• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

replacing Receivers for old farts

OP
W

weesocks

Here's one, $350 but pickup only, so depends on where @weesocks is located if interested in same;

JSmith
Thanks, but that would be a hell of a puck, I live in Toronto and currently out of the country.
thanks though.

OP
W

weesocks

thanks, our canuck dollar is in the toilet, so I am more conscious of pricing, especially if you add taxes and shipping.
I am pretty sure that I can come up with a good product that will do me for less. I have been getting some great pointers on here.
So far it looks like I will explore further some Sony and Yamaha suggestions. They are well within my budget, which is around 500 canadian.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nobody has recommended a used Yamaha R-S700 and CD-S300 CD-Player?
What is wrong with you?

Pros:
  • Cheap if bought used (used maybe 400€ in Germany)
  • Should be stable and good for years to come
  • Should be easily available on all kinds of platforms
  • Modern electronics
  • Cool design
  • Good power and fidelity
  • Subwoofer output
  • pre-out/main-in loop in case an equalizer is needed at some point
  • record select, if you get in the mood for tapes or minidisk
  • the remote can learn TV or other components commands
  • This is the Yuropoor model, US models have Sirius radio and second Zone support i think, neither is a thing here.
Also available in black, in case you have bad taste. :)

PXL_20220405_151923544.jpg

The remote:
PXL_20220405_152232826.jpg

The backside:
PXL_20220405_152623710.jpg

Erici

Forum Donor
Something like this on Craigslist would be perfect. There are lots of other options on Craigslist too.....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Something like this on Craigslist would be perfect. There are lots of other options on Craigslist too.....
Yes, that appears to be a nice unit. $180 Canadian dollars. dated to 2006 @ HiFiEngine. There is a service manual at HiFi Engine too.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
W

weesocks

Nobody has recommended a used Yamaha R-S700 and CD-S300 CD-Player?
What is wrong with you?

Pros:
  • Cheap if bought used (used maybe 400€ in Germany)
  • Should be stable and good for years to come
  • Should be easily available on all kinds of platforms
  • Modern electronics
  • Cool design
  • Good power and fidelity
  • Subwoofer output
  • pre-out/main-in loop in case an equalizer is needed at some point
  • record select, if you get in the mood for tapes or minidisk
  • the remote can learn TV or other components commands
  • This is the Yuropoor model, US models have Sirius radio and second Zone support i think, neither is a thing here.
Also available in black, in case you have bad taste. :)

View attachment 255458

The remote:
View attachment 255462

The backside:
View attachment 255463
that looks pretty cool. "Made in Malaysia" that's something I didn't know.
Anyway. I have been given Yamaha Models. Sony, Onkyo and all choices I am looking at. Prefer new. not a big fan of used or even refurbished
unless it's a real bargain and a "Rolls Royce" choice.

OP
W

weesocks

Streaming through active speakers is not the only way to go hi-fi, no matter one's age.
Not sure why I am destined to low Fi..whatever that means. and speakers are not an issue. looking for a receiver with hopefully a sub-woofer port.
The destiny part is all about choice with the great suggestions I have gotten on here. cheers

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure why I am destined to low Fi..whatever that means. and speakers are not an issue. looking for a receiver with hopefully a sub-woofer port.
The destiny part is all about choice with the great suggestions I have gotten on here. cheers
Since you are familiar with streaming, I really do suggest you go the active speaker route and skip the receiver. The only reason to have a receiver is for FM, which sounds terrible compared to streaming.

A big plus: You can get essentially every radio station on the planet via streaming.

Plus, active speakers will sound far better than whatever you can buy for the price of a mediocre receiver + 1/2 decent passive speakers. There are several good options reviewed here on ASR.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I checked for the yamaha and it appears out of stock currently unavailable.
Why didn't you say that you were a CHEAP old geezer? I'd adjusted my recomendations :)

or

or a Marantz

or blow your CPP cheque on this

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
that looks pretty cool. "Made in Malaysia" that's something I didn't know.
Anyway. I have been given Yamaha Models. Sony, Onkyo and all choices I am looking at. Prefer new. not a big fan of used or even refurbished
unless it's a real bargain and a "Rolls Royce" choice.

IIRC Malaysia plant is the major one for receivers. Your budget is on the low side. New at your price point is fairly limited (mostly just a lack of products/demand I think), but maybe something like this would suffice https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
W

weesocks

Since you are familiar with streaming, I really do suggest you go the active speaker route and skip the receiver. The only reason to have a receiver is for FM, which sounds terrible compared to streaming.

A big plus: You can get essentially every radio station on the planet via streaming.

Plus, active speakers will sound far better than whatever you can buy for the price of a mediocre receiver + 1/2 decent passive speakers. There are several good options reviewed here on ASR.

OP
W

weesocks

I get it thanks. Maybe its just that i am a stubborn old fart trying to hang on to enjoyable days gone by. I was looking to replace an existing speaker, no choice as its gone to Audio heaven. I just would like to turn on my receiver and slip in a CD to the player sit down with a good malt and listen through an excellent pair of passive speakers and my sub-woofer before I am occasionally interrupted by Grand kids lovingly intruding to play some RAP music, which I can stream from another room.

OP
W

weesocks

I get it thanks. Maybe its just that i am a stubborn old fart trying to hang on to enjoyable days gone by. I was looking to replace an existing receiver, no choice as its gone to Audio heaven. I just would like to turn on my receiver and slip in a CD to the player sit down with a good malt and listen through an excellent pair of passive speakers and my sub-woofer before I am occasionally interrupted by Grand kids lovingly intruding to play some RAP music, which I can stream from another room.

OP
W

weesocks

IIRC Malaysia plant is the major one for receivers. Your budget is on the low side. New at your price point is fairly limited (mostly just a lack of products/demand I think), but maybe something like this would suffice https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html
Why didn't you say that you were a CHEAP old geezer? I'd adjusted my recomendations :)

or

or a Marantz

or blow your CPP cheque on this

Top Bottom