• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel C52 Speaker Review and Measurements

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@amirm Thanks for executing these cross check tests, which is really mandatory for any new test set up. Great outcome showing high confidence in the NFS results.

Adding the floor and ceiling reflections individually is very important information given their strong impact on perceive timbre, nice addition. Hope to continue seeing those in each review.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Not in the garage where it is. I have to get a microphone in there to measure. And at any rate, the garage is not what was modelled in Devantier paper where the formula came from. Fortunately I have a snapshot of the speaker in my theater. It is heavily smoothed but here it is:

f635d4_a74fe0a0680345d2bfffb2e7b37b38d9~mv2.png

Compared to Predicted In Room Response from the review:

index.php

Seems similar. :)

The unfiltered one is in this article: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/perceptual-effects-of-room-reflections.13/

f635d4_a85ac53b1d384bb3873a8d6c3581d042~mv2.png

I have to see if I still have the REW file to refilter it....

Indeed, if one compares your curve with predicted response north of 300-400Hz (as lower is affected by room modes) it does look pretty similar. :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The "normal Klippel," the KA3 analyzer is part of NFS and it can indeed measure many things. I can't show individual drivers since that would involve taking apart the speaker.
aww... where's your sense of adventure?

:cool:

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

gr-e

How comes that shallow dip at 800-1000Hz in vertical reflections chart found it's way to the listening window and much larger dip at 2100Hz didn't? Neither of them exists in horizontal reflection chart (middle graph).
2100Hz dip is offaxis interaction between tweeter and midrange. The listening window is not affected because it's only -10 to +10 degrees vertically, at these angles the dip is not significant.
The 800-1000Hz dip fills in on the horizontal measurements, but not on vertical, where the distance between the woofers remains the same. That makes me think that it's caused by interaction between LF drivers. I don't think they play that high, though. Perhaps, cone breakup? 1000Hz is a bit too early even for an 8 inch driver.
BTW, the wavelengths for 800Hz and 1000Hz are 425mm and 340mm. I wonder if that matches the distance between woofers. A close up measurement of each driver may shed some light on this issue.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Here is a thing that bugs me, and I'm not saying that I suspect this to be another bug in the software - I would simply like to hear an explanation.

How comes that shallow dip at 800-1000Hz in vertical reflections chart found it's way to the listening window and much larger dip at 2100Hz didn't? Neither of them exists in horizontal reflection chart (middle graph).

View attachment 46249

@amirm Any chance you can check with Klippel for the answer to this question? I would expect them to provide support for things like that.

Krunok

Major Contributor
2100Hz dip is offaxis interaction between tweeter and midrange. The listening window is not affected because it's only -10 to +10 degrees vertically, at these angles the dip is not significant.
The 800-1000Hz dip fills in on the horizontal measurements, but not on vertical, where the distance between the woofers remains the same.

I don't think you really explained why only 800-1000 dip found it's way to Listening window although neither exist on horizontal reflection measurement and 2100 dip is much deeper on vertical reflection measurement.

Krunok

Major Contributor
The 800-1000Hz dip fills in on the horizontal measurements, but not on vertical, where the distance between the woofers remains the same. That makes me think that it's caused by interaction between LF drivers. I don't think they play that high, though.

LF to MF XO is at 235 Hz.

gr-e

only 800-1000 dip found it's way to Listening window
Listening window includes on-axis measurement where this dip is at it's maximum depth. It doesn't include vertical measurements where the 2100Hz dip develops.
neither exist on horizontal reflection measurement
Horizontal reflection measurement includes much more measurements than listening window, and these measurements don't have 800Hz dip. That evens it out. No 2100Hz dip because drivers are placed vertically.
and 2100 dip is much deeper on vertical reflection measurement
Right, because it's present on a bunch of vertical measurements As I said, listening window only includes +10 and -10 vertical measurements

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Here's what I got
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HmiGrNsTEJFe4wqdJym5I48TcWTiFTWR2ZsPuPsxx0U/edit?usp=sharing
The frequencies per band were less, so that took a while to correct.
Again, please point out any errors.

