• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel C205 with JBL Studio 580s?

I've been using JBL 580s as my main TV/movies/music speakers in 2.0 for a while and I really like them. I recently decided to transition to 3.1, so I bought a 520c when it went on sale. I'm still in the process of setting it up, but I'm not super thrilled with it so far. It seems like I need to monkey with the levels a lot to get it to match evenly with the 580s, and I often have trouble hearing dialog when using 3.0 (and it becomes much more intelligible when I switch to 2.0). I've been looking around at different center options, and I see that some people recommend the Infinity RC263. However, on my local craigslist, someone just listed a Revel C205 for about $400, and I'm fairly tempted to jump on it.

Does anyone have any experience with this (or similar) combination? Or any other recommendations about setting up the 520c, or replacements for it?

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A few threads/links that might help.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...l-c25-center-channel-with-measurements.20374/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/infinity-rc263-center-speaker-review.12442/
https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com/2019/03/spinorama-data-revel-home.html

I'm no pro, so take this all with a grain of salt. But everything I've read tells me that a good 3 way WTMW center is going to be better than a 2 way MTM (WTW?). This is due to 'bad' topology/comb filtering @ too high of a xover point VS on center distance of the lower freq. drive on the 2 way which causes directive or even on axis problems. The only issue is size/weight/price... especially price, 3 way centers that are any good are usually expensive. The Inifinity RC263 seems to shine the best in this regard, especially if you can find it on a good sale.

tribesdude

As an owner of the RC263 (so I may be biased) I would say that they do sound excellent and dialogue is very clear and easy to hear. Before using that I had a Pioneer Sp C22 center (which is not a great center) and night and day difference in ability to hear the dialogue. I would wait for sale for it since in my view $160 for the RC263 is a good price (I do see its available on Amazon new from 3rd party for $260, but for something like that I don't know how reliable a 3rd party seller would be.

In terms of the revel vs rc263 I honestly don't know, I would assume since it's a 3 way design) and seeing how the rc263 measures) it would be better but honestly I am quite new to the science of audio so I ain't the best to say (still learning and there is so much to learn).

OP
B
Yeah, I might just pick up the RC263 because it is substantially cheaper than the Revel, even used. Actually, after doing some googling, it seems like some of the problem may be differences in bass output between the 520c and the 580s. So I might wait until after I get a subwoofer before I start comparing centers.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 520 is a poor match for the 590's. Center channel should be at least, if not more capable than L/R. 4" woofers in a 2 way MTM is a ridiculous mismatch to the 590's. I'd get an RC263 over the C205.

rynberg

I've been using JBL 580s as my main TV/movies/music speakers in 2.0 for a while and I really like them. I recently decided to transition to 3.1, so I bought a 520c when it went on sale. I'm still in the process of setting it up, but I'm not super thrilled with it so far. It seems like I need to monkey with the levels a lot to get it to match evenly with the 580s, and I often have trouble hearing dialog when using 3.0 (and it becomes much more intelligible when I switch to 2.0). I've been looking around at different center options, and I see that some people recommend the Infinity RC263. However, on my local craigslist, someone just listed a Revel C205 for about $400, and I'm fairly tempted to jump on it.

Does anyone have any experience with this (or similar) combination? Or any other recommendations about setting up the 520c, or replacements for it?

How is your center channel placed?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm currently just starting to test the RC263 as a replacement for my 520C with a 590/580/530 7ch setup. So far nothing significant but I haven't upped the levels particularly but not finished with how I want to position it yet like I did with the 520C. This seems to be a popular subject. I really thought I'd be disappointed with the 520 due the size "discrepancy" but I think that matching compression driver takes up a lot of slack. I crossed it fairly high so didn't really need it's lower bass capabilities. I like the RC263 but nothing particularly stands out, just some slight differences. Second day I ran it I forgot I'd even set it up the night before....

OP
B
Is it pulled to the edge so the faceplate is flush or even in front of the console? Aimed at listening position?
Yep and yep. I actually played with the crossover and set the 580s to large while crossing the 520c at 100Hz, and it solved some of the intelligibility issues. I think a sub may make an even bigger difference.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few threads/links that might help.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...l-c25-center-channel-with-measurements.20374/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/infinity-rc263-center-speaker-review.12442/
https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com/2019/03/spinorama-data-revel-home.html

I'm no pro, so take this all with a grain of salt. But everything I've read tells me that a good 3 way WTMW center is going to be better than a 2 way MTM (WTW?). This is due to 'bad' topology/comb filtering @ too high of a xover point VS on center distance of the lower freq. drive on the 2 way which causes directive or even on axis problems. The only issue is size/weight/price... especially price, 3 way centers that are any good are usually expensive. The Inifinity RC263 seems to shine the best in this regard, especially if you can find it on a good sale.
I just got one for less than $200. A great value and sounds great with my Revel F208s.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually paid $149 with free shipping.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually paid $149 with free shipping.

Incredible value. I really think the budget Harman speakers(Infinity R, JBL 5x, JBL 30x) on those sales are the best value in audio outside of great DIY.

Awesome that they can somewhat keep up with the F208s. F208 is an incredible speaker.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Incredible value. I really think the budget Harman speakers(Infinity R, JBL 5x, JBL 30x) on those sales are the best value in audio outside of great DIY.

Awesome that they can somewhat keep up with the F208s. F208 is an incredible speaker.
Yes-I was very surprised.

EdTice

The 520 is a poor match for the 590's. Center channel should be at least, if not more capable than L/R. 4" woofers in a 2 way MTM is a ridiculous mismatch to the 590's. I'd get an RC263 over the C205.
I bought a 520C because it was on sale for $80 and paired it with 530s. I wish I could have my $80 back. Maybe I can sell it and recover half the price although I'd feel somewhat guilty passing it on. There's a reason the RC263 is the only reviewed center that Amir has recommended. I have a pair of JBL S Series centers that I plan to use for surround rears in a location where the physical placement is challenging. I might try one of them as a center to see if I like it. They are at least a three-way design although with the crossover at 800, I may still run into similar trouble as an MTM design as the woofers will be carrying most of the voice. If I'm not happy, I'll hold out for an RC263 sale and not settle for anything else.

sword

I bought a 520C because it was on sale for $80 and paired it with 530s. I wish I could have my $80 back. Maybe I can sell it and recover half the price although I'd feel somewhat guilty passing it on. There's a reason the RC263 is the only reviewed center that Amir has recommended. I have a pair of JBL S Series centers that I plan to use for surround rears in a location where the physical placement is challenging. I might try one of them as a center to see if I like it. They are at least a three-way design although with the crossover at 800, I may still run into similar trouble as an MTM design as the woofers will be carrying most of the voice. If I'm not happy, I'll hold out for an RC263 sale and not settle for anything else.
Amir also recommended the Polk S30, a 2-way MTM design. I would not limit my selection only to speakers Amir has reviewed.
The RC263 has not been available for sale for at least 6 months. I question if it will ever come back, much less at the sale price.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/polk-s30-center-speaker-review.24728/

sword

I am using the 520C with 580's in a 5.1 open living room system. I think the 520C is fine, and much better than my 19 year old psb Image 5C. It's set about 6db higher than the 580's, but it can play loud without audible distortion, and dialogue is clear. I did order a Monoprice 365C, which is much bigger and more expensive, so we'll see how it compares.

Haint

Amir also recommended the Polk S30, a 2-way MTM design. I would not limit my selection only to speakers Amir has reviewed.
The RC263 has not been available for sale for at least 6 months. I question if it will ever come back, much less at the sale price.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/polk-s30-center-speaker-review.24728/

S30 has a very obvious beamwidth narrowing issue though, which would make it a very poor choice for a center channel meant to serve several seats. I would expect the Emotiva C1+ or SVS Prime Center to be better budget choices, but can't say for certain given an absence of measurements.

EdTice

S30 has a very obvious beamwidth narrowing issue though, which would make it a very poor choice for a center channel meant to serve several seats. I would expect the Emotiva C1+ or SVS Prime Center to be better budget choices, but can't say for certain given an absence of measurements.
Yeah the S30 is pretty good for an MTM design. Better if used vertically. Although we may not get the RC263 at that sale price , there are plenty of three-way design centers out there. I just bought a JBL S Center ( https://www.crutchfield.com/S-r5s5bu1CkGE/p_109SCNTR/JBL-S-Center.html ) used for $40. We will see how that works out.

I am using the 520C with 580's in a 5.1 open living room system. I think the 520C is fine, and much better than my 19 year old psb Image 5C. It's set about 6db higher than the 580's, but it can play loud without audible distortion, and dialogue is clear. I did order a Monoprice 365C, which is much bigger and more expensive, so we'll see how it compares.

I won the evil cousin of the S30 (The S35.) I was hoping not to have to admit that. With that center, yeah, with a 6db boost for movies, the dialog is just fine. That's also true for my 520C. The two perform similarly (and both have similar high retail prices but good sale prices). The S35 actually has better power handling and it might even be better for music. But I need every bit of the 6db to understand dialog.

The designs of the SVS, Emotiva, and Monolith are all three-way and likely a significant step up in terms of dialog. I don't know what the JBL S Center sold for new, unfortunately, so not sure it's a great item to compare. But guessing it was priced similarly to the 520C.

Top Bottom