• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing a tired Marantz CD6000OSE

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
ps... and it makes moving alot easier,

i have about 1000 cd you can have if yu are in the seattle area.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t disparage streaming; I do so on occasion. But you rent the music, you don’t own it. And if the streamer decides to change the terms unfavorably, your only option is to move to a different supplier.

I rent things occasionally, like hotel rooms. I prefer to own.

OP
T

TheKeibee

just 100 million songs
But maybe not the song you want to listen to. I did try to find Angel Corpus Christi's Me And My Beretta (track 13 on the 1995 album White Courtesy Phone) on streaming services the other day, only found it on bandcamp. Maybe it is mysteriously missing because streaming services do not understand social critique?

E.g. about 80% of the albums by Nomeansno aren´t on streaming platforms. CDs vs a well-known streaming service:

nmncatalog.png

What I can stream:
spotcatalog.png

Unfortunately I have more examples. On top of that,many of my CDs do not suffer from being "remastered" to kill dynamic range. When I want loud I have volume buttons and a music system with the necessary headroom.

Streaming works fine for when I don´t want to take vinyl, CDs or a laptop with me. It is fine to listen to in the car, at the office, basically whenever I am doing more than just listening to music.

OP
T

TheKeibee

I quite agree to your cdp test checklist. i don't care much about cd text though, reading the booklet when listening.

I also own the cd6000ose. And I like it! The internal DAC is presenting an equally satisfying amount of detail, as compared to the mojo, d10s, m-dac mini which I can apply for comparison.

The model still available on eBay. But I understand, one needs a change from time to time ;

Great that it plays all kind of home burned cdrw! (which i would want to uncompromisingly add to your checklist)

One complaint though: the default volume output (for both headphone jack and amp output stage) is set to max when powered on - it shouldnt be, can hurt the ears via headphones, also dont like it via amp! - and it can only be decreased by remote - there is no manual way of setting it, so i have to reset the volume every time again. i even would prefer seperate outputs for headphones and amp output, but that might be too expensive.
Thanks for the additional information! I totally forgot to mention CDRW. Indeed, plays them well. Now that I am in a position where I can afford buying music I have been gradually replacing my homebrew copies so that slipped my mind.

Regarding the volume: as I can´t find the remote control anymore I am currently connecting the player through a mixer so that can get all my analog sources set to the same input level. My amp only has one line level input so that solved a couple of issues at once. I plug my headphones in on the mixer to bypass the volume issue. No dealbreaker for me at this time.

BTW, I found another album with CD-TEXT lately: the 2008 "Jungle Blues" album by C. W. Stoneking (KHR-02CD). We really need create a list for those who like this feature.

oufloued

Regarding the volume: as I can´t find the remote control anymore I am currently connecting the player through a mixer so that can get all my analog sources set to the same input level. My amp only has one line level input so that solved a couple of issues at once. I plug my headphones in on the mixer to bypass the volume issue. No dealbreaker for me at this time.
i also don't have the original remote anymore. but i found working replacement here.

Top Bottom