SCORE: ~4.73

SCORE ignoring LFX: ~7.58

Great work, thanks again. I’ve spotted a couple of mistakes though. Looks like your LFX formula in the spreadsheet for the lower extension frequency at the -6 dB point, using the ‘closest Hz less than’ method, takes the value from the listening window, when it should take it from the sound power curve i.e. it should be 62.2559 Hz, not 58.5938 Hz (the formula is also incorrect for your NHT speaker spreadsheet, although the value happens to be the same as for the sound power curve in that case.)

As I said in the Speaker Equivalent SINAD Discussion thread, using the ‘closest Hz less than’ value makes much more sense in terms of matching up with Sean Olive’s description and formula for the LFX variable in his paper. You said:
For -6db, what if it’s 39.5Hz, wouldn’t using 39.5508Hz be more accurate to use than 38.8184Hz?
Yes, it may be more ‘accurate’ mathematically, but that’s irrelevant if that’s not the method Olive used in his AES paper. (He says ‘first frequency x_SP’ for a reason, not ‘nearest’ or ‘closest’.) We have to match Olive’s calculation method as close as possible, as the formula correlating these variables to actual preference scores was based on this method – we have no idea how changing the method would change the correlation. And as I said, I think it’s pretty obvious from Olive’s description of LFX that he was using the ‘closest Hz less than’ method. As the formula stands currently in your spreadsheet, using ‘closest Hz greater than’ translates to a ‘-6 dB’ low extension frequency that has not reached -6 dB, but is at a higher amplitude than this. Using ‘closest Hz less than’ gives you a frequency that has crossed the threshold of -6 dB, and so satisfies the criteria of Olive’s formula and description of LFX.

With these corrections, I arrive at a score of 4.86 for the Revel C52 (used full-range on its own – I presume for the second score, ‘ignoring LFX’ means ‘score if used with an ideal subwoofer with -6 dB point at 14.5 Hz’, as we discussed previously). The NHT speaker’s score is then also adjusted to 2.39 (up from 2.31 in your original spreadsheet).

As for what exact frequency bands to use for the calculations, I think that is a bit more ambiguous, and needs to be checked with Sean Olive. I’m still leaning towards him meaning ‘bands with center frequencies strictly between 100 Hz-12 kHz’ in the NDB variable definition, due to his description of bands using center frequencies in Part 1 of his paper (excerpts here), as well as the fact that ranges presented in scientific papers are most likely to be strict lower and upper bounds of variables within that range, and less likely rough bounds that can be crossed (if the latter is the case, ‘approximately’ is almost always used as a qualifier). So I think the correct approach would be either using center frequencies, or lower/upper bounds, but in both cases always within the frequency range Olive prescribes. Oh, did you solve the SM (smoothness) variable discrepancy by the way?

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I said, listening window only includes +10 and -10 vertical measurements

Right, based on the SPL line graphs it looks like that nastiness may not start until 20 or 30 degrees? It's hard to tell because the SPL/angle line graphs are completely unreadable. So the listening window totally ignores that.

My pleasure. I have found a good way to export files now from the software so yes, I will continue to post them this way.

This is where I complain about contour plots, but before that, is there some software that can use that CEA2034.txt data to produce a contour plot? I don't know anything about the math involved if so. If that's possible I will stop asking for contour plots in every review ;)

If not -- a file with the SPL values for +/- angles in the horizontal and vertical would be nice to have.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, did you solve the SM (smoothness) variable discrepancy by the way?
You mean how summation of X ≈ summation of Y?
If so, then no; they aren’t exactly equal though as their squares differ.

I have a math degree but only took 2 courses regarding probability/statistics, so I am not sure if that’s how it‘s supposed to be (the deviation of the linear progression from the data mostly averaging out).

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, based on the SPL line graphs it looks like that nastiness may not start until 20 or 30 degrees? It's hard to tell because the SPL/angle line graphs are completely unreadable. So the listening window totally ignores that.

This is where I complain about contour plots, but before that, is there some software that can use that CEA2034.txt data to produce a contour plot? I don't know anything about the math involved if so. If that's possible I will stop asking for contour plots in every review ;)

If not -- a file with the SPL values for +/- angles in the horizontal and vertical would be nice to have.

