• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Resolving Browsing Problems with FireFox

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The latest version of FireFox with DuckDuckGo has a bug when browsing certain pages here. It will error out with redirection message. Fortunately there is a quick fix. While browsing our forum, simply pull up the options and disable "Site Privacy Protection."

index.php

Please report the problem to DuckDuckGo. They need to investigate why this is happening as it is random and at their end. If they respond and say the problem is ours, please let me know.

AudiOhm

Lucky for me I have never used "DuckDuckGo".

Ohms

chuckt62

Editor
Reactions: EJ3

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And Brave browser
Yes, Brave Browser is very good and my alternate to Firefox. Chrome based so it doesn't break websites, but some privacy controls so it isn't built to suck up all your information.

Yasuo

Reported, I'm using FF and this started happening a couple of months ago.

On pages with problems if I open them in a new private window, they work just fine (but obviously I'm not logged in) while having all the extensions enabled.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

odarg64

Weird. I use abrowser, a rebranded version of Firefox included with some GNU/Linux distributions, with strict privacy protections enabled, along with DuckDuckGo. Latest version. No issues on ASR or elsewhere.

AurekV

To clarify to anyone reading because I found the original post a bit confusing in its wording:
The problem is not with Firefox (I'm using it just fine). It is with the "DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials" extension on Firefox. I don't use the extension but I imagine that since extensions work similarly and use shared codebases between Chromium based browsers (like Chrome) and Gecko based browsers (like Firefox) the same problem may happen with DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials on Chrome as well.

I don't know what blocklists they are using but it could be a problem caused by one of those. Of course it is still DuckDuckGo's problem to fix that upstream as it wouldn't be apparent to any typical user where the blocks what the source of the blocking is when using their extension.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
I don't see this issue on Mac, running the latest OS and latest version of Firefox and DuckDuckGo extension installed. Will test Windows tomorrow.

martijn86

Just to let you know. I'm using a Privacy hardened browser based on Firefox. It is called Mull (or Mulch if I need something Chromium based and Librefox on Desktop). I run my own DNS over TLS server with privacy and security focused blacklists. If there was any reason for concern using ASR, I would likely run into a block. So to reconfirm, this strongly suggests a bug or false positive at DDG's privacy extension. If you enable Firefox's own tracking protection, there should be no reason to be concerned when visiting ASR.

Last edited:

kzar

Dave from DuckDuckGo here. We'd like to fix this for you but we can't reproduce the problem.

Is there any chance you could provide us with some concrete steps to follow in order to trigger the problem? Also, please could you let us know the version of your Operating System, Firefox and the DuckDuckGo extension you've got installed? Finally, please could you confirm if you have any other browser extensions installed, and if so which ones?

Thanks for the help!

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dave from DuckDuckGo here. We'd like to fix this for you but we can't reproduce the problem.

Is there any chance you could provide us with some concrete steps to follow in order to trigger the problem? Also, please could you let us know the version of your Operating System, Firefox and the DuckDuckGo extension you've got installed? Finally, please could you confirm if you have any other browser extensions installed, and if so which ones?

Thanks for the help!

Nothing to add about the problem - just want to say it’s very cool that you joined the forum to help troubleshoot. Thanks!

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am confused. Why aren't there any measurements?

I want to know the Firefox SINAD!

formdissolve

Forum Donor

Thanks for the help!
1) I tested this on the latest version of Mac OS Monterey (M1 chip), clean FF install with DDG as the only extension.. couldn't reproduce the issue on any page on the site.
2) Also reviewed latest FF version on Windows 10 (whatever the latest updated is), with DDG extension and no issue. Added HTTPS Everywhere and uBlockorigin to the mix (all three running) and no issue.
3) I'd try it on Browserstack but not sure I can install extensions there :D

