• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Resonance + recommend me budget speakers

Mishaiger

Hello, i need some help with choosing new passive bookshelf speakers.

I currently own a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 220 and they are quite good and all, but i have this specific problem. I listen in room with low reverberation and can hear some kind of resonance which is gradually decaying somewhere inside of the speakers.
Here it is, about 320 hz:
close to speaker decay.png

So i decided to get myself a new pair of speakers. I have a subwoofer, so i don't need speakers to play low bass.
My current picks are either Dali Spektor 2 or Wharfedale 12.1, but i will gladly check any other recommendations.
I only found some frequency response here and there, but nothing regarding resonances.

I thought of listening to them at local speakers dealer shop, but then i decided to check my speakers in other rooms at home first.
I tested them in 2 rooms with default room reverberations, here are results:
decay room1.pngdecay room 2.png
In other rooms i could not distinguish between room reverberations and speaker resonance, so i decided that listening trip to local shop is not worth it.

About new speakers. I don't necessarily need super flat frequency response, since i can simply use equalizer, but as far as i understand, they need reasonably good directivity to equalize well.

So, if anyone know something regarding my problem, or can say anything about or even measure Dali or Wharfedale speakers, would be great to know anything.
Other than that, recommend me some, preferably resonance free, budget speakers. My budget is 500$ for pair, but maybe i'm willing to spend some more...

detlev24

See how those perform in your room; if you can get a pair for testing at a local dealer's shop:

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker [Review]

It would allow you to compare the loudspeaker's resonance in your room to amirm's Klippel measurements.

OP
M

Mishaiger

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, i can't test any speaker at home without buying it first, and if i buy it and its in fine condition then i cannot return it to shop. I can listen to it at their shop's listening room, but i saw the pictures of their room and its not as treated as mine, so i wouldn't be able to measure required data.

Also, i see no reason not to trust amirm's measurements, if he measured resonances, then they will also be in my room. Question is - will this resonances be audible?..
Moreover, in amirm's measurements of my current Diamond 220 there is also some hint at resonance, while its almost or fully invisible at impedance and phase graph: iap.png.
But this resonance is seen in distortion graph for some reason: dist.png.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why not the JBL stage Amir reviewed recently ?

OP
M

Mishaiger

JBL Stage A130 sure is nice speaker, but look at impedance and phase graph, there is clearly a few resonances, and maybe also port resonance.

Ok, so i think what i want to know is can anyone measure any budget speaker up close at room with similar reverberation times as mine?
Here is my RT60 at listening position: rt60.png, so, if there is someone here with room which have 100 or less ms reverberation time, and budget speakers you can recommend, then please post decay graph or attach whole measurement. Or at least share your experience.

About my speaker buying choice. I tested 2 really lame speakers, which i have at home, in my room, and they don't have any measurable resonance. Which is why i thought that maybe resonances are not that common in speakers and chose Dali Spektor 2 because its recommended at many reviewing sites without any measurements.
Also i have no idea from where my resonance is coming from. It may be box, drivers, port or even crossover. Then i saw some new box bracing technique used in Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 and thought that maybe it's worth a shot.

So i'm interested in how these two speakers will measure in room similar to mine, but will be glad to see any speaker measurements in similar room.

Top Bottom