No, the CEA2034.txt document doesn't contain enough info for the contour plot, as far as I can tell - it's just magnitude responses for the lines in the CTA-2034 graph. You could generate contour plots with the SPL graphs and Vituixcad if amir provides txt files for those though.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, the CEA2034.txt document doesn't contain enough info for the contour plot, as far as I can tell - it's just magnitude responses for the lines in the CTA-2034 graph. You could generate contour plots with the SPL graphs and Vituixcad if amir provides txt files for those though.

Yeah, I was thinking about the vituixcad tracing... can it actually trace those graphs? There's so much overlapping that I can't even tell which line is which by eye, but maybe the software is better than my eye.

Edit: I just downloaded it and tried, nope, it can't trace a line without getting confused by the overlapping.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ooks like your LFX formula in the spreadsheet for the lower extension frequency at the -6 dB point, using the ‘closest Hz less than’ method, takes the value from the listening window, when it should take it from the sound power curve i.e. it should be 62.2559 Hz, not 58.5938 Hz (the formula is also incorrect for your NHT speaker spreadsheet, although the value happens to be the same as for the sound power curve in that case.)
I'm not seeing the issue.
For my LFX sheet:
Avg300-10000 = AVERAGE(SPIN!D43:D93) ; D is LW
Hz = INDEX(SPIN!A:A, Match(B2,SPIN!H:H,1)+1) ; H is SP

I have 3 methods shown for LFX: closest > than, closest < than, nearest (closest regardless)

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I was thinking about the vituixcad tracing... can it actually trace those graphs? There's so much overlapping that I can't even tell which line is which by eye, but maybe the software is better than my eye.

Actually just tried that - definitely does not work =]

If you have the off-axis spl text files though, vituixcad lets you import them and then you can create both contour and polar plots, as well as normalized them to on axis if you'd like. Actually, if amir provided the full 360 degree shebang you could also just generate the spins in vituixcad too, though it does some weird scaling stuff with the DI curves.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm
The # of frequency measurements for this were different (smaller) than for the NHT; was this due to the design difference or something else? Will bookshelf/tower measurements have the same data points?

If not, let me know, and I'll try to create a formula that can generate the 1/2 octave bands, as manually converting from my original to this one was a pain (so would making a formula, but at least it's one and done).

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
You mean how summation of X ≈ summation of Y?

No, that's not really surprising looking at the graphs. I meant the strange values you were getting for smoothness of the other curves compared to the predicted in-room response, not matching with the graphs visually.

I'm not seeing the issue.
For my LFX sheet:
Avg300-10000 = AVERAGE(SPIN!D43:D93) ; D is LW
Hz = INDEX(SPIN!A:A, Match(B2,SPIN!H:H,1)+1) ; H is SP

I have 3 methods shown for LFX: closest > than, closest < than, nearest (closest regardless)

As I said, the issue is specifically with your 'closest Hz less than' formula for LFX. where you have:
Hz = INDEX(SPIN!A:A, Match(B2,SPIN!D:D,1))

It should be:
Hz = INDEX(SPIN!A:A, Match(B2,SPIN!H:H,1))

This gives the correct -6 dB frequency of 62.2559 Hz (instead of 58.5938 Hz) for the Revel C52. The formula is also incorrect for the NHT speaker, but the value happens to be the same for the listening window and sound power curve there.

This 'closest Hz less than' should be the default value used for the LFX calculation, for the reasons I explained in my previous post. The other two methods don't make sense when looking carefully at Olive's description and formula for LFX.

Last edited:

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No, the CEA2034.txt document doesn't contain enough info for the contour plot, as far as I can tell

I'm starting to think that @amirm should try to come up with a way to export the data in the rawest form possible (though after the field separation math of course, otherwise things get really tricky). He could distribute this raw data in each review. We could write some Python or something to produce standard reports out of it (say, an HTML page with lots of graphs and details, such as the Olive score @MZKM is working on, or @3ll3d00d 's polarmap viewer). That would nicely complement the review. It would also help to compare speakers side by side. And researchers who want to do some specific, unusual analysis would have plenty of data to work from.

Top Bottom