• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Resolving Measurement Issues with SONCOZ SGD1 DAC

TK750

@goldenears still has much to learn about operating his AP555x and understanding/comparing measurements.
He is not the only one though that did not understand what exactly he was measuring and seems he only posted this to discredit Amir, just like @goldenears seems to have done.

Ah well... every one makes mistakes.
One just shouldn't use those mistakes to discredit someone else while accusing the same person for borking measurements on purpose.

To be fair, I'd say that's a bit of a straw man mate

1632133661876.png

1632133710707.png

I think it's good to point out discrepancies, and as a result we have found out the cause. Maybe he was a bit too quick to jump to possibly cherry picked unit etc but it's a possible explanation. I'm glad it has been figured out as it was potentially putting me off purchasing one. No idea about the reddit thread or people there so won't comment on that.

Tks

Major Contributor
@goldenears still has much to learn about operating his AP555x and understanding/comparing measurements.
He is not the only one though that did not understand what exactly he was measuring and seems he only posted this to discredit Amir, just like @goldenears seems to have done.

One just shouldn't use those mistakes to discredit someone else while accusing the same person for borking measurements on purpose.

Wait, the dude in the reddit post is GoldenEars? I honestly hope not, I'd have never imagined something as dumb as that post would be his doing...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Are you sure about that?

pretty sure.

Wait, the dude in the reddit post is GoldenEars? I honestly hope not, I'd have never imagined something as dumb as that post would be his doing...

No he is not, he just pointed to the SBAF tread with measurements from Goldensound = Goldenearsone. (oops did it again)

Not sure how you've decided that's his account but I'll take your word for it, he did go by the usual alias but was banned. I wouldn't call what you've posted doxxing but it is pretty childish imo.

Look at the logo used for both accounts and his YT channel.
Look at the thread about MQA (goldenone here)
Look at the thread about MQA (goldenone at SBAF and he registered goldensound)

Edit: yeah yeah I get the confusion now.

Last edited:

OverDrive

IMD hump need hardware fix.
The software corrects the 2nd and 3rd harmonics of the Ess DAC chip.
I have the soncoz sgd1 from october 2020, buy on audiophonics.fr. There is a list of the serials that do not have the hardware fix. I would like to verify that the product in my possession is ok.
Thanks

Tks

Major Contributor
pretty sure.

No he is not, he just pointed to the SBAF tread with measurements from Goldensound = Goldenears.

Oh that? Yeah I guess that post and the one @TK750 provided is okay enough. As he comes to a conclusion I also would with respect to golden samples. Truth be told, this isn't the first time SMSL had a unit discrepancy, Wolf also showed a retail sample with a disastrously lower performance. Nonetheless, I suppose either SMSL has an incompetency problem, or they are playing games and should have been timed out. Or at the least, be forced into an ordeal which Topping offered Amir once I recall in a review in an good faith attempt to clear the air (where they offer reimbursement of the retail cost of a unit Amir would be free to purchase to do away with these golden sample accusation issues).

I personally thought a while back that you'd have to be an utter buffoon to send golden samples. Now, I'm not so sure, it seems perhaps some companies would risk it for a biscuit.

Nonetheless now that there are more AP's out in the wild, it'll be interesting to see how many companies would want to risk golden samples (or whatever the reason for some massive performance differences is).

Though minor differences from unit to unit tests are evident between AP machines (calibration dates, and just silicon seems slightly different, like for instance how Amir's doesn't always produce precise frequnecy of analogue-out during his amp reviews, while Wolf's trends a bit differently). But these differences I hope aren't the sort of thing being deliberated here, because that would be stupid on an even grander level.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, he is a fellow member. Shouldn't we be hearing it from himself, @goldenears care to reply?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Well, he is a fellow member. Shouldn't we be hearing it from himself, @goldenears care to reply?

He says he is banned so he can't.

nothing about @goldenears being GoldenSound.

Ah yes... correct... my bad
I still can't believe I did not see the goldenears bit I wrote... must be something similar to reading over a typo a zillion times where someone else sees it immediately.

Last edited:

TK750

He says he is banned so he can't.

Why don't you try proving they are NOT the same ?

I must be missing something here as I usually find your comments to be very logical. The point the other guy was making I assume was why wouldn't he comment from the goldenears account? Proving a negative seems to be a pretty bizarre challenge to go about, why would one assume they are the same when I haven't seen anything to suggest they are? (again, maybe I've missed something here).

SoundsGood2Me

Forum Donor
Amir I for one appreciate all your efforts, especially as it's such a unique niche to be in, and I understand you're "retired." But don't let the jealous nit-pickers bring you down, I think you're doing pretty good. What's your subscribership at now?

