• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Report of the Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Wombat

Master Contributor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the cycle of life on Earth I sometimes reflect on how much longer homo sapiens has left here. Most species go extinct eventually and I wonder whether we will be the instruments of our own extinction, a nice irony, due to climate or war.
At least we will leave a lot of debris for the archaeologists of the next dominant species to evolve here to study :)

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Nuclear deterrence still applies to EMP. It’s very unlikely a N. Korean EMP attack (never tested) would successfully disable all US capability to respond with sufficient force to totally wipe that nation from history. Russia or China would never take half measures like EMP against the US. Why would they? Why wouldn’t they simply use proven weapons of totally destruction?

This paper looks like it was underwritten by a think tank looking for a government contract for Defense industry.

Having said that, I think the defense budget should be more wisely allocated and fortifying the electrical grid should be done.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
' Soft war' is happening. Investing into countries to buy obligation(debt, if nothing else), cyber warfare, manipulation of national discourse, economic pressure, etc.

The old US military thinking is pretty much redundant since the collapse of the USSR. There are other ways to skin a cat than to have more, better and bigger conventional weapons. Diplomacy is more essential than ever. Sorry, Fake News. Continue to swagger, D.T.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The current interdependence between the World economies makes going to the extreme of obliterating the "enemy", improbable.. Politicians mired in the olds ways of saber rattling fail to recognize the changing landscape, where and how the wars are been fought. It may cost them and their countries dearly.
Like DallasJustice, I do believe that this US of A ( and other large economies) must find ways to make their electric power infrastructure more robust on the cybernetics front.

Last edited:
Top Bottom