• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing a Magnat THX Sub-300 amp

azedrummer

Hi,

I have a 5.2.2 Magnat Ultra THX speakers configuration, and one of my two subwoofers amp does not work anymore, so I would like to replace it. Magnat rated its Class D amp with 550W RMS and 1100W max at 4 Ohms.

Searching for a new amp, I've found the Hypex NC502MP, which can delivers 500W/4Ohms, or 1000W/4Ohms when bridged. Is it a good choice for a subwoofer ? If not, which model can fit and give me the best performance ?

Thanks !

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
AFAICS this sub has only been out since 2016 or so, so isn't old in that sense. Before you go and spend hundreds on a random plate amp replacement that still has to be made to fit, I would consult the manufacturer's service for repair options - a certainly level of service is to be expected for a sub that still costs the better part of a thousand Euros on this side of the pond. Failing that, find a local-ish independent workshop willing to take on the job.

Pouyoux

I have the same subwoofer and had the same problem twice.

The first time i did use the warranty but it has been a pain in the ass to have the subwoofer repaired.

the second time the warranty was off so I get rid of the integrated amp and got a Crown XLS 1502 to replace it. 2x525w/4 ohms, 1550w/4 ohms in bridged mode but I'm using it in no-bridged mode. I paid 340€ 2 years ago for the amp but now it costs 500€, a Crown XLS 1002 has enough power to do the trick for 380 €.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the same subwoofer and had the same problem twice.

The first time i did use the warranty but it has been a pain in the ass to have the subwoofer repaired.

the second time the warranty was off so I get rid of the integrated amp and got a Crown XLS 1502 to replace it. 2x525w/4 ohms, 1550w/4 ohms in bridged mode but I'm using it in no-bridged mode. I paid 340€ 2 years ago for the amp but now it costs 500€, a Crown XLS 1002 has enough power to do the trick for 380 €.
What about the internal crossover and possible EQ in the sub?

Pouyoux

What about the internal crossover and possible EQ in the sub?
if the original amp has a specific configuration/calibration it's gone.

thx-sub-300_5fbe837a041ed_600.jpg

the original amp has only 3 knobs and I can change those parameters in the Crown XLS.

Top Bottom