• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing Creative G5

User420

Hi all,

So my Creative G5 headphone jacks are kinda cranky due to wear and tear over the years, probably a good time to replace it.

I need something external on the table mainly because of front panel output for my PC is noisy and convenient sake (Don't have to bend down all the time because my PC is on the floor).
Requirements are very basic for a small desktop setup as followed;
  1. Headphone out doesn't need to have high power output, I'm just using a cheap IEM and headphone - salsnote zero and custom pro one
  2. RCA or 3.5 Line out to connect to my amp - SMSL A300 for desktop speakers
  3. USB input source directly from the PC, USB powered would be a plus but not necessary
  4. Don't play FPS games anymore so all these fancy gaming software things are irrelevant now, mainly use it for music when working, and the occasional movie/ anime.
Should I be looking at something like fiio new K3/ topping dx1? The budget highest I would go for is around Zen DAC v2/ SMSL C200 price which is around 200usd converted, any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks

OP
U

User420

Schiit Fulla or Topping DX1 or FiiO K3
Thanks for the suggestion if the pricing for the dac/amps mentioned is 165 vs 105 vs 125 respectively (what I can find locally), which would be a better buy? I don't really know much when it comes to chipset etc big noob here :). The Schiit has a mic input which might come in handy in the future.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the suggestion if the pricing for the dac/amps mentioned is 165 vs 105 vs 125 respectively (what I can find locally), which would be a better buy? I don't really know much when it comes to chipset etc big noob here :). The Schiit has a mic input which might come in handy in the future.
All three would do the job, guess you need to pick whichever might work best for you.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Technically, you don't even need a combo DAC-HPA. You could also use a plain headphone amp with the rear panel output of your onboard sound. (I might unplug the HDA connector if you know that the front panel is problematic. Sometimes having a ground loop there can also negatively affect the back panel output.) A splitter cable may be necessary, but some of them also have preamp or loopthrough outputs.

Typical good budget HPAs include Topping L30 II, Schiit Magni Heretic (replacing the Heresy model), and JDS Labs Atom Amp+ - $149, $109 and $99, respectively.

In case you'd like separate output devices for headphones and speakers (e.g. for EQ and whatnot), perhaps the line-out jack on the G5 is still OK.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'd get the DX1. One advantage over using the onboard audio is better compatibility with Equalizer APO.
Though keep in mind that the DX1's RCA out is always on and is not affected by the volume knob on the front. Depending on your setup that might cause issues.

OP
U

User420

In case you'd like separate output devices for headphones and speakers (e.g. for EQ and whatnot), perhaps the line-out jack on the G5 is still OK.
Both the lineout on the rear and front headphones out on the G5 had issues for quite some time already, especially the front, gotta twist, turn, pull, and push a good few minutes for the "right spot". I've tried using onboard for a week, GB x370 Gaming 5 and MSI B660 Tomahawk, eventually I went back to G5, onboard just felt anemic for some reason.

I'd get the DX1. One advantage over using the onboard audio is better compatibility with Equalizer APO.
Though keep in mind that the DX1's RCA out is always on and is not affected by the volume knob on the front. Depending on your setup that might cause issues.
Probably leaning towards fiio K3s now, it can control the volume of the rear lineout with the knob from the official FAQ page.
I can't find any information on whether it mutes the rear line-out when the front headphones jack is connected though.

Do you have any idea if is there any idiot proof guide for using Equalizer APO on win 11?

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want something familiar, Creative has a factory renewed page with the Sound blaster G6 for $99 with shipping and 3 month warranty. In direct mode those sound really good.

OP
U

User420

If you want something familiar, Creative has a factory renewed page with the Sound blaster G6 for $99 with shipping and 3 month warranty. In direct mode those sound really good.
I might camp for a G6 sale locally, strangely the SG site doesn't have a refurbished page.
The G6 fits my needs and it's convenient to just plug in headphones and it will auto-mute the speakers.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I might camp for a G6 sale locally, strangely the SG site doesn't have a refurbished page.
The G6 fits my needs and it's convenient to just plug in headphones and it will auto-mute the speakers.
The page is at:

The AE-7 is even better with the control module if you have a PCI slot for it. It can go in the long or short PCIE ones. I see they're out of stock on the G6, but the G5 is really inexpensive. I've had the X3 and the volume wheel is really nice (direct mode only, the super FXI is just worthless).

