• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Requesting suggestions on Subwoofer for KH 80 DSP

matt3421

I just got a pair of the Neumann KH 80 DSP speakers and would like some more bass with them. I'm using them with the JDS Atom's RCA preouts and the OL DAC with optical input from my desktop PC. would something like this work well?

https://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB1200DPRO

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I just got a pair of the Neumann KH 80 DSP speakers and would like some more bass with them. I'm using them with the JDS Atom's RCA preouts and the OL DAC with optical input from my desktop PC. would something like this work well?

https://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB1200DPRO

"Frequency Range: 45Hz-180Hz (-10dB)"

Nope.

I would rather have something that goes down to at least 20Hz (-3db)

I wouldn't cheap out on the sub.

*Maybe save a some money and then get the matching KH750 DSP to pair. Frankly, I wouldn't get a sub without more detailed published specs and graphs -- on the same level found with the KH80.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think that sub is ideal for KH 80. I think you should look at "home" subwoofers. Studio models seem overpriced for the performance they offer. Home subwoofers seem to be less expensive and better finished. Unlike a monitor, a subwoofer is a simple device. I also recommend an external controller to handle bass management.

For reference, the desktop system into which I will plug my KH 80 DSP - once the standby issue in one of them gets resolved; the replacement had the same issue as the one I sent in, alas - uses two Triad "in wall" subs with 10" Peerless drive units, powered by a 2-channel D-Sonic (Icepower) amp. The controller is a miniDSP DDRC-24, which allows separate gains, delays, and EQ for each sub prior to Dirac. The 2x4HD would work just as well, but I had the DDRC-24 on hand.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Nope.

*Maybe save a some money and then get the matching KH750 DSP to pair. Frankly, I wouldn't get a sub without more detailed published specs and graphs -- on the same level found with the KH80.

IIRC Floyd Toole says on this forum that two smaller subs tend to work better than one big expensive one. Which I was glad to read because I have two smaller subs. I guess using two subs helps address some room problems and uneven frequency response in the bass and sub-bass frequencies that may occur with only one sub.

OP
M

matt3421

Nope.

i saw that right after posting. i got the LSR310S instead for the time being. and maybe next year ill sell it and get something more substantial, but this one works great.

edit: also Kali is coming out with a $600 sub soon. looking forward to that as well

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
IIRC Floyd Toole says on this forum that two smaller subs tend to work better than one big expensive one. Which I was glad to read because I have two smaller subs. I guess using two subs helps address some room problems and uneven frequency response in the bass and sub-bass frequencies that may occur with only one sub.

That's the prevailing opinion. The sweet spot is potentially larger and it's easier to avoid bass localization.

Krunok

Major Contributor
That's the prevailing opinion. The sweet spot is potentially larger and it's easier to avoid bass localization.

Actually these are not the reasons for multiple subs - they energize the room more evenly from multiple spots so it is easier to get even (flatter) response.

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
i saw that right after posting. i got the LSR310S instead for the time being. and maybe next year ill sell it and get something more substantial, but this one works great.

edit: also Kali is coming out with a $600 sub soon. looking forward to that as well

yeah that sub had a advertised max SPL of 122 dB which makes more sense for pairing with some PA speakers — definitely not designed for home studios. While there are indeed cheaper options (even DIY) that could equal or rival the KH750 sub, I thought the idea behind getting the DSP version of Neumann monitors is because one would actually WANT to use it with their own native DSP app controller/solution.

Of course, that’s up to you. I myself use a combination of minDSP and JRiver for my own bass management and EQ needs. But I have the older KH120 with purely analog inputs.

jyro

Reviving this thread for my first post on here ! I'm on the cusp of purchasing the Neumann KH-80s and the research available on here has been a huge help. Based on everything I've read, I feel a sub is going to be essential for me but it increases the cost substantially if I go with the KH-750.
In the time since this thread when silent, has anyone had any experience with pairing a less expensive sub with the KH-80s ? Thanks !

OP
M

matt3421

I returned the LSR310S and got the HSU VTF-2 MK5 subwoofer. about $600 shipped and is flat down to 18hz. I use RCA split adapters to connect them.

OP
M

matt3421

also the Rythmik L12 for $560 shipped or the L12F for $600 shipped would be good options too

jyro

also the Rythmik L12 for $560 shipped or the L12F for $600 shipped would be good options too
Thanks - I should specific that I will be using them for composing/music production rather than general listening.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reviving this thread for my first post on here ! I'm on the cusp of purchasing the Neumann KH-80s and the research available on here has been a huge help. Based on everything I've read, I feel a sub is going to be essential for me but it increases the cost substantially if I go with the KH-750.
In the time since this thread when silent, has anyone had any experience with pairing a less expensive sub with the KH-80s ? Thanks !

You can pair pretty much any subwoofer with KH80, as long as it has fairly flat and smooth FR to at least 200Hz. That is because you will probably want a crossover in the 100-120Hz range.

I've used a number of subs with mine.

For a long time, including when I first added KH80, my desktop subs were a pair of Triad Bronze "in wall" subs on the floor under my desk. These are simple, thin closed boxes loaded with Peerless's XLS10 woofer. I used a separate processor (miniDSP balanced 2x4, then DDRC24) and amp (ICEpower 500ASP per channel, D-Sonic branded case). They were excellent. However, they had no grilles, and unfortunately one of our ferocious minilions decided to see how woofer surround rubber feels under claws.

I replaced them with a set of DIYish subwoofers using Dayton RSS265HF drivers in Velodyne SC-10 cabinets. Same processor and amp. These are similar in volume to the old subwoofers, and measured similarly. I decided to change things up when I stumbled onto a Vienna Acoustics Subson. The change was aesthetic more than performance. I really like the looks of that subwoofer. Subson is a closed box with Peerless XLS12 woofer (like SVS SB2000) so it is also a high performance subwoofer.

Currently in position, though not yet calibrated, are the Subson and a JL Audio E110. I may see if I can get away with only one of those, given that either is substantially more capable than my previous subs. Or not, given that I would have to move one and I'm using a 2-channel DAC for subs (miniDSP SHD Studio front end) anyway. We'll see if the JL is tricky to blend, given the relatively limited HF extension. My initial thoughts are to use the native rolloff to yield a net 5th order lowpass, as Andrew Jones recommends.

Related, I also decided to mount my KH80 on Neumann's LH65 stands. They are expensive but very well made, and in practice take up less desk space than my previous stands. Even the L-keys that come with them are German-made tools! With an adapter (K&M Stands 24352 Adapter Panel 1) these stands can also fit JBL 705i.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How do you high pass the monitors?
I believe the KH80 dsp app provides a low frequency cutoff at 80/100hz. this in combination with the high pass filter on the sub could work.

a better approach maybe to use the minidsp and use that to provide an active xover

Vintage57

Forum Donor
If it were me I would only go to the KH750 DSP, they were designed and built to work together and there is reliable data on the outcome.

Top Bottom