• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing THX 789 + Soncoz (Balanced) with Motu M4

Damian

Hello guys,

I've been comparing this combo today, I want to simplify my desktop so I'm planning to keep only my Motu M4. The headphone volume knob at 2 PM seems to do the trick for my HD6XX and LCD2 Closed... previously with my Focusrite 2i2 the headphone output was not enough.

On a TOTALLY SUBJETIVE note, I tried back and forth between on various songs and I cannot feel much of a difference, I did notice difference from other amps/dacs going to the balanced combo.. but not this time. My source is Spotify Premium which I'm happy with.

Am I missing something? Someone maybe can educate me a bit in terms of what songs and areas to pay attention to in order to notice a difference?

Otherwise what's your opinion on keeping only the Motu M4? I don't think I have another use at the moment for the combo as I have a pair of Edifier S3000 PRO connected to my TV using optic as they have their own DAC/Amp internally.

Cheers!

Update: I do notice the difference now after some more extensive testing. Namely, clarity and separation if I can describe it in a way. If someone can affirm this from Amir measurements? I'm not that good at interpreting the data.

Last edited:

Carlo2AC

What was your final decision? are you sure the difference was not placebo?

i am also looking to simplify my setup

OP
D

Damian

What was your final decision? are you sure the difference was not placebo?

i am also looking to simplify my setup

Was definitely not, I've tried in different days and with another person that noticed the same as well. The point is I don't think you can get better than the Soncoz + 789, they are connected in balanced as well. There is a clarity to the combo that's not in the M4, I do understand the difference is in the amps and not in the DAC. I didn't go through the hassle of testing this theory, but is what I feel and what the measurements of Amir confirm if you compare M4 vs 789.

With the Focusrite 2i2, it was much more apparent that the headphone amp section was the most limiting of all (trouble getting proper volume)..

That said, MAYBE if I had the M4 first I would be ok with it. Also, if your headphones are quite efficient you might not have a problem with it, I use mainly an Audeze LCD 2 Closed as my main headphone and I do notice the difference.

Top Bottom