• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel - Big Price Increase

MeThinksTooMuch

Forum Donor
Too tired and buzzed to document details, but noticed significant price increases across the board for Revel speakers today. Totally changes the decision making process for me.

Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

JSmith

Master Contributor
price increases across the board for Revel speakers today.
This was announced back in July;
Hopefully temporary... but things rarely go down in price if inflation had caused the increase.

JSmith

OP
MeThinksTooMuch

MeThinksTooMuch

Forum Donor
This was announced back in July;
Hopefully temporary... but things rarely go down in price if inflation had caused the increase.

JSmith
Thank you both for the replies. With a clear mind, it makes sense given the rise in shipping costs. I was thinking about returning the M126Bes I've been auditioning and try out the F226Be. With the price increase, I've decided to stick with the bookshelves and call it a day. They are fine speakers and are right sized for my space.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Hopefully temporary...
:D Right! :D

Some of our "leaders" in Washington are saying inflation will be "transitory". Meantime they are trying to pass pass multi-trillion dollar spending bills and cranking-up the money-printing machines. They don't understand economics...

Even if you believe them, I think "transitory" means the high-inflation rate would be temporary and then normal-slower inflation will resume. They aren't predicting deflation...

They think printing/creating money creates wealth but I always say, "If you give everybody in town a million dollars, how much do you think the plumber is going to charge?" There's also a great line at the end of The Jerk where Steve Martin is going broke and his wife says, "I don't care about the money, I care about the stuff!"

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought electronics for a pcb run for work (not audio). Cost was 40% higher than the same kit ordered Dec 2020. It's crazy and we will have to pass it on when we do 2022 pricing.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They were already expensive for speakers made in the third world.

I thought they were made in China? I wouldn't call China third world.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It all depends on what you can buy in that country for that amount of money. If you think that chinese products are cheap in Europe, what do you think they cost in mainland.

Calling one of the most high tech countries with one of the most advanced nuclear and space programs a third world country looks, pardon my impression, pretty ignorant.

Willem

Major Contributor
Similar price hikes are seen in Europe as well. The cause is a combination of pent up consumer demand, an unexpectedly successful economic recovery in many countries (Dutch GDP e.g. is back at pre Covid levels), reduced production capacity (many manufacturers scaled down production in the expectation of a Covid slump that did not materialize) and higher energy and transport costs.
The generous money supply policy of many central banks (in highly divergent political contexts) has kept us out of a depression, but surely needs to be scaled back now (although not too much). It will be a challenging tightrope act.

changer

Strictly speaking, the PRC is, since the fall of the SU, the singular territory on the world market that could rightfully inherit the title of ‘second world’. Albeit at the price of another ignorance, that there is no iron curtain at the moment, that CPC leadership learned from the demise of their SU counterparts and chose absorption into the world market of the ‘first world’ over economic isolation. So they must at least be called ‘first-and-a-half world’, which also reflects nicely how dependent the high wage countries are on their production. Anyway, ‘third world’ they are surely not, a helpless Cold War term nowadays. The disruption in supply chains is severe and the full consequence will only arrive with delay, 2022 and 23 will get even stiffer and the 10% increase right now, that one can see everywhere across the field, will be exceeded soon. The one who is waiting for relaxation and a return to a prepandemic global production will pay the most.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to say that when I visit China now and look around me, and when I look at the quality of research in Chinese universities, technological capability etc I ask myself which country is undeveloped. And it isn't China.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
It all depends on what you can buy in that country for that amount of money. If you think that chinese products are cheap in Europe, what do you think they cost in mainland.
I said, from the point of view of labour cost, not buying power or anything. What magnitude of money the enterprise is spending on labour compared to the price of its products and that of the competition that may or may not have the same labour expenses, if you prefer. I can't help but compare to Genelec that manufactures in Finland, to be honest.
Calling one of the most high tech countries with one of the most advanced nuclear and space programs a third world country looks, pardon my impression, pretty ignorant.
While I get your thinking, "third world" isn't only about GDP and other country wide metrics, in my opinion.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aren't Performa3 made in Indonesia anyway?

And Concerta in Mexico?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just checked, and after keeping the list price on the Salon2s the same since 2008 at just under $22,000/pair, Music Direct is listing them for $24,198. Still a good value, IMO, but after a stable price for so incredibly long it seems like the end of an era.

eddantes

F35's and F36's at $300-400 off at the moment at C.......d - I dunno - but at this price, they seem like a bargain to me. 10% be damned.

Top Bottom