Please keep it up, you've exposed so much audiophoolery and what's truly the best thru objective measurements. John Atkinson can't do it all!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Ahh.. GoldenSound = Goldenone at SBAF = @Goldenearsone at ASR and on his GoldenSound YT channel.
All with the same logo and 'golden' and all author of the MQA article... what more proof do you need ?

I can lie about my age too or just fill in something if you don't want folks to know such info. I don't... almost 60 now.
He is 46 acc to ASR account. He is 41 acc. to SBAF account and he entered high school in 2015. In UK one is around 18 by that time which would make him about 24. Look at the videos... 46 y.o. veteran or young guy ?
So yes... this guy (23 y.o. he says here)

NOT to be confused with Golden Sound or Golden Sound

EDIT: Goldenears was a typo.... goldenone at both websites.

Hoping to get back on topic again... Amir's follow up seems valid.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor

LOL you caused this confusion by tagging @goldenears

You should have tagged @GoldenOne

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...we-have-a-volunteer.23857/page-30#post-809330

While it made me chuckle, let's move on from this

sandymc

Each time SGD1 is powered on, WiFi will be turned on to detect and update the firmware. If there is any update, it will be upgraded. If there is no new firmware, WiFi will be turned off in a minute. The silent upgrade currently in use.

When SGD1 is powered on again, WiFi will be turned on for about one minute to check whether it is upgraded or not. It may take longer time to check overseas. I will communicate with my software engineer whether to extend the time when WiFi is turned on to ensure the stability of the upgrade.
In addition, I made a simple mobile phone hotspot upgrade video for your reference.

Sorry, but that is absolutely appallingly bad security. Yes, it's only a DAC, but even if the upgrade is secured via crypto keys, that is NOT the way to design a WIFI capable product.

Tks

Major Contributor
Ahh.. GoldenSound = Goldenone at SBAF = @Goldenears at ASR and on his GoldenSound YT channel.
All with the same logo and 'golden' and all author of the MQA article... what more proof do you need ?

I can lie about my age too or just fill in something if you don't want folks to know such info. I don't... almost 60 now.
He is 46 acc to ASR account. He is 41 acc. to SBAF account and he entered high school in 2015. In UK one is around 18 by that time which would make him about 24. Look at the videos... 46 y.o. veteran or young guy ?

That whole thing on SBAF true? He being banned and all? Kinda wack if true...

TK750

Ahh.. GoldenSound = Goldenone at SBAF = @Goldenears at ASR and on his GoldenSound YT channel.

Can't help but think you've really lost the plot here mate =S. Goldensound and Goldenone have always been the same person, don't think he's ever claimed otherwise, those are the two aliases he commonly uses. The point is nobody seems to get how you've come to the conclusion that 'Goldenears' is in any way related? He used to post here with the account 'Goldenone' and was banned...

1632136728013.png

I'm not sure what posting a fake age is supposed to expose? If anything I would say posting your real information on these sites is extremely unwise, I would expect the vast majority make up their details unless they are already in a public facing position i.e a manufacturer or researcher etc. But yes didn't mean to derail the thread, just found it all rather odd.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Can't help but think you've really lost the plot here mate =S. Goldensound and Goldenone have always been the same person, don't think he's ever claimed otherwise, those are the two aliases he commonly uses. The point is nobody seems to get how you've come to the conclusion that 'Goldenears' is in any way related? He used to post here with the account 'Goldenone' and was banned...

View attachment 154563

I'm not sure what posting a fake age is supposed to expose? If anything I would say posting your real information on these sites is extremely unwise, I would expect the vast majority make up their details unless they are already in a public facing position i.e a manufacturer or researcher etc. But yes didn't mean to derail the thread, just found it all rather odd.

He tagged the wrong Golden, simple mistake.

Goldenears is a real middle aged (lol) man that joined the forum before GoldenSound - Goldenears is an innocent bystander here

GoldenOne is the young lad that has been banned here - he doesn't hide that fact he is young either, if you watch his YouTube videos

solderdude

Grand Contributor

View attachment 154563

Goldenears is a now abandoned headphone measuring website.
And also someone is a member here (who probably is 46) and does not use that logo (goldenone here too)... my bad.

I see my typo now.. sorry for that confusion.
Used the search function for 'Golden' and Goldenears popped up and not Goldenone (as he was banned) so tagged the wrong 'golden'.
Goldenears just rang a bell..
I was a big fan of that site. Was sad to see it go.

I'm not sure what posting a fake age is supposed to expose? If anything I would say posting your real information on these sites is extremely unwise
I agree, yet at SBAF he claims he is 41 !
GS.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom