• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Requesting Balanced Headphone Stack Ideas: Schiit Modius/Magnius stack backorder pushed to April 22nd :(

devopsprodude

For whatever reason, Schiit keeps pushing back the ship by date on the Modius/Magnius stack that I ordered almost a month ago.

I don't want to wait another month.

What other fully balanced DAC/amp stacks are available for around $400?

I already have balanced interconnects for separates, and balanced headphone cable for the Sundara cans, so would really prefer to stick with a fully balanced solution, preferably separate DAC and amp.

Thanks

OP
D

devopsprodude

I think my solution is to buy the $200 Heresy/Modi 3+ stack while I wait. There's not really anything else at the $400 price point that compares to Modius/Magnius stack. I would have to spend twice as much for something like Gustard X16 or SMSL SU-9 and Topping A90 combo for a fully balanced stack that compares well to the Schiit stack.

And I can use the Heresy/Modi 3+ stack with my AKG K712 headphones, long term. Or sell the Modi 3+ to a friend and use the Heresy and Magnius with the Modius when it arrives.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who do they think they are? Drop? :cool:
Fully Balanced, around $400 - only other option are the iFi Zen stacks.

OP
D

devopsprodude

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use one with an A90, Wolf measured one, it's great value for a balanced DAC with remote, digital display, and small footprint. It uses an AK4497 and Wolf's measurements showed a SINAD of 118 db, which puts it into the top 10 of all measured DACs.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If they are out of AKM chips, I wonder how they'll handle these back-orders, really.
They already have a ++ edition ready to go.

I'd get a Jot 2 with a dac inside. $500 but you can use it in your car.

Last edited:

CxoD

I'm in need to buy something as my first setup with a DAC/AMP.
Was looking at Schiit... the Modius and Maginus combo.

Now I'm lost since everything is on backorder at Schiit in US and theres like nothing to buy in Sweden.
Some few stores in EU have topping and so forth but the prices are like 200 euro more in total.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in need to buy something as my first setup with a DAC/AMP.
Was looking at Schiit... the Modius and Maginus combo.

Now I'm lost since everything is on backorder at Schiit in US and theres like nothing to buy in Sweden.
Some few stores in EU have topping and so forth but the prices are like 200 euro more in total.
Start a new thread in the recommendations section

OP
D

devopsprodude

I ended up hitting "eff it" and ordered Gustard X16 and Topping A90 from ShenzhenAudio after cancelling my Schiit order.

If anyone cares. :D

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ended up hitting "eff it" and ordered Gustard X16 and Topping A90 from ShenzhenAudio after cancelling my Schiit order.

I can't speak to the Gustard, but you are going to love the A90. Congrats on the purchase!

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Really? Any info on that :)?
Jason said they have new designs all worked up with new chips on all the AKM based DACs. They have a lot of AKM stock as well, but no one knows when it'll be back online, and Schiit has many products with those chips.

Getting that ready is one of many things causing a Schiit storm, but they're shipping should clean up now that the Texas 'plant' is open. I am very much looking forward to their Sol turntable coming back online. I blew it off when it came out because I didn't want to get into vinyl but when my living situation changed, dear God is that thing a great value. We'll see how it performs but the design is everything you would expect for over 2-3x the price. Really here it is true: adjustable vta, 11" carbon fiber tone arm, motor off the main unit. We'll see about execution though.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor

The topping is pretty, I have to admit. I like the fancy finishes. Whereas Schiit just looks like, well, Schiit really. At least it's funcational.

OP
D

devopsprodude

The topping is pretty, I have to admit. I like the fancy finishes. Whereas Schiit just looks like, well, Schiit really. At least it's funcational.
Yeah, I liked the idea of supporting a smaller California company and their Modi 3+/Heresy and Modius/Magnius stacks are hard to beat at their respective price points, but I decided to go with a no compromises (other than Chinese made, not that high quality products don't come from there, but Chinese made products so dominate the consumer electronics industry that I feel better supporting stuff made elsewhere, when possible), real end game solution that supports pretty much any format I'm likely to use in the next decade and will drive nearly ANY headphones on the market and do so well.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Yeah, I liked the idea of supporting a smaller California company and their Modi 3+/Heresy and Modius/Magnius stacks are hard to beat at their respective price points, but I decided to go with a no compromises (other than Chinese made, not that high quality products don't come from there, but Chinese made products so dominate the consumer electronics industry that I feel better supporting stuff made elsewhere, when possible), real end game solution that supports pretty much any format I'm likely to use in the next decade and will drive nearly ANY headphones on the market and do so well.
I'm sure either choice is a fine one. It doesn't help American commerce to be on a waiting list. I have everything I need so I can wait (and I do) if I am waiting for a purchase. I make sure now all my discretionary purchases are American products by small companies when possible. But it's not hard and fast. Small companies overseas are more likely to get my business than a big American corporation.

Top Bottom