OP
U

User420

The page is at:

The AE-7 is even better with the control module if you have a PCI slot for it. It can go in the long or short PCIE ones. I see they're out of stock on the G6, but the G5 is really inexpensive. I've had the X3 and the volume wheel is really nice (direct mode only, the super FXI is just worthless).
Thanks just going to camp for the time being and look out of any deals or bargains between the G6 and fiio k3, or whatever comes along.

Been using G5 for probably 4 or 5 years kinda want something different.

Do you still have the x3 or replaced it?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy and sell so it was a while back. They have the X4 refurb too and the prices there are so good that you could resell on eBay and break even after fees at least.
They have a new X1 which I got sent free from Creative to do reviews since it's new. I really do like it, 2.4volts and really compact. New they're $69 but it just comes with the C adapter so most people will need a c to a cable or adapter. Sounds terrific and works on Linux, Android, and Apple so it's handy.

OP
U

User420

I buy and sell so it was a while back. They have the X4 refurb too and the prices there are so good that you could resell on eBay and break even after fees at least.
They have a new X1 which I got sent free from Creative to do reviews since it's new. I really do like it, 2.4volts and really compact. New they're $69 but it just comes with the C adapter so most people will need a c to a cable or adapter. Sounds terrific and works on Linux, Android, and Apple so it's handy.
Maybe i should just get x1, connect it and smsl a300 directly to the pc via 2 separate usb cables, and just select the output on the fly using the pc. Seem like a cheap (but jank) solution

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe i should just get x1, connect it and smsl a300 directly to the pc via 2 separate usb cables, and just select the output on the fly using the pc. Seem like a cheap (but jank) solution
I did that and it works great. The X1 detects ohm resistance, so when it's hooked to an amp it goes to 2.4volts. I used a USB C to A cable and then 3.5mm to 2xRCA and tried with several amps. If all you need is that for connecting it's great, just won't replace a full DAC with lots of connectivity.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
You could take a crack at repairing the headphone jacks. Not sure how easy it is to access the internals of the G5, but maybe a headphone jack cleaning with a qtip and some rubbing alcohol along with trying to slightly bend the contacts back into place might give you some additional time.

OP
U

User420

You could take a crack at repairing the headphone jacks. Not sure how easy it is to access the internals of the G5, but maybe a headphone jack cleaning with a qtip and some rubbing alcohol along with trying to slightly bend the contacts back into place might give you some additional time.
Seem to be quite easy once the bottom rubber pad is peeled off. Worth a try, if I can't fix it I'm going to need to get a replacement anyway.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
From the description, it sounds like the hot end of the soldering iron may well be needed instead of just some contact cleaner. It's an absolute classic on portable gear with 3.5 mm jacks. The jacks themselves tend to be robust enough, but the solder joints don't hold up well to abuse (even less so in this lead-free day and age). Luckily, this is generally fixable, although there is a certain risk that pads may have come off. You may find that solder has been applied rather sparingly, in which case redoing the joints properly may well fix the issue for life.

OP
U

User420

From the description, it sounds like the hot end of the soldering iron may well be needed instead of just some contact cleaner. It's an absolute classic on portable gear with 3.5 mm jacks. The jacks themselves tend to be robust enough, but the solder joints don't hold up well to abuse (even less so in this lead-free day and age). Luckily, this is generally fixable, although there is a certain risk that pads may have come off. You may find that solder has been applied rather sparingly, in which case redoing the joints properly may well fix the issue for life.
Well I gave up once I rounded 2/4 of the triangle screws with my torx. They absolutely doesn't want me to open it up lol....

Thanks for sharing though, would be useful next time to fix my other portable gears' 3.5mm jacks.

Top Bottom