• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing a chrome cast audio

Darren

Hi everyone,
Now that the chrome cast audio is discontinued I'm already thinking about it's replacement. I use one in my work audio system to cast Spotify and use the chrome plug in to cast from YouTube to my system.
The CCA has been a boon in my messy workspace and I'm wondering if I can do any better without spending hundreds and hundreds.
Are there any low cost streamers out the with an optical output I can connect to my Topping dac?
Thank you for your time. This is my first post here. So fair winds and good fortune to you all. :)

tlr

I haven’t tried it yet, but maybe a Raspberry Pi with a HifiBerry Digi+ or JustBoom Digi Hat. Probably more like $75 though.

If your Topping DAC has USB you can probably connect a Rasberry Pi directly to it. Maybe for as little as $10 for the Raspberry Pi Zero W.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why are you replacing it? Has it stopped working?
(In other words, why not wait until it stops working and then look for a replacement - there will be others come along to fill the gap in the market.)

OP
D

Darren

Thanks for this sensible thought. I was just wondering if I could replace it with a lower jitter source with more features for say, less than 200.
I guess I'm a little spoiled by the lovely low cost dacs one can obtain nowadays and was wondering if streaming has advanced to the same degree.

Willem

Major Contributor
The jitter wil not be an issue if you use a decent modern DAC.

Tunnelrat81

I actually responded by going the other direction and ordering two more of them while they are still in stock. $15 while they last is just too hard to miss, and I can't imagine they'll completely pull support for it terribly soon.

Any opinion around here about theYamaha wxad-10 for streaming?

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am using Bluesound Node 2i and it's great, not a budget solution though (499$/€)

Top Bottom