• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Request for reviewing DAC (cheap balanced 9038 pro dac)

mahirzukic2

I didn't know where else to put this thread, so here goes.
I would like to ask you Amir to test this DAC here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-ES903...m=113145999402&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

It seems to be a balanced DAC with ESS 9038 Pro chip with USB, coax and optical inputs. Seeing all those additional components regarding the power supply and regulation, it seems it could be nice.
Now what is left and is needed, are the pro measurements from the likes of Amir. :D

MrSlim

He's asking for a balanced DAC, which the M3 isn't.. Maybe you meant the SU-8?

Mind you, the SU-8 is using dual 9038Q2Ms which are the mobile version, rather than the 9038 Pro. The 9038Q2M chips are about 1/5th the cost of the Pro, so there's more room to add value in the design.

Give that the Pro board mentioned would need casing, and a decent power supply, the cost would easily double before you have a finished "room ready" device. There is a very long thread about the cheap 9038Q2M boards on DIY Audio about modding them to a pretty high standard. But again, you might end up paying just as much as the SU-8 before you get to the same performance level (or more)

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would like to ask you Amir to test this DAC here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-ES903...m=113145999402&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

It seems to be a balanced DAC with ESS 9038 Pro chip with USB, coax and optical inputs. Seeing all those additional components regarding the power supply and regulation, it seems it could be nice.
With USB input, it is essentially the same price as SMSL SU-8 which comes with a case, remote control, etc. I am confident this ebay unit will measure poorly. If someone disagrees, they should buy and send it to me. :)

OP
mahirzukic2

mahirzukic2

With USB input, it is essentially the same price as SMSL SU-8 which comes with a case, remote control, etc. I am confident this ebay unit will measure poorly. If someone disagrees, they should buy and send it to me. :)
Now you (with a lot of experience) have cleared a doubt I had in my mind. Thanks for that.

Top Bottom