• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel - Big Price Increase

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Harman distribution in Europe (except cheap BT loudspeakers and headphones) is a big mess since decades which is a big shame...
Yeah, there are like 2-3 small dealers in the Netherlands that sell them. Ended up importing my M106 from the UK (before Brexit) at half the MSRP incl. shipping. Came down to €1100-1150 or something for a pair. If it wasn't for that I would have just bought the KEF R3 instead. Heard them both and can't really pick my favourite.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Too tired and buzzed to document details, but noticed significant price increases across the board for Revel speakers today. Totally changes the decision making process for me.

Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

We have had to hit our customers with 20-30% price increases in some cases. Our profits are not up, our costs are. We expect to get back to normal some time in 2022. It is what it is. Rising fuel costs this winter could push that up higher.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
We have had to hit our customers with 20-30% price increases in some cases. Our profits are not up, our costs are. We expect to get back to normal some time in 2022. It is what it is. Rising fuel costs this winter could push that up higher.
My wife's retail business, under contract from distributor to buy truckloads at market price, had healthy margins on a $20 retail commodity product 2 years ago that was selling for $54 retail this year with a 4%ish margin that wouldn't possibly keep the lights on and pay employees. They were selling out, and customers were accusing them of gouging at the same time, and prices were competitive, so everyone else was probably losing money too.

audio2design

Major Contributor
My wife's retail business, under contract from distributor to buy truckloads at market price, had healthy margins on a $20 retail commodity product 2 years ago that was selling for $54 retail this year with a 4%ish margin that wouldn't possibly keep the lights on and pay employees. They were selling out, and customers were accusing them of gouging at the same time, and prices were competitive, so everyone else was probably losing money too.

I don't think the average joe has a clue just how crazy the supply chain is for durable goods right now.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They were already expensive for speakers made in the third world.
While I get your thinking, "third world" isn't only about GDP and other country wide metrics, in my opinion.

Edit: I just read @AdamG247's response on page 2 (thank you!!) which covers what I originally wrote here in response.

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Keep in mind that governments are printing money all over the world. That can't do anything but drive inflation. It is effectively taxation.
Governments has not printed money, this is the central banks.
Drive the inflation for who?
I never saw in my pocket this money.
On the stock market and housing market, i see this inflation.
The nasdaq under the Trump Era has made x2,5.
The average employee searchs the banknotes in his pocket.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't help but compare to Genelec that manufactures in Finland, to be honest.
I disagree that you can reliably predict the quality of a product based on where it's made.

For instance, we learned during the 1976 Judgement of Paris that the world's finest wine could, in fact, come from California and not from France, contrary to what many had previously assumed.

Apple products, which are manufactured in China, are widely considered to be well designed and well built.

And to respond to your example about Genelec and Finland, have you seen the teardown photos of the Genelec 8351B? To me, it looks like Bose-quality: cheapo wire, molded plastic, ferrite magnets, paper cones.

There's no need to be elitist about country of manufacture. Personally, I've found that price is a better marker of quality than country.

Last edited:

snaimpally

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The most important aspect is not the product(ion) quality but the social aspect of moving production to other low salary and social, health etc. standards countries than the origin(al) ones. More and more people become unemployed and not everyone can be a designer, engineer manager etc., big social questions and re-configurations are coming towards us. Also usually when production is moved to a low cost country, you almost never see a similar reflect on the product price, its all only about finance numbers like stock market, profitability etc., not sustainability and the well-being of the employees.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And to respond to your example about Genelec and Finland, have you seen the teardown photos of the Genelec 8351B? To me, it looks like Bose-quality: cheapo wire, molded plastic, ferrite magnets, paper cones.

There's no need to be elitist about country of manufacture. Personally, I've found that price is a better marker of quality than country.
I wouldn't call the 8351B cheap, so you are contradicting yourself: if the parts are cheap, then it is expensive because it is made in Finland.

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
I disagree that you can reliably predict the quality of a product based on where it's made.

For instance, we learned during the 1976 Judgement of Paris that the world's finest wine could, in fact, come from California and not from France, contrary to what many had previously assumed.

Apple products, which are manufactured in China, are widely considered to be well designed and well built.

Price may be a better gauge but I don’t feel it is a particularly good one.

Expensive products have been evaluated here that don’t perform particularly well. And various automobiles at various prices can have reliability issues.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Price may be a better gauge but I don’t feel it is a particularly good one.

Expensive products have been evaluated here that don’t perform particularly well. And various automobiles at various prices can have reliability issues.
Exactly.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't call the 8351B cheap, so you are contradicting yourself: if the parts are cheap, then it is expensive because it is made in Finland.
There's no contradiction. Prior poster was insinuating that build and component quality would be high for products made in Finland as opposed to China. I provided examples where the opposite was true, in this case pointing out that the internals of a Genelec model, built in Finland, look cheap.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no contradiction. Prior poster was insinuating that build and component quality would be high for products made in Finland as opposed to China. I provided examples where the opposite was true, in this case pointing out that the internals of a Genelec model, built in Finland, look cheap.
He didn't talk about quality of components, only about cost of manpower.

Anyway, I read the thread about the 8135B disasembly here and not everybody agreed about the elements being cheap.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He didn't talk about quality of components, only about cost of manpower.
Look bud, he said a lot of things, none of which I wish to dignify by giving it any more air time. If you feel strongly about it, please feel free to send me a PM and I'll respond when I get to it.

Anyway, I read the thread about the 8135B disasembly here and not everybody agreed about the elements being cheap.

No, you're right. A lot of Genelec owners clearly couldn't get past the fact that their $8,000 speakers had THOSE components inside. But c'mon, take a look again - if someone didn't tell you these were $8,000 Genelecs would you have known they weren't $100 mass-market grade speakers?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
You made your position quite clear when you referred to the country of China using derogatory terminology.
And you clearly understood that I didn't meant what you infered from the word. Do you have an axe to grind or something?

There you go again. Wow.
Sorry if not everyone agrees with you. The whole sentence meant that I think it is negligible and/or non-applicable in this context.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And you clearly understood that I didn't meant what you infered from the word. Do you have an axe to grind or something?

Sorry if not everyone agrees with you. The whole sentence meant that I think it is negligible and/or non-applicable in this context.
Thank you and have a pleasant day.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Thread notice: Please kindly stay away from making this a political or Race based conversation. We don’t need a lesson in global economics either. This thread is about cost increases for Revel products. Let’s not drift into geopolitical tensions and arguments. If we can’t stay on topic swift thread bans will be forthcoming. This is the second warning for this Thread. I’m asking nicely!

Top Bottom