• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Request to measure iphone dac and headphone amp

P_M

It would be great to see how the iphone dac and headphone amp (dongle) perform. I suppose one could copy test files (16bit 44.1khz) to the iphone and play them back to test THD, IMD of just the DAC , and then power also for the headphone amp.
It would also be great to see how the digital out looks like as iphone is used as a media player to connect to an outboard dac.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
P_M

P_M

I don’t think it’s the same. The one measured is USB to headphone. I am referring to the lightning to headphone that comes with the phone.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I don’t think it’s the same. The one measured is USB to headphone. I am referring to the lightning to headphone that comes with the phone.
It's the same 9$ dongle!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

I published some measurements in AudioXpress for the Lighning to headphone version. It's pretty similar (i.e., excellent performance within its power limits) to the USB version.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@SIY's measurements are in the database as well. Just look up his name.

OP
P_M

P_M

I found one post by SIY with 32 tone test, but not a complete test. I checked the database and I found the apple usb dongle but not lightning. But from what you are saying, if it was tested from an iphone then it sounds like the whole chain - digital out, dac and hp amp - all are performing very well.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I found one post by SIY with 32 tone test, but not a complete test. I checked the database and I found the apple usb dongle but not lightning. But from what you are saying, if it was tested from an iphone then it sounds like the whole chain - digital out, dac and hp amp - all are performing very well.

I was indeed tested with an iPhone- that's the only way I have to drive a Lightning dongle. The multitone is the roughest test I could throw at it. Single tone HD was better than -100dB, dominated by 2nd order.

Reactions: P_M
Top Bottom