• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing PMC db1i speakers for something more neutral(to play in ATMOS set up)

keenly

Since I bought a Marantz Marantz SR8012 AVR this year I have found the higher frequencies being more pronounced and even harsh.

I have read the reviews from hear and looked at the testing and noticed the testing shows what I am finally hearing. WIth my Marantz SR7010 it was much smoother, and SR7005 was even better. Marantz have got harsher as they have gone on, no more smooth, sweet, warmth.

£1000 per pair is budget.

Maybe I should replace AVR as welll? Denon the best ATMOS receiver?

pLudio

Forum Donor
How about EQ:ing your speakers excessive treble?

1209PMCfig4.jpg

https://www.stereophile.com/content/pmc-db1iii-loudspeaker-measurements

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That Marantz uses Audyssey MultEQ XT32. Why not use the app and calibration process to attenuate to your liking? That beast of an AVR should be perfectly capable of making everything sound just the way you want to. :)

OP
K

keenly

That Marantz uses Audyssey MultEQ XT32. Why not use the app and calibration process to attenuate to your liking? That beast of an AVR should be perfectly capable of making everything sound just the way you want to. :)
I thought the AVR tested negatively on here?
I just want a flat room so the music can speak for itself.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I thought the AVR tested negatively on here?
I just want a flat room so the music can speak for itself.
Flat room? No room is flat.

I'd start with equalizing the speakers, but if you really want new speakers Revel M106 or Kef R3 are good options for passives. I've had the Twenty.22 and those were pretty bad...

OP
K

keenly

Flat room? No room is flat.

I'd start with equalizing the speakers, but if you really want new speakers Revel M106 or Kef R3 are good options for passives. I've had the Twenty.22 and those were pretty bad...
Yeah no room is so at least have the speakers be close to it, hey?

I heard the twenty series, Thought they were harsh and sibilant.

I will try EQ as suggested. Inbuilt AVR one sufficient? Or should one use REW?

BTW; i hate aluminium tweeters.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

The low-end was also pretty garbage, if you run them loud the ports were puffing. Maybe that is a TL thing, but both my DIY monitors and M106's have no issues at the same SPL levels.

It has nothing to do with aluminium by the way.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Definitely take advantage of the Audyssey app to remove the sibilance before you buy new speakers. The AVR may test "negative" in terms of absolute signal and noise that may not be audible to you, but the Audyssey app affects what you actually hear - sibilance. If you are in the market for "smoother" speakers, I highly recommend the Elac Debut Reference as they are designed to be neutral. These speakers replaced my Revel M126Be - quite simply, I wasn't pushing the Revels to the volumes and with the sort of content that would show off their excellent engineering. If you want to start your audio journey "all over again", I suggest you start with the ELAC Debut Reference as an affordable baseline of what good speaker design should be for $1,000 or less (much of what you pay for as you get closer to $1,000 is cosmetic, like real wood veneers).

Screenshot 2021-03-16 080222.jpg

Top Bottom