• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing a tired Marantz CD6000OSE

Rasymar

Yes, indeed the CD84 does not have a digital output. And also unfortunately the analog audio output is also in trouble (does not output audio).
That's why I want to modify how the RF output with the addition of certain tools can output analog audio.
Does anyone know how to modify it by taking the RF input to output analog audio, like the image I've included

Attachments

• Marantz RF in.jpg
    Marantz RF in.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 54

Rasymar

Does anyone know how to modify it by taking the RF input to output analog audio, like the image I've included

Attachments

• Marantz RF in.jpg
    Marantz RF in.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 47

Rasymar

Attachments

• Marantz RF in.jpg
    Marantz RF in.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 45

Will Call

Hello,
my 21 year old Marantz cd player is starting to behave funny: some disks won't play, the tray door won't open half the time. I though that maybe it's time to look for a replacement. And that is where things got a bit complicated.

First I thought of using a cheap DVD player as a replacement. Found a brand now Sony one for around 40€ which has analog out to my SMSL AO-200 desktop amp.

By doing this I realized what I was missing and so I came to these requirements which I find extremely difficult to find in a modern cd player:
1. Silent operation (must): I do not want to hear the disk spinning when looking for 96dB+ SNR audio output. That kind of defeats looking for a quality audio experience.
2. Short time between loading and playing (nice to have): multi-format devices seem to take their time figuring out what an audio cd actually is.
3. A display (must): I like to see what's going on. Many dvd/Blu-ray players are out because of that.
4. Physical buttons (must): Play, pause, stop, next, previous and eject buttons are a minimum requirement.
5. CD Text (must): quite some albums I have collected over the years (I think mainly Sony Music & Columbia) have this feature and I like it a lot.
6. Index support (nice to have): Some classical music releases have it as well as some progressive rock and even rock albums (e.g. Pump by Aerosmith) feature this. I'd like to see the index of the song that's playing. I don't really have the need to control jumping through indices though. I have one cd that ends with a track that has index 0 which makes the player count down from 1 minute to zero in an endless loop. I do hope that new players support this too (in case you're interested: Adrenalin by Ashbury Faith - the 1995 Columbia release with the Lee sticker on it).
7. Unbalanced output (nice to have): Just because the AO-200 has an unbalanced input feature.
8. Compact (nice to have): My desk has limited space, less is more.
9. Sound quality: SNR & channel separation at around CD quality levels (96 dB or better to avoid investing in an extra DAC).

I did quite some research and found out that the combination of user manuals and youtube videos give me only half of the answers. It is really hard to find out how fast these players start or how silently they operate.
So I am looking for the collective experience and knowledge of the ASR community to help me figure out which way to go.

Here's what I have come up with with regards to new products for sale:
1. Atoll CD50/CD80/CD100 (expensive, no index support found, compact)
2. Rotel CD11/CD14/RCD-1572mkII (probably the most sensible option)
3. Tascam SS-CDR250n (expensive but seems to match most requirements, 1 u rack format)

Anything I might have missed? I was surprised that Marantz does not support cd text anymore (https://support-uk.marantz.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1148/~/cd-text)
Seems like cd players are going technologically backwards like cassette decks did in the '90s. And that's a shame for a format that is high quality and has liner notes to read while listening!

Cheers,
TheKeiBee
I replaced my NAD player with Marantz CD6007. Day and night. All my CDs came alive.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I replaced my NAD player with Marantz CD6007. Day and night. All my CDs came alive.
Which NAD player? I must say I’m a bit skeptical in that I have had three players (three brands) in the past decade and the only substantial difference between them sonically was the output level.

Will Call

Which NAD player? I must say I’m a bit skeptical in that I have had three players (three brands) in the past decade and the only substantial difference between them sonically was the output level.
I can understand. I could not believe the deference the CD6007 made either. It was a 516BEE.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I added a Schiit Modi 3 DAC to my old Cambridge Azur 540C player, and it felt like a big difference initially. However, after I got used to the Modi and did better A/B testing, I found the primary difference was in the output level more than the output quality. I kept the Modi because it was relatively cheap and reassuring, not because it produced a qualitatively different output when level matched.

I also use the DAC in my Bryston preamp for similar reasons, even though the CD player output going into the RCA input is indistinguishable from the internal DAC when compared at a flick of the selector switch.

Will Call

I added a Schiit Modi 3 DAC to my old Cambridge Azur 540C player, and it felt like a big difference initially. However, after I got used to the Modi and did better A/B testing, I found the primary difference was in the output level more than the output quality. I kept the Modi because it was relatively cheap and reassuring, not because it produced a qualitatively different output when level matched.

I also use the DAC in my Bryston preamp for similar reasons, even though the CD player output going into the RCA input is indistinguishable from the internal DAC when compared at a flick of the selector switch.
I also have a Modi 3 DAC . I use it to stream music. It sounds good and is a great value but my CD setup produces much better sound quality. I pair my CD player with Marantz integrated amp. I guess it helps with level matching.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also have a Modi 3 DAC . I use it to stream music. It sounds good and is a great value but my CD setup produces much better sound quality. I pair my CD player with Marantz integrated amp. I guess it helps with level matching.
Amir measured that the USB input could have more performance issues than with coax. I use my Modi 3 only with coax from my CD player. The current Modi+ is better on measurements.

Will Call

Amir measured that the USB input could have more performance issues than with coax. I use my Modi 3 only with coax from my CD player. The current Modi+ is better on measurements.
I can understand. Interconnects are crucial.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can understand. Interconnects are crucial.
I find the interconnect brands to be sonically inconsequential when using line-level sources. However, when used with moving magnet phono cartridges, cable capacitance can be an issue. I use Blue Jeans brand interconnects for everything due to their high construction quality and low capacitance.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I just bought a Panasonic UB 9000 - reviewed here - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../panasonic-dp-ub9000-uhd-player-review.14324/ - to replace my old Marantz CD player and old bluray player simultaneously. The new ones switched from AKM for the stereo output to ESS 9038's. Transport is as silent and smooth as you could desire, plus it sounds great with video quality on the fantastic side. At $1100 list not real cheap, however, the transport seems as solid and quiet as a friends $6000 Marantz SACD player.

oufloued

Hello,
my 21 year old Marantz cd player is starting to behave funny: some disks won't play, the tray door won't open half the time. I though that maybe it's time to look for a replacement. And that is where things got a bit complicated.

First I thought of using a cheap DVD player as a replacement. Found a brand now Sony one for around 40€ which has analog out to my SMSL AO-200 desktop amp.

By doing this I realized what I was missing and so I came to these requirements which I find extremely difficult to find in a modern cd player:
1. Silent operation (must): I do not want to hear the disk spinning when looking for 96dB+ SNR audio output. That kind of defeats looking for a quality audio experience.
2. Short time between loading and playing (nice to have): multi-format devices seem to take their time figuring out what an audio cd actually is.
3. A display (must): I like to see what's going on. Many dvd/Blu-ray players are out because of that.
4. Physical buttons (must): Play, pause, stop, next, previous and eject buttons are a minimum requirement.
5. CD Text (must): quite some albums I have collected over the years (I think mainly Sony Music & Columbia) have this feature and I like it a lot.
6. Index support (nice to have): Some classical music releases have it as well as some progressive rock and even rock albums (e.g. Pump by Aerosmith) feature this. I'd like to see the index of the song that's playing. I don't really have the need to control jumping through indices though. I have one cd that ends with a track that has index 0 which makes the player count down from 1 minute to zero in an endless loop. I do hope that new players support this too (in case you're interested: Adrenalin by Ashbury Faith - the 1995 Columbia release with the Lee sticker on it).
7. Unbalanced output (nice to have): Just because the AO-200 has an unbalanced input feature.
8. Compact (nice to have): My desk has limited space, less is more.
9. Sound quality: SNR & channel separation at around CD quality levels (96 dB or better to avoid investing in an extra DAC).

I did quite some research and found out that the combination of user manuals and youtube videos give me only half of the answers. It is really hard to find out how fast these players start or how silently they operate.
So I am looking for the collective experience and knowledge of the ASR community to help me figure out which way to go.

Here's what I have come up with with regards to new products for sale:
1. Atoll CD50/CD80/CD100 (expensive, no index support found, compact)
2. Rotel CD11/CD14/RCD-1572mkII (probably the most sensible option)
3. Tascam SS-CDR250n (expensive but seems to match most requirements, 1 u rack format)

Anything I might have missed? I was surprised that Marantz does not support cd text anymore (https://support-uk.marantz.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1148/~/cd-text)
Seems like cd players are going technologically backwards like cassette decks did in the '90s. And that's a shame for a format that is high quality and has liner notes to read while listening!

Cheers,
TheKeiBee
I quite agree to your cdp test checklist. i don't care much about cd text though, reading the booklet when listening.

I also own the cd6000ose. And I like it! The internal DAC is presenting an equally satisfying amount of detail, as compared to the mojo, d10s, m-dac mini which I can apply for comparison.

The model still available on eBay. But I understand, one needs a change from time to time ;

Great that it plays all kind of home burned cdrw! (which i would want to uncompromisingly add to your checklist)

One complaint though: the default volume output (for both headphone jack and amp output stage) is set to max when powered on - it shouldnt be, can hurt the ears via headphones, also dont like it via amp! - and it can only be decreased by remote - there is no manual way of setting it, so i have to reset the volume every time again. i even would prefer seperate outputs for headphones and amp output, but that might be too expensive.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Hmmm $500 gets you 50 months of a medium streaming service…that’s long enough to forget you ever owned CDs. And you will own everything under the sun.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm $500 gets you 50 months of a medium streaming service…that’s long enough to forget you ever owned CDs. And you will own everything under the sun.
Umm… I’ve owned some of my CDs for more than 30 years. Once they are purchased, I don’t experience inflation to hear them later.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

What exactly do you 'own' with your $500 streaming service subscription?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I agree that a streaming service is important today. However, you own nothing. You don't even really own anything with digital downloads. So, even though I do a lot of streaming, I'll buy discs that are important to me for different reasons, and I buy private releases at concerts, many of which don't make it to streaming: if they do, I'm still paying the artist a little more (and where the disc is also streamable I'll stream it afterwards which might make the artist a cent or two in the following years, I guess.)

Top Bottom