover a greater range of listeners. Triad, paradigm, golden ear come to mind off the top of my head. You can rotate them so the aim towards the center of the listing area.
If you use the Kefs, don't put them as dolby illustrates at 45°. They need to be closer to the listeners for decent sound. And if you do use them, it helps if you have taller ceilings, so they're not right near the listeners.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I have never heard of burning (indoors or out) being banned anywhere near here. Except out on the beaches, where the marshes could catch fire & burn up the multi-million $ homes & kill people. We do have very dry times when outdoor burning is highly regulated or banned.
Many of us set our lawns on fire annually to do a controlled burn off of the underbrush and heat the weed seeds up so that they don't germinate.
This avoids forest fires from the build up of too much underbrush (think California).
This also avoids putting pre-emergent weed killer (anti-fertilizer?) down, which can run off into the ground water, getting into our underground aquifers [some of the city's city water comes from there), getting into our salt water creeks & the fish, crabs, shrimp, oysters, etc that we eat, and getting into our fresh water river (the city's dominant water supply) which we drink.
The pre-emergent would also get into our fresh water rivers and their fish, and wildlife: deer (venison), feral pig, alligators, racoon, possums, squirrels, etc, that we also eat.
It looks to me like the choices are: have major forest fires (usually caused by lightning strikes and having lots of underbrush to burn) that take out whole communities, destroy people, wildlife, their habitats and poison the ground, also destroying wildlife, people and their habitats.
Or having controlled burns.
Alternatively, I guess, one could live in a big city, something I have wasted a few years doing several times in my life and have no intention of ever doing again.
It’s a large city things to reduce smog.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The interesting part of this review is that the C763L is/was heavily used as the Atmos speakers while mastering Blurays.
Used by whom, where?

Top Bottom