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Thanks for the help!
Firefox: 103.0.2 (same on 104)
DuckDuckGo: 2022.8.9
The result is "The page isn’t redirecting properly" page. In the console I see 7 requests getting "301 Moved Permanently" response:
ddg1.png
Code:
GET /forum/index.php?forums/amplifiers-phono-preamp-and-analog-audio-review.13/ HTTP/3
Host: audiosciencereview.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:103.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/103.0
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/avif,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br
Alt-Used: audiosciencereview.com
Connection: keep-alive
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
Sec-Fetch-Dest: document
Sec-Fetch-Mode: navigate
Sec-Fetch-Site: none
Sec-Fetch-User: ?1
Sec-GPC: 1

HTTP/3 301 Moved Permanently
date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 19:20:13 GMT
content-type: text/html
location: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/amplifiers-phono-preamp-and-analog-audio-review.13/
x-powered-by: centminmod
strict-transport-security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains; preload
cf-cache-status: DYNAMIC
expect-ct: max-age=604800, report-uri="https://report-uri.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/beacon/expect-ct"
report-to: {"endpoints":[{"url":"https:\/\/a.nel.cloudflare.com\/report\/v3?s=MRW55maLFM3xB3SMMqhu4b7FwAjFCRPAvBRWvLM8dkEgc30dKGbeSZFx0AGszsYOh1adclzHmJTOHEXCF%2BF75SsPgN4bfEhdyEQetUPK9PDCWC6o6KM4T5gmYxx3HsaNlyJU1nvktAT8"}],"group":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
nel: {"success_fraction":0,"report_to":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
server: cloudflare
cf-ray: 73fe71aa8dde1e5d-MUC
alt-svc: h3=":443"; ma=86400, h3-29=":443"; ma=86400
and then the error:
ddg2.png
Code:
GET /forum/index.php?forums/amplifiers-phono-preamp-and-analog-audio-review.13/ undefined
Host: audiosciencereview.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:103.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/103.0
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/avif,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
Alt-Used: audiosciencereview.com

EDIT: Ooh, and then when I disable "Site Privacy Protection", I get an empty request and a successful HTTP/1.1 request, when before it was HTTP/3:
ddg3.png
Code:
GET /forum/index.php?forums/amplifiers-phono-preamp-and-analog-audio-review.13/ HTTP/1.1
Host: www.audiosciencereview.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:104.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/104.0
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
Sec-Fetch-Dest: document
Sec-Fetch-Mode: navigate
Sec-Fetch-Site: cross-site
Cookie: xf_csrf=XEogDYCEsTwjhXIC

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 19:45:09 GMT
content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
x-frame-options: SAMEORIGIN
x-content-type-options: nosniff, nosniff
last-modified: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 19:45:09 GMT
expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
cache-control: private, no-cache, max-age=0
vary: Accept-Encoding
x-powered-by: centminmod
strict-transport-security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains; preload
x-xss-protection: 1; mode=block
cf-cache-status: DYNAMIC
expect-ct: max-age=604800, report-uri="https://report-uri.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/beacon/expect-ct"
report-to: {"endpoints":[{"url":"https:\/\/a.nel.cloudflare.com\/report\/v3?s=aqH6s%2BSso0j65GkTh8%2BukpK1WiPXMWGVOn8zQT4t2xgipYvdNqB%2BGCJ6lp9eV8PFOYZyuXgil1PvKqSd%2FEfZFqZQhjcyN%2Bs8TGY8C1ZiaDspEJ1kyv1nhHj25DoMjr%2BqbE9yCQHCcBq3Tw%2FaVA%3D%3D"}],"group":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
nel: {"success_fraction":0,"report_to":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
server: cloudflare
cf-ray: 73fe96314dba0dfe-MXP
content-encoding: br
alt-svc: h3=":443"; ma=86400, h3-29=":443"; ma=86400
X-Firefox-Http3: h3

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I’ve had to turn off my DDG privacy essentials on this site, due to the re-direct problem with ASR.
Will try to reproduce the issue this morning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom