• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel C208 or C205 for my specific room size.. Help!

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I too upgraded from the C25 (with M105s) to the C208 (with F206s) and the change is stunning. I have always had relatively wimpy center channels which, after years of using them, was clearly a huge mistake. The detail, clarity, range and power handling of the C208 is marvelous.

I think you'd have spend at least 3-4x the price to find a center worth upgrading from the C208. The only other center channel I've heard that would definitively make me want to upgrade was the Focal Viva Utopia Center.... which is 10x the price. Some day...
This is the feedback I was hoping for, thank you.

ed308

I recently added a C208 and F206 speakers to my HT. Using a pair of M106 for the surrounds. What I like best about the C208, is how clear dialogue is with movies. The C208 with its mid has been a game changer for me and my hearing issues. And the C208 with the F206 and M106 sound great with music too. The only negative with the C208, it is a massive speaker.

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I recently added a C208 and F206 speakers to my HT. Using a pair of M106 for the surrounds. What I like best about the C208, is how clear dialogue is with movies. The C208 with its mid has been a game changer for me and my hearing issues. And the C208 with the F206 and M106 sound great with music too. The only negative with the C208, it is a massive speaker.
Yep, it’s fucking huge, it’s like half an F208 laid sideways, which is prolly why it’s awesome.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I moved from the C25 to the C205 and the upgrade was significant in both tone and impact. I also don't have the space for a C208.

rynberg

I run a C208 with F206s in a 16'x12' room...yes, it looks absurdly large but I don't regret for one second going with it over the C205.

Vijay_kumar74

Forum Donor
Thanks for this thread!
I am getting used C12 but after going through this thread it seems, it has to be either C208 or C426Be to accompany F208s. I auditioned C208 and found it to be really good. I wonder if I should hold back and save upto C426Be to get "Beryllium crispier" center sound or it would be overkill/mismatch for F208s? Seats wise its usually only two seats about 20' away and assuming I should be able to accommodate any of the center.
BTW, "Beryllium Crisp" subjective term is result of Focal Utopia 2022 audition recently. Not sure how valid is it actually, esp in speakers world? :)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I moved from the C25 to the C205 and the upgrade was significant in both tone and impact. I also don't have the space for a C208.

I have a hard time understanding why this would be true. I have the C25 crossed at 90Hz with a pair of F206s, and the center will play as loud as I can stand it with no hint of audible distortion nor anything else objectionable. Dialog is clean and clear. And the C25 has a better spin than the C205 in many areas. Perhaps I managed better integration?

Of course, if I could fit the C208 under my screen, I would have one.

Also, this may be relevant to some people:

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a hard time understanding why this would be true. I have the C25 crossed at 90Hz with a pair of F206s, and the center will play as loud as I can stand it with no hint of audible distortion nor anything else objectionable. Dialog is clean and clear. And the C25 has a better spin than the C205 in many areas. Perhaps I managed better integration?

Of course, if I could fit the C208 under my screen, I would have one.

Also, this may be relevant to some people:

Maybe because I have m106 fronts and the C205 matches it better tonally? The moment I made the switch there was a significant difference. In fact I didn't like the c25 so much that I ended up turning it way down. I've played with cutting over it 90 but I like 100 even better. Same with the m106s... I like the cut at 90 better than 80. I do have two pretty good. RYTHMIK 1000W Hypex subs though. I'd rather them do some of the lifting. I didn't find the dialogue clean and clear on the c25. I shouldn't say that here because I want to sell it.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Maybe because I have m106 fronts and the C205 matches it better tonally? The moment I made the switch there was a significant difference. In fact I didn't like the c25 so much that I ended up turning it way down. I've played with cutting over it 90 but I like 100 even better. Same with the m106s... I like the cut at 90 better than 80. I do have two pretty good. RYTHMIK 1000W Hypex subs though. I'd rather them do some of the lifting. I didn't find the dialogue clean and clear on the c25. I shouldn't say that here because I want to sell it.
But I have F206 fronts, and the C25 matches them just fine? Turning the C25 down may have to do with how sensitive it is compared to the Performa3 line. Also, Audysseey, for example, uses 1KHz to set levels, and differences in amplitude there can cause volume mismatches between speakers. Integration results are much better with fine adjustment using a B or C weighted SPL meter after Audyssey runs. I also have pretty good dual subs flanking the center. And, the waveguides are dimensionally the same between the C25 and C205.

The story of how I ended up with a C25 is in the thread I linked above. Eventually, I did receive a C205, and I returned it after 3 weeks, because I could not hear enough difference to justify the $1000 price tag. Once integrated, they sounded virtually identical in my system/room.

Weird.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But I have F206 fronts, and the C25 matches them just fine? Turning the C25 down may have to do with how sensitive it is compared to the Performa3 line. Also, Audysseey, for example, uses 1KHz to set levels, and differences in amplitude there can cause volume mismatches between speakers. Integration results are much better with fine adjustment using a B or C weighted SPL meter after Audyssey runs. I also have pretty good dual subs flanking the center. And, the waveguides are dimensionally the same between the C25 and C205.

The story of how I ended up with a C25 is in the thread I linked above. Eventually, I did receive a C205, and I returned it after 3 weeks, because I could not hear enough difference to justify the $1000 price tag. Once integrated, they sounded virtually identical in my system/room.

Weird.
I guess everyone has their own experiences. I think I paid $500 for the c205 and I just like it a lot more..

risandipra

I'm just wondering, if the setup consist of 8"-woofer speakers for the L/R channel, an MTM design center channel speaker (dual 5.25 woofers), would it be better then if we connect the center channel using high-level-output to a dedicated 8" subwoofer, and then cross to 12" subwoofer along with other channels?

Thanks

okok

you need speaker in the red room, agent cooper?

Top Bottom