• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Requesting: Yamaha NS10M speaker(s) to test/review. :)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Any of you folks happen to have a pair (or even a single) Yamaha NS-10M speaker you'd be willing to loan me? I'd take the original or the "Studio" version (pictured below). Given its incredible history in the world of music production, I think this would be an interesting speaker to put on the Klippel to see what the measurements look like.

Obviously condition would need to be good; the better, the better. If you do, please let me know how to reach you and we will go from there.

Thanks, Erin

Edit: Yes, I've seen the on-axis response. But we all know on-axis is only part of the story. ;)

yamaha.png

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I recommend this interesting paper concerning these: The Yamaha NS10M: Twenty Years a Reference Monitor: Why?
6. SUMMARY

From the investigations presented, and from experiences in the use of the NS10M, it would appear that
the following statements can be made.
• The free-field frequency response of the NS10M gives rise to a response in typical use which
has been recognised by many recording personnel as being what they need for pop / rock
music mixing. The principal characteristics are the raised mid-range, the gentle top-end roll-
off, and the very fast low-frequency decay; the latter is aided by the 12dB / octave roll-off of
the sealed-box cabinet.
• The time response exhibits a better than average step function response, which implies good
reproduction of transients. Many people speak of the "rock and roll punch" of the NS10M.
• The distortion characteristics are also better than average for a loudspeaker of such size.
• The output SPL is adequate for close-field studio monitoring with adequate reliability.
• In many of these characteristics, the NS10M mimics the response of many good larger
monitor systems in well-controlled rooms. They are hence recognisable to many recording
personnel in terms of their overall response.
• They are tools to achieve a well-balanced mix. It is notable how many of the people who use
them in studios do not use them for home listening.
It also contains distortion, on-axis frequency response and step response measurements for 36 monitors (brands: Acoustic Energy, ADAM, Alesis, Apogee, ATC, AVI, Auratone, Behringer, DAS, FAR, Fostex, Hafler, HHb, JBL, K&H, KRK, KSDigital, Mackie, Meyer, M&K, PMC, Quested, Roister, Roland, SLS, Spendor, Studer, Tannoy, Westlake).

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way the story of the NS-10 and some measurements are written in detail in the current (3rd) edition of Toole's book, it's problem was it voiced by its engineer (who admitted it later to Toole) back then to a neutral sound power and thus linear frequency response at the listeners position and thus not linear direct sound. Interestingly he voiced also the great NS-1000(M) back then, but because of the 3 ways and thus smoother directivity it wasn't such a problem when tuned to constant sound power and with its mid and treble knobs it was easy to tune it also to linear direct sound.

More about it here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-s...eaker-what-science-shows-50.html#post57581084

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Attached are scans of my original 1978 brochure for the NS-10M.

ns10mP1.jpg

Attachments

• ns10mp1.pdf
    241.4 KB · Views: 321
  • ns10mp2.pdf
    301 KB · Views: 271
  • ns10mp3.pdf
    295.1 KB · Views: 217
  • ns10mp4.pdf
    307.5 KB · Views: 296

nahuel

It would be fun to test similar mixing speakers like mixcubes. I have one and find it useful to clear up a mix, and i believe ns10s are used in the same way. It would be good to know from other closed speakers that have that hi mid bump.

Hope you get them tested soon!

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I recommend this interesting paper concerning these: The Yamaha NS10M: Twenty Years a Reference Monitor: Why?

It also contains distortion, on-axis frequency response and step response measurements for 36 monitors (brands: Acoustic Energy, ADAM, Alesis, Apogee, ATC, AVI, Auratone, Behringer, DAS, FAR, Fostex, Hafler, HHb, JBL, K&H, KRK, KSDigital, Mackie, Meyer, M&K, PMC, Quested, Roister, Roland, SLS, Spendor, Studer, Tannoy, Westlake).

the waterfall is very impressive. you can imagine how this leads to better translation, since EQing resonances which seam to be in the material but are in reality in the speaker will lead to holes on other systems

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@hardisj try to get some Avaton CLA-10 if you can for the compression as NS10 will already be old and less bright than when they ware new.

Best regards.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Also the Yamaha NS-615 is the same speaker, but older. since the NS-10 has a huge demand the NS-615 might be easier/cheaper to find

hex168

This may interest you:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It greatly pains me to see that hair at the center of the speaker.
I'm not sure whether it is just random or you did it to troll sensitive people like me.

It was probably on the scanner glass when I originally scanned it.

Top Bottom