• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Response to PS Audio on P12 PowerPlant Measurements (Video)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
The saga continues

brandonhall

Forum Donor
@amirm brought slides and plenty of passion for this takedown response. Regardless of all the hoopla and measurements, these devices don't pass the smell test of necessity. Maybe if you were running a 100k system off a generator for some reason. This category was created out of thin air to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's pretty clear the inbuilt THD analysis of the PS Audio P-12 powerplant is considerably better than you give it credit for. It is correctly displaying the notched-out residual under magnification, something completely unrelated to the number of pixels on the LCD. It's not an APX-555 and doesn't pretend to be. Take it for what it is.

The line regulation cannot be dismissed and it is trivial to demonstrate with any medium powered amplifier using a traditional linear (transformer/bridge/caps) that a lower supply voltage translates directly to a much lower output power. Also, line regulation serves to prolong the life of filter capacitors, incandescent dial/meter illumination and other components not sitting downstream from a regulator.

Most amplifiers of traditional design (the majority of amplifiers out there likely to use this product), have little to no regulation for their main high current supplies and not much more (other than a RC) for the front ends.

The simple fact of the matter is a low impedance, stable mains voltage supplying your gear is a good thing. PS Audio is supplying a product for sale that does that. That cannot be argued with and still retain credibility. You can choose to buy one or not, but this continual unwarranted attack on the man and the company is unbecoming.

Why not just let it go?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The line regulation cannot be dismissed and it is trivial to demonstrate with any medium powered amplifier using a traditional linear (transformer/bridge/caps) that a lower supply voltage translates directly to a much lower output power.
Please refer to this post for some example calculations and notes.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The line regulation cannot be dismissed and it is trivial to demonstrate with any medium powered amplifier using a traditional linear (transformer/bridge/caps) that a lower supply voltage translates directly to a much lower output power.
That is a two-way street. If your voltage is higher than it, you lose power by regulation.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Also, line regulation serves to prolong the life of filter capacitors, incandescent dial/meter illumination and other components not sitting downstream from a regulator.
What about the P12 itself? You think your net MTBF is improved with a 1,300 watt linear amplifier whaling at mains frequencies? And to the tune of nearly $6,000? I could repair plenty of gear for that much money. Modern audio gear doesn't have dials and meter illumination that way anyway.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
By title of thread thought for a sec we had an actual response from some sort of response from PMcG.....oh, well.
That was my expectation before I hit play on his vide. Then I see two voltmeters and a dummy load....

jae

Major Contributor
dead-horse-spank.gif

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
Amir, my understanding of a PS Audio policy is that they will allow a previous customer to apply the full cost of their old equipment towards the purchase of new gear. You should trade in your old gear, get something new.... and measure it. :p

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, my understanding of a PS Audio policy is that they will allow a previous customer to apply the full cost of their old equipment towards the purchase of new gear. You should trade in your old gear, get something new.... and measure it. :p
Now there is a thought! I wonder what they will give me for the P300.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And the source impedance from the HC outputs is six times higher than running straight from the wall….

It isn't. It has been pointed out several times, the 'measured' 'impedance' is clearly in error. Do the math.

Reactions: JRS
Top Bottom