• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel bookshelf comparison of M16's to M105's

Ramsay

I am looking for some guidance on the sound differences between these two speaker models. I have read Amir's measurements and reviews, but I would appreciate some observations of others based mainly upon listening experiences vs measurements. If I like the sound of the M16's, is it likely that I will like the M105's even better? I have an opportunity to get the M105's at a discounted price which is close to the M16 price. Is that a no-brainer, or do some people prefer the less expensive M16's, and if so, please explain why. Thank-you.

Beave

Major Contributor
Are you using a subwoofer (or two), or running the speakers full range?

Beave

Major Contributor
The M105s have less midbass AND less bass extension. But in the rest of the range, they're a little smoother. So it depends on how much you'd subjectively miss that extra bass the M16s provide.

OP
R

Ramsay

The M105s have less midbass AND less bass extension. But in the rest of the range, they're a little smoother. So it depends on how much you'd subjectively miss that extra bass the M16s provide.
If I add a decent subwoofer, would this eliminate the issue with less mid- bass and bass extension?

OP
R

Ramsay

Also, how does the upper range on the M105 compare to the M16?

Lsc

Is it just the one pair that’s for sale at that price for the M105?

If not, I’d like to get a pair of M105 for my surrounds. I’ll pass on the M16.

OP
R

Ramsay

It' just the one pair as far as I know. if I decide not to buy, I'll give you the details

Reactions: Lsc

Beave

Major Contributor
If I add a decent subwoofer, would this eliminate the issue with less mid- bass and bass extension?

Yes, to a large extent, but not entirely. It depends some on your crossover setting and on how loud you listen. The M16 will *probably* be able to play *a little* louder in the range just above the crossover to any subwoofer. If you're not blasting at really loud levels, this is a non-issue.

A subwoofer (or two), with dsp EQ, will be a benefit to either the M16 or to the M105. Only you can decide how important bass is to you. (For example, do you listen to classical at low levels, or hip hop at high levels? Is your room a 10x12 bedroom or an 18x30 living room?)

willy65000

Sounds good!
Hey is there a chance you can see if they have another pair at that price or maybe pass the information my way after you purchase? It would be greatly appreciated. That's a great price.

Lsc

Hey is there a chance you can see if they have another pair at that price or maybe pass the information my way after you purchase? It would be greatly appreciated. That's a great price.
I think you quoted the wrong person. The Op has the deal. I agree, it’s a no brainer for me. The fact that this is a dilemma is a head scratcher imho. The M105 is a superior speaker.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Considering the price differential (if money matters to you) the question to ask yourself

1650756631977.png

Lsc

Considering the price differential (if money matters to you) the question to ask yourself

View attachment 201870
The difference in cost is small enough here that I’d get the performa3 over the concerta2. If the M16 sounds as good as the M105, then Revel hasn’t done a good job with product differentiation.

It’s just my humble opinion. Others could have different opinions.

willy65000

I think you quoted the wrong person. The Op has the deal. I agree, it’s a no brainer for me. The fact that this is a dilemma is a head scratcher imho. The M105 is a superior speaker.
My bad. I misread his response and thought he had in fact decided not to buy and was passing the info to you. Thanks for pointing it out. I missed out on a used pair the other day for $650.00 and thought that was a smokin deal. They sold immediately.

jonfitch

Most of the time you are buying more for aesthetics than performance with higher end offerings.

Top Bottom