• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel - Big Price Increase

jonfitch

President Carter tapping Paul Volcker to do his thing to kill stagflation and reset US monetary policy is probably the most courageous thing a politician has done in my lifetime. The short term effects were a disaster for his re-election campaign, but the long term effect was the monetary stability we’ve had for a generation.

Courageous if you are a capital owner yes, not for labor. Paul Volcker did that expressly to kill the labor movement and unionized labor. That marked the end of the Great Compression and the begining of what we call the era of Neoliberalism.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
President Carter tapping Paul Volcker to do his thing to kill stagflation and reset US monetary policy is probably the most courageous thing a politician has done in my lifetime. The short term effects were a disaster for his re-election campaign, but the long term effect was the monetary stability we’ve had for a generation.
I think Carter made some naive decisions, and some plain bad decisions. I've always respected him as honest and courageous however. Opinions I've not had for any other presidents since.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Digital_Thor

I just build a test box for my new RS390HF subwoofers.... good my father had some old wood in the barn he won't use anymore, because wood is up by 373% here, which is a bit.... especially considering my 120 liters DIY subwoofers need some extra wood to be stiff enough :p

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Let's hope you are right. The alternative of having high inflation on top of everything else is pretty scary thought. Was just looking at prices of fish at Whole Foods Market and it was $30/pound for Sea Bass! That's so crazy.
Yeah and that's for previously frozen (at least, at the WF here). The fresh stuff nearby is $42/lb.!

Toltek

Let's hope you are right. The alternative of having high inflation on top of everything else is pretty scary thought. Was just looking at prices of fish at Whole Foods Market and it was $30/pound for Sea Bass! That's so crazy.
Branzino or patagonian toothfish?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DSJR

Major Contributor
I think a 10% price increase after ten or more years with stable pricing is actually very good, especially with things as they are right now. One of 'The Terrible Twosome' UK manufacturers who dominated the UK audio market back then decided back in the 80's that they didn't want 'wealthy Germans' coming here and buying their goods here at a lower price, so our home market suffered around a 25% or so increase spread over two or three years. The other maker had a religious price increase in line with inflation (needed or not) every April 1st (I got the joke, eventually) and this continued year in year out although I think they now have random increases when they feel the need. The first maker hinted at, had an 8% increase around a year ago and a substantially higher one this December. Knowing that some of the cases and turntable parts are made by them at the factory, the materials costs must have jumped hugely in prices, mustn't they? Thing is, the brand loyalty is so high I suspect the customers will absorb it to a large degree. Mind you, the large German or SUV style of cars the typical client seems to drive and energy prices in general, may squeeze them harder as incoming road taxe increases for higher emission gas-guzzlers, fuel prices and energy bills are rocketing here...

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't sea bass endangered? Or at least overfished? That's my favorite fish when I eat out.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no such thing as Sea Bass. It's a marketing term. If you mean the Patagonian Toothfish I believe populations are on the rebound.
I'm not savvy on what fish are called in a restaurant but I did hear there are more than one variety of fish marketed as Chilean Sea Bass in restaurants.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some OT, OTT posts deleted. Try to stay within the broad guardrails of the forum.
Cheers.
...flips over guardrail, bursts into flames.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no such thing as Sea Bass. It's a marketing term. If you mean the Patagonian Toothfish I believe populations are on the rebound.
They say they live long so they contain more mercury?

I like Orange Roughy too.

Top Bottom