• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Request for wiring advice

catalogguy

Forum Donor
I am attempting to build a device that will power on my 2 channel amplifier by the 12v trigger input when I use a universal remote. I have purchased a device that includes the relay, 12v power adapter and remote. I need to connect the 3.5 mm plug to the device. Does anyone recommend how to do it? Cut off the plug and solder? Or maybe try to solder the leads onto the pins shown in the photo?

trigger 1.jpg
trigger 2.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Lighten-Glim...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe somebody more clever will give a better answer, but I'd say soldering the wire to the pins is the way to go. I wouldn't cut-off the plug. You could do it that way, but I wouldn't.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Either just solder the wires to the pins, or pick up crimp-on connectors that will slide on to the pins. I'd probably solder since I don't have crimp pins on hand, but make sure you use a heat clamp or solder quickly to avoid melting the plastic holding the header pins together (don't ask how I know this). You should also add heat shrink tube or just wrap the pins with electrical tape to prevent shorts, then wrap the whole thing for protection.

You can buy packages of crimp pins on Amazon or from any electrical supply distributor (DigiKey etc.) Scroll down a little on this page to see what I mean: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=0.1+inch+female+crimp+pins&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss

HTH - Don

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will the tinned wires go straight into the socket? I've put tinned leads into spring receptacles plenty of times.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Recommend fewest connections and soldering together. While I get hesitation to cut off the connector, it looks like it just adds more work…

If you lop off the connector, would use some shrink wrap to insulate the individual wires after soldering and another thicker piece of shrink wrap to cover over the bare wires. Hope this helps. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
This is just carrying a DC voltage.

Nothing critical about it other than a stable connection.

Solder the wire to the adapter, stick the adapter into the plug, put a wrap of tape or shrink wrap around it, and forget it.

OP
catalogguy

catalogguy

Forum Donor
This is a success! I directly inserted the wires and taped it up. I added the device to the Harmony universal remote and now the amp powers on and off with the streamer, etc. Thanks so much for all the help.
trigger 3.jpg
trigger 4.jpg
trigger 5.jpg

Jcray

Old post… but I have been looking for weeks for a remote 12v trigger solution. Finally gave up as all I could find was some solutions mainly for projectors, more expensive than I was going to spend for this. I was going to just rob from an extra HDMI cable that ran between rooms, was literally looking at HDMI pinouts and saw the picture for this post. The remote RGB light strip adapter is a great solution! I have like 3 of these in the garage. Going to wire it up tomorrow night!

Thanks for this!!!

Top Bottom